Clicky

Agares Tretiak

Praetorian Guard Candidate Trials

Brothers and Sisters in arms, it is time once again to begin the Praetorian Guard Candidacy Trials. For those of you new to the Ordo or were not around for the previous trials, I will explain the process and some of the expectations, as well as what the Guard does.

First, the Praetorian Guard serves as the Imperator's personal legion. In theory, every Praetorian is answerable only to the Imperator and the appointed officers of the Guard. In practice, the Guard works as an elite cadre of officers, who's martial prowess is only matched by their experience and and loyalty. They represent the best the Ordo has to offer in every respect. The trials are an opportunity for those who wish to join, to demonstrate they posses the qualities the Praetorian Guard seeks in its members. It is a rare opportunity, since at most, the Trials might happen once a year, depending on vacancies within the Guard.

Second, the Trials take approximately a month to complete. Unlike the previous trials, a certain degree of training and inclusion into the operation of the Guard will be involved in the trials. Similar to many Special Forces training systems, the training and testing are combined, and will move in phases, covering certain aspects of the Guard's expected traits in candidates. More information will be provided on the phases, scheduling, and Trials expectations after we pass the application phase.

Thirdly, there are certain expectations for those who wish to try to join the Praetorian Guard, those are as follows:

- At least E-3 in rank.

- A clean Curia record in a preliminary background check.

- Must be cleared by the AiR in a preliminary background check.

- Otherwise a member of the Ordo in good standing.

- Willing to devote incredible amounts of time to the Ordo.

Secondary (not strictly required) expecations:

- We look for experienced members of the Ordo, usually with at least a year's service under their belt, however exceptions have made it into the Guard.

- A strong indication of activity and meaningful accomplishments within the Ordo

- Frequent participation with support branches of the Ordo, such as the IEA, Armatura, Tactica, Munitorum, or involved with one of the Special Branches, Curia or AiR.

- Frequent involvement in combat and preferably, raids.

I would encourage, as would the Imperator that any and all who wish to participate, submit an application essay!

Which brings us to the first phase of the Trials. If you're already eager to join the Guard, that's the first step. You're a Praetorian Hopeful!

The next step is to become an applicant. There are two stages to the application. First, you must submit an essay explaining your desire to join the Praetorian Guard (why you wish to join) and what -you- would bring to the Praetorian Guard that would make you an ideal candidate (why should we take you). It must also fulfill the following requirements, or be turned down out of hand.

1. Name, Rank, Branch

2. Date of Essay

3. Proper spelling and English grammar. Excessive errors will result in a denial.

4. Double spaced, in 12 point font, Times New Roman, one inch margins

5. We look for two pages of properly structured information. This means there is an introduction, body, and conclusion type of format used.

6. Essays MUST be submitted in either .ODF (open office format) or .RTF (RichTextFormat). All other formats will be denied.

7. Essays will be emailed as an attachment to the following email address: [email protected]

8. ALL ESSAYS MUST BE SUBMITTED BY NEXT MONDAY, the 7th of Feburary 12 PM, CST. LATE ESSAYS WILL BE DENIED.

The subject line must follow this format: "<YOUR SL NAME> Application Essay"

Example: "Ron Bleac Application Essay"

A few further suggestions on your essays:

- Read up on MLA format, if you're not used to writing essays! There's a dozen websites out there that give you this information.

- Do not list your merits or mention them, unless you can name specifically why you received a particular merit and how it might relate to your qualifications. We will do a thorough examination of your service record in the Ordo.

- Do not lie! The entire Praetorian Guard, plus Aryte, the Curia, and AiR will be involved in reading and examining the essays. We will know! so don't do it.

Once you've submitted your essay, you will be sent within 24 hours (usually) an email saying if your Essay passed initial examination. This means that your essay met all basic criteria listed above. At that point, it will be considered officially 'submitted'. We will then examine the essays for their content and quality. If it passes a vote of the standing Guard members, you will then be listed as an official Candidate for the Trials, in a follow up post in this thread announcing the Candidates for the trials, and the trial schedule.

In the mean time, all interested should become thoroughly acquainted with the Carta Praetorian, though there are some changes in a few sections regarding the trials. the Carta Praetorian is the central organizational document related to the Praetorian Guard. If you are not familiar with it by the time you submit your essay, you will have a very difficult time moving forward in the Trials.

The Carta Praetorian can be found here: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B59xCZt5c_WFMDc2OGU3NzQtNTBkMS00NGFmLTk4YWQtOGU3OGVlNjg4MGYz&hl=en

The Praetorian Guard is made of people who are without a doubt, fanatical in their devotion to the Imperator. It cannot be stressed enough that during these trials, you will be tested in a variety of ways and many of them will test your endurance, patience, and ability to handle stress. In many cases, these will be extremely difficult. If you become a candidate, you have been warned beforehand and have consented to the various trials and their execution.

Finally, I hope that all those interested do submit an essay and participate in this opportunity!

Ave Imperator,

Agares Tretiak

Lord Praefectus of the Praetorian Guard

As a reminder, all applications must be in by Midnight, tonight, 12:00 AM CST. So far, I've received many interesting and well written Essays, and look forward to handing out the acceptance notifications once the Guard has had time to review and vote on the applicants.

8. ALL ESSAYS MUST BE SUBMITTED BY NEXT MONDAY,the 7th of Feburary 12 PM, CST. LATE ESSAYS WILL BE DENIED.

Biiiiiig difference there Agares.

Please congratulate these successful applicants! They are now officially Praetorian Candidates.

Drasamax Python

Afevis Sodertelge

Rei Kuhr

Kishoshima Dragonash

Steeltael Lykin

BurrWolf Qin

Scarlet Flaks

Tsume Xiao

Marcus Tinamou

Stirn Aurotharius

Teron Gray

Morh Giffen

Acheron Gloom

Dascede Aluveaux

Masamune Anansi

Miniature Engineer

Pr0wer Miles

Thatguy Andel

Zacharias Bardasch

I will be holding a meeting via Ventrilo, tomorrow Saturday, Feburary the 12th at 12:00 P.M. SLT. All Candidates are expected to attend the meeting, as I will be covering the expectations and obligations each candidate will be required to meet during the course of the trials. Not showing up without 12 hours prior notice will have your Candidacy summarily dismissed.

Alright! After searching my vast store of paperwork, I've discovered what the time slots were, more or less.

Time slot A: 7:00 AM SLT - 8:00 AM SLT

Time slot B: 9:30 AM SLT - 10:30 AM SLT

Time slot C: 1:00 PM SLT - 2:00 PM SLT

Time slot D: 3:00 PM SLT - 4:00 PM SLT

Time slot E: 5:00 PM SLT - 6:00 PM SLT

Scheduling set up:

Name:

Phase||||Mon---Tue---Wed---Thu---Fri---Sat|

----------------------------------------

1st ---|

2nd --|

3rd ---|

4th ---|

Example Schedule:

Name: Agares Tretiak

1st ---| |- A -|- B -|- A -|- C -|- B -|- A -|

2nd --|

3rd ---|

4th ---|

If there are issues or conflicts with these times, and you cannot make them, let me know, and we can alter the times slightly. Please remember that any un-notated absence from a scheduled session will result in your dismissal from the Trials. Please provide at least 12 hours notification if you cannot make a designated trial session, by leaving a note in this thread.

Name: Morh Giffen

1st ---||- A -|- A -|- A -|- A -|- A -|- x -|**

2nd --||- A -|- A -|- A -|- A -|- A -|- A -|

3rd ---||- A -|- A -|- A -|- A -|- A -|- A -|

4th ---||- A -|- A -|- A -|- A -|- A -|- A -|

On the 19th I have a family obligation I cannot move (baby dog-sitting) at my parents' place. I'll find out the exact time later this week - and which time slot I can make based on that. I'll update this post as soon as I know.

Update: I'll be out of town all day, will have SL chat access at one point, and will return fully on Sunday morning SLT - as per discussion with Agares, Saturday session to be rescheduled Sunday or Monday on short notice pending availability.

Edited by Morh Giffen

Name: Dascede Aluveaux

1st ---| E---E---E---E---E---B

2nd --| E---E---E---E---E---B

3rd ---| E---E---E---E---E---B

4th ---| E---E---E---E---E---B

*I am busy on all weekdays -- that is, Monday through Friday -- until after about 3pm SLT, and even then I often have things to take care of afterward. Therefore, all early times are off-limits to me. However, Saturdays are free practically all day.

Name: Afevis Sodertelge

1st ---| |- E -|- E -|- E -|- E-|- E -|- E -|

2nd ---| |- E -|- E -|- E -|- E -|- E -|- E -|

3rd ---| |- E -|- E -|- E -|- E -|- E -|- E -|

4th ---| |- E -|- E -|- E -|- E -|- E -|- E -|

*Saturdays are extremely flexible for me incase somebody needs the later slot and it fills up.

Name: Drasamax Python

1st ---|- E -|- E -|- E -|- E -|- E -|- E -|

2nd --|- E -|- E -|- E -|- E -|- E -|- E -|

3rd ---|- E -|- E -|- E -|- E -|- E -|- E -|

4th ---|- E -|- E -|- E -|- E -|- E -|- E -|

My sleep schedule is a bit off sometimes but I will go with E in case I start waking up a few hours later than expected again.