Clicky

Deadmon

2 reasons why I may once again pick up blender.

[media]http://vimeo.com/26339130

1: "Bsurfaces"

What you will see: very quick and easy retopology added to a high-poly reference model, quick easy retopology to convert high to low poly. As well as a quick tool to create new topology from user guides

Is this new? No, infact 3D-Coat (a program ive recently been trying out while working on various projects) does it better and with more options, including a user-guided auto-retopology that honestly is quite badass, and only needs minimal cleaning if any at all. Also done very swiftly by 3D-coats many manual retopology tools. However this is still very cutting edge and very, very, very badass.

What exactly is it? A tool that allows high poly reference model created either through traditional 'sculpting' or 3d modeling methods, or high poly adaptive mesh to quickly be turned to low poly models for export and uv mapping. It is also a tool to create new low poly mesh from user defined guides.

[media]http://vimeo.com/18532854

2: Dynamic Mesh AKA Voxels / nurbs (?im not quite sure what nurbs are, but to my understanding they are a very basic form of this?)

What you will see: A standard mesh adapting in real time, adding topology to preserve and allow for any level of detail.

Is this new? No, Sculptris is the first ive seen with truely adaptive mesh, which was purchased by zbrush and is in the new Zbrush 4 Release 2 update, this is also known as "Voxels" in 3d-coat. All seem relatively the same in practical use, though I havent seen it applied in larger scale in blender yet.

What exactly is it? Its a mode of sculpting that enables each stroke to add and adapt the topology of the model to preserve any level of detail the artist adds.

What does this mean exactly? Blender is going to be more of an all-in one package for 3D artists, while it may not be the best for texturing blender will for sure be a no brainer for beginning modelers, and even more experienced ones looking for the powerful tools other programs provide, for free. Granted Blender may not have ALL of the features provided by the "professional" aka expensive programs, but it will have the cure functions that will undoubtedly perform amazingly. In all seriousness I may consider picking blender up for use at early phases of modeling, to be refined in others.

Edited by Disembodied Hand

Blender is only 'awkward' because you dont know the UI because you havent taken the time to learn. You are familiar with 3ds max and so obviously hopping into ANY program will be awkward.

Not only that, but if you want to be frank 3ds Max is actually out dated these days. There are much better programs that have more to offer.

Blender, with implementation of the tools listed (if you actually took time to watch videos) will be on cutting edge technology keeping up with several programs that are leading the new style in 3d modeling.

These days, artists often make it pretty first, and retopology after. This provides a faster work flow as well as frees you from alot of limitations that previous methods restricted. With the adaptive mesh mode in blender / zbrush / 3d coat you can create whatever you want, at whatever level of detail you want, and then clean the topology with very swift and powerful topology tools after.

I use zbrush, its expensive. Im also considering buying the educational package of 3d-coat for $99. Some people dont have the cash to buy these programs and to be honest blender (with the implementation of these tools) will be a very very powerful tool for professionals and amateurs alike.

Edited by Disembodied Hand

I use zbrush, its expensive. Im also considering buying the educational package of 3d-coat for $99. Some people dont have the cash to buy these programs and to be honest blender (with the implementation of these tools) will be a very very powerful tool for professionals and amateurs alike.

Now days, you can rip like almost everything, and actual working versions