Clicky

Kynnaria Merlin

A disturbing trend.

I remember rather clearly when I went through Schola that my instructor stressed to speak up with ideas, or if you see something wrong. It didn't matter what rank you are, every idea, whether from a fresh out of Schola E1 or the Imperator himself, is worth considering. It's how we grow and change as a group.

Lately, however, I've noticed people shifting away from this fundamental concept. Just today, on Ventrilo, I heard someone mention how they were IMed about a policy change that has come into effect recently, and they didn't know who it was. "I bet it was just some Numerii," the person said. Seriously guys? Policy is policy, whether a Numerii is pointing it out to you or not. (In this particular case, it wasn't a Numerii, it was a senior NCO and the NCOIC at the time.)

I've also been receiving a lot of flak lately when trying to enforce other policies, even when standing in front of the person and IMing them. I IMed someone a few weeks back, I don't remember what it was about at the time, and the first thing they responded with was, "Oh, what rank are you again?" C'mon, guys, we're supposed to be better than that.

Agreed, those of us with long tenures of service and/or high levels of rank and/or prestige would do well to remember when we were new. Granted, things were different back then. Easier, in a way since enlisted weren't as numerous and it wasn't as difficult to make your voice heard. Given that the Ordo has grown to the astronomical size that it has (literally the largest military in SL), we need to make an extra effort to honor the contributions of each and every member of Ordo, regardless of rank.

it was a senior NCO and the NCOIC at the time

Then there's your issue Kyn. There's an old addage "The reason he's called a leader and not a follower, is because he's at the lead end of the column." In other words, you lead from the front. If youve got your Sr Personnel, especially Staff NCOs, not following SOP or directives, then why the hell are the Jr Ranks going to? They're not, they're going to follow suit. All that's required, and this isnt bullshit... All that's required is for the NCOs, and the Officers to set the example. Period.

Humans, for the most part, are pack animals. We're not all that different from Wolves or from a Lion Pride, we have many of the same instincts. Ever watch pups or cubs play? Things get a lil rough, one of the adults.. not necessarily the parents... steps in and gives whoever's involved a nip to the back of the head, or the nape of the neck, the ears, the tail.. whatever's handy and they knock it off. When those pups grow up, guess what they end up doing? Exactly the same thing. Why? Because it works, thats how they were taught.

The same situation applies to Ordo. How many of us actually know what discipline is? How many of us are capable enough, mature enough, to exercise a bit of self discipline? Were this a RL Military Organisation then Id guess roughly 85 to 90%, there's always going to be that 10 to 15% that dont.. not much you can do to get around it. Given that this is somethin we do for fun in Secondlife, you can PROBABLY take that to 50/60%, +/-. Given that the groups 330+ strong, and given that SL's done for recreation, those are pretty astounding odds, in a positive sense.

Now of that 50/60, how many are NCO or higher? Just looking at the group, I think I counted 25 Tribunus, roughly 100 or so Principales and 10 Praetors. So 135 or so of the 330ish we have gives you roughly 39-40% of the total group that are NCO or higher. Keep in mind this is looking strictly at the Ordo Group, not taking into account leave/inactivity etc. So, let's call it 40%. That means that of the 60% total that have self discipline, 40% of those SHOULD be NCO or higher, that leaves 20% that are non NCO and the other 40% of the rest of the group that have little to none at all. See how it adds up fast? Now take a look back up at what I said at the beginning... all that need be done is for the NCOs and the Officers to set the example. It WILL trickle down.

This is also not to say that the Jr Members arent responsible either. General Charles C Krulak, the 31st Commandant of the Marine Corps instituted an ideology that was summed up like this:

If two Marine Privates are walking down the road, one of the two of them is in charge.

This doesnt give Carte Blanche for one of them to be a complete dick and push the other around. What this means is what I referred to earlier, leading from the front. Discipline needs to be approached from both ends. It needs to be taken as lead from the front and taught from the rear. Over all sight picture for this? Take that extra minute or two and self correct, dont argue in public with anyone.. ESPECIALLY if there are Jr Ranks around. If there's any kind of disagreement, and I mean more than THIS gun is better than THAT gun.. nu uh.. this one is better than THAT one, take it to IMs. NCOs, Officers and Praetors should be speaking as one solid voice... period. They should be seen as one solid individual, all speaking for the Imperator and carrying out his will.

Food for Thought.

Kish

The same principles and values are still expected and enforced--if not more so--from when you went through Schola. A couple of events do not constitute need for moral panic, they do, however, constitute need for clarity-- vague "this happened" " a couple days ago" "someone" "they" do not assist myself or command in isolating and ensuring the problem does not permeate. That said, bringing anything of this matter to light is always appreciated. We can never be too cautious.

Humans, for the most part, are pack animals. We're not all that different from Wolves or from a Lion Pride, we have many of the same instincts. Ever watch pups or cubs play? Things get a lil rough, one of the adults.. not necessarily the parents... steps in and gives whoever's involved a nip to the back of the head, or the nape of the neck, the ears, the tail.. whatever's handy and they knock it off. When those pups grow up, guess what they end up doing? Exactly the same thing. Why? Because it works, thats how they were taught.

I resemble that remark! >:[~

One of the biggest points that needs to be made is that being a member of the Ordo Imperialis is a privilege. There are expectations, and I know we all have broken that line on more than one occasion. The focus of this point though seems to be that other members are pulling rank, saying "I'm higher rank and do not need to listen to you." Which is plain disrespectful. Everyone from the Imperator to the Hostiles who come attack should be treated with the same respect because without every one of them, there is no Ordo Imperialis. If you feel the need to pull rank on someone, then the situation has already taken a bad turn in most cases. Though I agree a Numerii should not take it upon himself to correct a Officer, on that very same note an Officer should know better.

I agree with Kynnaria, We should be better than pulling rank right away.

Then there's your issue Kyn. There's an old addage "The reason he's called a leader and not a follower, is because he's at the lead end of the column." In other words, you lead from the front. If youve got your Sr Personnel, especially Staff NCOs, not following SOP or directives, then why the hell are the Jr Ranks going to? They're not, they're going to follow suit. All that's required, and this isnt bullshit... All that's required is for the NCOs, and the Officers to set the example. Period.

I think you misunderstood who was confronting who. The senior NCO/NCOIC was the one doing the confronting. Also, as far as providing specific names and events, I can do so, just didn't see a need to publicly point fingers on the forums.

The chain that links us together is the most important thing evaaa~ :love:

GREAT SOCIETY, EMPIRE OF THE STARS, THE IMPERIAL ORDER: WE, ALONE, FALL.

BUT TOGETHER, AND BOUND BY THE WILL OF THE IMPERATOR?

WE ARE ETERNAL AND UNBREAKABLE.

TO THE ENDS OF THE UNIVERSE, TO THE DEPTHS OF HELL, WE WILL TRIUMPH OVER ALL CHALLENGES, BECAUSE TOGETHER, WE ARE STRONG, AND OUR ENEMIES ARE SCATTERED.

TOGETHER, FOR THE IMPERATOR! FOR THE EMPIRE! FOR VICTORY!

*cues military marching music*