Clicky

Disraeli Calderwood

Chainmaill

I make maille (armor and jewelry). Some folks expressed either interest in general or surprise at the pricing in TS3, so I thought I'd share a cool resource on maille and one vendor's pricing and time to delivery:

/>http://www.chainmailguy.com/pricing.htm

For me, I'm in the process of a 5/16" 18 gauge titanium shirt in 6-1 european weave, which is denser (and smoother) than the normal 4-1 euro weave. It'll also be much lighter than steel. For a full shirt of stainless steel, you're looking at about 20-30 pounds. With this, I'm estimating 5-8 pounds. Still not great for wearing all day, but big difference! I will be wearing mine at the Maryland Renfest. :)

Dragonscale: Mostly a jewelry weave, but it resembles scales. Pretty awesome. For armor, it's a problem because in addition to bad stretching charactistics, the smaller interior rings supply the strength. Questionable weave for armor-class maille, but neat for trim or casual.

dragonscale.jpg

Some of the shirt I'm doing now, with a roll of the back piece and some of the collar:

tumblr_lz33y3LTbo1r6eclmo1_1280.jpg

And a sample of the "usual" armor weave in stainless steel (I think that's 16 gauge 3/8" rings, though it may be 14g) against the 6-1 titanium. The 4-1 is the large patch, and the titanium is around it. 6-1 is really my fav, it's smoother and makes neat patterns as it moves. It does take slightly more rings and time to make though.

IMG_3950.JPG

And lastly, I'm mixing in some anodized titanium for the shoulder pieces of my shirt, in a 4-1 variation, and adding the blue for trim on the bottom hem and sleeves. Should be interesting. Here's a shot of one of the shoulder pieces in this weave and color:

tumblr_lykljfMkYU1r6eclmo1_1280.jpg

Disraeli

Worked on the shoulders. I've ditched the two-tone idea; it looked too much like a little league baseball jersey or something. :P So it's to be all one color and weave, with only blue trim. Titanium is classy enough.

The two pieces for the front and back of the shoulder section:

tumblr_m38qz7UCB21r6eclmo1_1280.jpg

A closeup of one of the seams. This involves joining rings on both sides for a solid link. Thought I was going to put my eye out:

tumblr_m2vqr3PjiO1r6eclmo1_r1_1280.jpg

Now it's just weaving the strips that join these two over the tops of the shoulders and getting the fit right, so my head goes through the squared neck. Still a ways to go for a full shirt.

More progress. I assembled the shoulder pieces and tried it on. Fantastic fitting, I think. The denser weave flows well, like fabric, and the titanium takes on body heat fast. This whole piece weighs in at only 1lb 12oz. Also: wore out the spring on one set of pliers, so now they don't open by themselves. I expect the other to go soon too, will need to buy more.

tumblr_m3k380LaFs1r6eclmo1_400.jpg

tumblr_m3k380LaFs1r6eclmo2_1280.jpg

Edited by Disraeli Calderwood