Clicky

Drasamax Python

Internet/Network Issues

So past few days my internet/network has been driving me crazy. It like keeps disconnecting every few minutes when I log into SL or sometimes when just browsing the internet. Basically the ping is normal but then goes through the roof according to my SL lag meter before my client disconnects along with my entire internet. And the troubleshooter keeps saying it has problems communicating with the Primary DNS Sever when it happens. I reset my Modem/Router which is on DSL like 50 times already when it happens by unplugging their power and it persists to keep disconnecting after a few minutes again >:[

We have a 2nd PC on the connection wireless-ly but my connection is wired. Never had this issue before till recently. Didn't do any updates to network/internet stuff, reset the PCs, checked wires on the router/modem they are fine. It's also winter here so its cold out so dunno if weather would have any affect on the connection. So I have no idea why it keeps doing this but it is really getting on my nerves so any advice/help on fixing this would be useful and appreciated.

Mine does the same thing a lot. My router decides to shut off my wireless, which shows up as 1 of 9 million different things erroring out. Might just be a hardware failure? If you have another router try and swap em out to see a difference. Same with the modem if at all possible.

You can also set the DNS server to use google's DNS, maybe that would help as well?

It stopped doing it for a very long period yesterday later on so it wasn't so bad.

Unfortunately I don't have another router that would function to test it with(Old one collecting dust somewhere). Last router I had was replaced by my current one about 2-3 years ago because it had the same constant disconnect issue when I updated its firmware and couldn't figure out why it was doing it when I followed exact instructions on updating its firmware. The modem however was provided by our ISP so would need to contact them for technical issues with that which they may charge a price to come fix/look at things. Also I'm the wired one to the modem/router so the wireless going off shouldn't be the problem I'd take it? Also never set a DNS server before.

Mine does the exact same thing, usually when I need it to work the most. It will be fine for weeks on end until it decides I'm over using my internet then drops connectivity. Honestly it sounds like you need a new router.

Setting a DNS server is dependent upon what kind of router you have. It's relatively simple, All you would have to do is access your router, and input an IP address into a field. However where that setting is really depends on the type of router ;o.

It's most-likely the Router itself that's finally dying out. I know from experience that ISP's specifically sell their own routers to people that have horrid tendencies to go dead after a year or two of use, that way you have to call them up and buy a new $50 replacement.

My brother and I literally have to sit there and WATCH ISP dudes come over and install our shit, so that we know nothing was botched. We're both Network / IT / Tech Support dweebs anyway, and half of the time we can score deals with the ISP to get faster internet for a lower price for like a year.