Clicky

Jayce Iredell

Computer Halp Needed! :C

Ok ok, its not for me but for my mother. Her computer kicked the bucket last week and she is in the market for a new one. She isn't looking to pay thousands and thousands of dollars, and wants all of her old saved pictures, DVDs and scrapbooks etc to work. These were able to be salvaged on to an external hard drive before her pc flatlined but, she needs to be able to run updated versions of the stuff he has in order to them all back.

In any case the computer service guy at Staples Business Depot, is trying to convince her into getting an off the shelf pc. The exact model is an HP Pavilion h8-1020 PC, Inoue heard this already and said "OH GOD NO."

So I am asking here if you all agree, or whatever, and also if you can help me find a better, relatively cost effective alternative, please reply soon as possible with advice.

For all she needs, a pre-built/boxed/etc computer would work fine, but you could probably build one for cheaper. Building one also ensures quality and later upgrade capabilities, but sacrifices warranties and such.

Make sure you consider both sides of things before you buy.

As for picking out hardware, don't just read reviews, talk to people who you know actually know what they are talking about. Remember, the internet is full of idiots and know-it-alls, and these people like to leave lots of reviews.

There's truth, there. You can hit up Newegg.com and shop for parts. I have a "parts list" that will tell you every part you need to make a working computer. Then you can just plug in URL's, and build your own computer right in a notecard/notepad/text

Edit: Let me know if you want the parts form thing.

Honestly, just walk into Future Shop or Wal Mart. Some computers are relatively cheap, money wise, but have some pretty adequate parts. Exceeds her needs, that's for sure -- though the general price if I can remember correctly from my last browse-by was... $300-400 CDN for a starter price margin? I can't really remember the exact figures. Though an off-the-shelf one would be the most ideal.

A $400 USD PC should be fine for them You might even save some money by skiping some basic stuff as they allready have it. Moniter can be skiped keyboard mouse speakers.

You can also save money by building one using spare parts from the old and making a new one with parts that need to be replaced. Im going to do that with my old Gateway GT5012. Doing it that way may save $200+ USD

Also never ever buy a walmart of some other place like walmart. Always get a PC from a Best Buy type place or a computer store that lets you get warranties for them. Walmart is not even a choice for this.

They dont need a power house PC. But one that looks nice will help out greatly for them and one that can play movies/music/basic internet/bill paying/wordy stuff. as the one below can do. I am biased to Intell.

BTW Gateway is a good comoany mine lasted 6 years before my video card killed the PSU.

http://www.bestbuy.c...1&skuId=2632052

Edited by Hunter Abrams