Clicky

Hunter Abrams

This is why I carry now :D

This happend at 7/11. 2 men jumped a guy for no reason that I know of. Probably looked at them wrong. They knock him to the ground and start kicking him. I call the police as others just stare and honk their horns. One of the bad guys starts yelling "kill him" I unlock my truck get in the center console grab the gun look up see one reaching into his pocket. run over and yell "Hey the F*ck are you doing?" they look up see some skinny person pointing a pistol at them and they run to their car and speed off. The victim does the same thing. people stare at me I walk to my truck and put it away. police ccame by looked at the video from 7/11's cameras and are imediatly disapointed with them as the cameras only get a 4 foot section of sidewalk thats directly infront of the Red Box. CSPD gives me a follow up call telling me that I was the only person to call and since they dont have a victim theres nothing they can do. With Colorados "make my day law" you dont assault someone much less say somthing like "kill him" unless you want to get shot. Also CO is open carry.

Yeah theres been like 3 or 4 murders a stabbing and a beating all within a mile of my work and in less than a month. Im done procrastinating on this. I have goten into the habbit of always carriing a weapon on me a knife or otherwise. One murder was a man trying to help a man who was shot. Its not about I have even goten my co-workers thinking about it and some are asking me questions about it. If they want the money (I dont carry any money) they can have it its when thats not enough. or like the story above random act of violince.

Very few violent crimes are actually random acts of violence. Chances are the victim in question was somehow connected to his assailants. Aside from violent muggings, most violent crime is committed by people who know their victims personally. The same goes for most home invasions, sexual assault cases, and kidnappings. The random, violent, drug hyped criminal is not wholly unknown, but represents a rarity in most cases.

Though I doubt this'd be an issue for you or...pretty much anyone in the Ordo who carries, a lot of gun owners become less safe in the course of a crime, should a criminal discover a weapon, because there are people who will purchase a firearm and not know how to properly use, clean, store, said firearm. This doesn't mean that carry laws aren't worth it or that I oppose personal gun ownership, I just get a bit annoyed if people assume there's a direct relationship between owning a firearm, and being a responsible user who can react calmly and clearly during a crime and be safer for it.

I.E. some of the dipshits I've known who thought that owning a gun was something like a magic medallion that'd ward off all the PCP pumped psychotic murder-arson-rapist-robbers in a very small town.

Yeah im actualy taking classes and I know to clean weapons. I clean mine before and after use. Also oil them when needed same with the bayonets (yes they need to be oiled to prevent rust when being stored for long periods.) Im taking special classes for concealed carry that cover safety and how to react in stress among other things. Now I know its not a magic medalion its just a deterant and there if need it. Normally I just leave it in the truck sometimes I carry it on my belt depending on where I go. It also for the wild animals in the city such as coyotes racoons dogs etc that are pretty common in the city. as they can carry rabies or just be plane mean and attack when they feel like it. The above reason was just an example. Also this pistol is a bettter alternative than using an AR-15 for home defense as its smaller and not as noisy. theres a reason why I buy the weapons I have. AR was originaly bought for shooting and preparing to join the military (that did not pan out) the K98k was just because I always wanted one since I was a kid. The pistol was a thing I wanted but procrastinated on for a long time.

Edited by Hunter Abrams

I'd carry my CZ82 if Illinois wasn't so against firearms. :c No concealed carry, no open carry, and we are the only state that requires a background check to get a card to get a background check to get a gun. Illinois makes me sadface.

At least they don't make you do the 7-day waiting period every time you buy a handgun.

Also, don't you love the Y/N questions on the FOID card application?

"Are you mentally retarded?"

"Are you a fugitive from justice?"

"Are you a non-citizen alien residing in the United States illegally?"

Seriously. :rolleyes:

I Carry a... Wait.. I live in Illionis. Nevermind.

Although in all fairness, where I live there is no need for any kind of carry.

Also Nrom... The only state that does not allow Concealed Carry is Illinois. So.. Where does that put you?

Also Nrom... The only state that does not allow Concealed Carry is Illinois. So.. Where does that put you?

There's a few states that have laws like "hands have to be away from weapon/cannot be on weapon" while CCing, having to carry in a non-threatening manner, basically. Kinda silly, but I'm fairly certain that NewYork is this way, also NJ, Cali and I -think- Georgia, but I'm sure I could be wrong on one of those.

Yes Zrazor, it's weird. Probably just a safety net so that if you are any of the above and say you're not, they can hit you with a lawyer for lying on your application. However, we DO have a waiting period for every weapon. One day for long arms, three days for handguns.

one thing I have noticed....

in places where it is legal to own a gun, CC or even open carry is required becuase of situations like the original post.

in places where it is illegal to own guns (excluding hunting rifles and even these you have to jump through hoops for), and is all around alot harder to obtain them, there is nearly no need of them for self defense. Look at Canada. violence is more commonly improvised. vehicular assault... knife fights... good old fashioned pummelings. or even the classic.. brass knuckles. sure there is gun violence here in toronto.. BUT its usualy in the form of "spray and pray as you cover your escape" rather than execution styles. Emphasis on usualy. There are some gun executions here... but always related to organized crime; either street gangs or more orgnaized mobs/biker gangs.

It is impossible, to have any discussion about the good or evils of firearms in civilian population, without getting into debate of regional need of such. It wasnt intended as a political statement, but local laws, cultural differences, and the inherent nature of crime being different between regions.

And Cyphre, I am sure there have been studies. But like I said.. Toronto, with a population density placing it among north americas top cities, or hell look at any European city, which tend to blow us north americans out of the water. They prove that guns are not required for self defense, unless guns are already legal in a place. one thing I've learned growing up here in Toronto, living amongst urban gangs, many of whom posess illegal guns... is that owning a gun, more often than not makes you a target more than you would have been without it. Prehaps this sounds contrary to "common knowledge" of people living in places where guns are legal... BUT much of the "common knowledge" of people living in those places, sounds contrary to the "common knowledge" of people who live in places were guns are illegal. And this comes down to regional difference, not a universal truth.