Clicky

Nrom Normandy

Thank you veterans

Today is November 11th. It is on this day every year in the United States that we observe Veteran's day. This day is intended to honor our military veterans who have died and served in various wars during the history of our country.

One thing you may not be aware of is that the day does have some significance. November 11th is also known as Armistice day as it is the anniversary of the signing of the armistice that ended World War I. World War I was ended on the 11th our of the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918 when the Germans signed the armistice.

Although I am not a veteran, most of my family is composed of men who have served in every branch of the US military for every war since the founding of this country. I have a great deal of respect and pride for our military, and my brother currently serves as a field medic in the Army. I know many of our members are former service members in both the US military and foreign countries. You have my thanks, and the thanks of your citizens, whether they are too self-absorbed to show it or not.

Have a good day.

Thank you to all of you whom are currently in the military, and to any of you who are or have served in any other military around the world. I don't believe I should limit it just to the U.S, for everyone in a military is fighting and standing for their families at home.

My heart goes out to the brave men and women who have fought, died, and those who currently serve.

My father enlisted into the US Army in about 1972-73 (Wasn't placed into active service since Vietnam was essentially wrapping up, so he instead was training to fight the Russians for the Cold War.) 3rd battalion, 1st Armor (Has been reintegrated into 2nd Battalion, 1st Infantry Division).

I'ma call him up and have a chat. He was in service during the final years of the M60A3 MBT, and was a crewman of one. Got to see the insides of the original prototype model of the M1 Abrams tank, as he would often be shipped between Fort Riley, Kansas and Fort Knox, Kentucky.

He's still alive, and never really saw combat outside of training, but i still consider him a veteran in many ways.

(Note: Scanned from a Polaroid found in his old Yearbook. 1979, Fort Knox.)