Clicky

Krow Ames

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

I'm continuously alternating between liking and hating the game.

Shit I like:

> Graphics. (The engine is kind of poo, but the map design is fantastic)

> Combat works well.

> Stealth works well.

> Voice acting is okay.

> Free of significant bugs. (Holy shit, Bethesda actually playtesting a game before release?)

> Neat little crafting system.

> Animations are actually pretty good for a Bethesda game.

> Enemies don't scale in power according to yourself. (Getting one-shotted by a giant at level 10 made me smile)

> No more broken economy.

> New books! A bit of copypasting from Morrowind's literature though. Yes, I actually read these.

> NPC sidekicks actually work pretty well, which is new for just about any game that features them. They sneak when you sneak, attack when you attack, and generally don't make a nuisance of themselves. I kind of wish they were able to die though instead of only capable of being KO'd.

Shit I don't like:

> Bows still feel a bit underpowered.

> Fatigue drains ridiculously fast while fighting.

> Finishing move sequences appear to be arbitrary and without a reason or rhyme behind them.

> Removal of skills such as athleticism and acrobatics, instead limiting your running speed/jumping to the equipment you're wearing.

> Exclusion of spears, crossbows, throwing weapons, etc.

> The godawful interface designed for consoles.

> Spellmaking is gone entirely. This broke my Ffffing heart.

> Enchanting is severely restricted and dumbed-down.

> Lack of originality. Wolves, deer, rabbits, foxes, horses, castles, so on. Things you can see in pretty much any generic fantasy game. I miss the alien and weird creatures and architectures from Morrowind. I want my Ffffing mushroom houses and scribs back.

> Disposition system is gone. NPCs now only treat you differently based on scripted events. You can't befriend a merchant to get better prices or such anymore.

> Levitation appears to be gone entirely. This broke what was left of my heart.

> Removal of attributes (strength, agility, endurance etc.) which dictated how much you could carry, how much damage you would deal, how fast you can dodge, and so on. Now it's all dependent on your chosen race.

Shit I didn't like:

Oh hey, my first random dragon. Oh hey it breathes Ice... FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.................................

Using a bow and cheap line of sight tactics, I killed it while level 5 ;/ So I have decided to grind out a few levels and get my low level perks setup. ;(

Yeah, I wasn't quite sure what to make of it. Like arrows are always, by default, able to be picked up. The strange armor and weapons laying about really do have like, a randomized 'Owner' preset it appears. They may have flubbed owner flags on some objects, especially with Riverwood and being 'welcome' in that house, where things change slightly.

The fact that the AI's line of sight detection is sophisticated enough to be blocked by physical object geometry at that distance from the view-source is actually pretty cool.

It is, yes, but its also silly that putting objects on people or running it into them doesnt count as acts of aggression or something.

Shit I like:

> Graphics. (The engine is kind of poo, but the map design is fantastic)

Its not *terrible*

> Combat works well.

> Stealth works well.

> Voice acting is okay.

I keep thinking they sound like Arnold D: Lack of emotion etc.

> Free of significant bugs. (Holy shit, Bethesda actually playtesting a game before release?)

Graphics glitches and CTD's still happen for me >.>

> Neat little crafting system.

Crafting is funky yeah

> Animations are actually pretty good for a Bethesda game.

> Enemies don't scale in power according to yourself. (Getting one-shotted by a giant at level 10 made me smile)

They do once you get stronger then they are.

> No more broken economy.

> New books! A bit of copypasting from Morrowind's literature though. Yes, I actually read these.

> NPC sidekicks actually work pretty well, which is new for just about any game that features them. They sneak when you sneak, attack when you attack, and generally don't make a nuisance of themselves. I kind of wish they were able to die though instead of only capable of being KO'd.

They NEEEEED mounts for sidekicks! I keep leaving mine at home because i ride around on fluffy the terror horse.

Also, zomg that horse .. in ME3, screw the macko, i want that horse! That animal charges onto fortifications trampling on archers and everything!

There is this quest on the way to the greybeards where you need to help someone take his little castle back, THE HORSE KILLED EVERY BANDIT.

The only thing that seems to scare fluffy the terror horse are trolls and dragons.

Shit I don't like:

> Bows still feel a bit underpowered.

agreed

> Fatigue drains ridiculously fast while fighting.

ditto

> Finishing move sequences appear to be arbitrary and without a reason or rhyme behind them.

ditto =p

> Removal of skills such as athleticism and acrobatics, instead limiting your running speed/jumping to the equipment you're wearing.

> Exclusion of spears, crossbows, throwing weapons, etc.

yea i miss these too

> The godawful interface designed for consoles.

Totally a console port.

> Spellmaking is gone entirely. This broke my fucking heart.

> Enchanting is severely restricted and dumbed-down.

I have not found a single enchantment yet and I've been all over .. I think im missing something.

> Lack of originality. Wolves, deer, rabbits, foxes, horses, castles, so on. Things you can see in pretty much any generic fantasy game. I miss the alien and weird creatures and architectures from Morrowind. I want my fucking mushroom houses and scribs back.

There sure are a ton of castles...

> Disposition system is gone. NPCs now only treat you differently based on scripted events. You can't befriend a merchant to get better prices or such anymore.

> Levitation appears to be gone entirely. This broke what was left of my heart.

> Removal of attributes (strength, agility, endurance etc.) which dictated how much you could carry, how much damage you would deal, how fast you can dodge, and so on. Now it's all dependent on your chosen race.

They made some odd choices somewhere i agree.