Clicky

Krow Ames

Dead Island

Not sure what you mean by random NPC shouts. They have canned phrases depending on if you are nearby, or are indicating they need saving or have a quest to give.

yeah, like as in Dead Rising. Like you hear one shout out and its like "ok, imma get to you" and every 3 seconds its the same rotated shout. So by the time you get to them if they've been shouting for a bit I feel like just beating the shit out of them. So which leads me to another question, can you kill the NPCs?

also the mulitlevel gore layers n' whatnot, are those extremely detailed and cover the entire body or just certain limbs? Ive been seeing trailers of people unloading onto zombies and like no bruises or cuts or bullet holes show up.

Edited by Altus Nirvana

The canned shouts aren't quite in the annoying territory like Dead Rising. At most, you hear stuff from people inside safe houses about current conditions, but you don't really stick around safe houses long enough for it to matter. I haven't really tried killing any NPCs, but I'm sure anything dies if you hit it with a truck, and I believe there is an achievement for killing humans?

Dismemberment is what it'd be deemed. Arms, legs and head all come off, though there is more detail to the larger Thugs, where it may take additonal hits to remove their arms. All blunt instruments have considerably higher 'force' and are pretty adept at smashing heads altogether. The only real problem with its current setup is you can't kill many things with the same item due to durability. Maybe I'm just not that far in the game or something, but the likely route everyone takes is simply picking up a nice knife/cleaver or other sharp instrument, and picking up boards, pipes, or paddles for general beatdowns that are easily disposable and throwable.

well what I was expecting was like, some fights that were onpar with the Condemned game that came out a few years ago. You didnt just smack someone with a fist or object once or twice and that was it, you was generally engaged in a straight up bum fight. Which is still awesome today, but I thought with Dead island it would be the same way but with zombies and 20x gore, not just lopping limps and heads off like in Fallout3 :(

Well no, its nothing like FO3. Chopping limbs is sort of important against the larger foes you're up against (thereby preventing them from hitting you at range). In general, its the kicks that will be necessary, and the good old-fashioned headstomp to finis them off once you've unlocked the ability. It does get pretty gory, though I am somewhat disappointed at the overall graphics of everything. Although I knew not to expect much when first running it and DX9 runtimes came up to install first for Steam.

The weapon mod system is nice as well, where you take any pre-existing weapon that is compatible (like large bladed implements for the Shock mods, or blunt wooden instruments for the flame mods) and it modifies that weapon you already have with additional elemental properties.