Clicky

Mark Karlfeldt

Kickstarter: Projects of Interest

Firstly, there's Wasteland 2.
/>http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2

I don't know if many of you were around long ago to even appreciate the RPGs that came out of the 80's and 90's, but Wasteland was considered one of the crowning achievements of that era. So much so that the entirety of Fallout was based on it, and Fallout 2 even had direct quotes taken from the game.

Personally, I'm sick and tired with the paltry excuses for RPGs being released nowadays. Dumbed-down offerings like Fallout 3, Mass Effect, Skyrim which are developed for the lowest common denominator, and treat the player like spoonfed idiots. Seeing Wasteland and Interplay revived is like a personal dream come true. It's pretty much the only thing keeping my interest in modern gaming alive. I already donated $65.

Secondly, there's this unnamed "Crowdsourced Hardcore Tactical Shooter" from the same man who pioneered the original Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six style games.
/>http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/355932838/crowdsourced-hardcore-tactical-shooter

While I was never much into the tactical shooter scene (I did play and love Ghost Recon 1 though), I know that the fast-paced and gripping titles of the previous generations have been severely dumbed down in later iterations of the series, much to the frusturation of the original fans. I've donated $20.

Even if you aren't interested in these specific titles, give thought to donating even a small sum, as the success of these projects serves more than to just make a new game - it sends a big "Ffff you" to the publishers like Activision and EA who constantly stifle innovation in gaming in order to continue milking cash cows like Call of Duty. It could very well likely create an entirely new scene of games development, where the production of indie games is supported from the outset by the money of fans, instead of just getting returns for the end product. It could spell the return of a number of seemingly dead genres of gaming.

Also you'll be fighting capitalism and that makes Scarlet happy.

ussr1.jpg

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/directorate/the-directorate

It's basically a cold war-like game, set in the real world, but "augmented," requiring the use of a tablet, smartphone, and/or a PC. You control a "cell," and all interaction is through the game interface on either of these three devices. The kickstarter video explains it better than I can at the moment.

Also, MMARG = Massively Multiplayer Augmented Reality Game

The Kickstarter is over (funded!), but you can still contribute to development for rewards at launch and early (alpha, beta, etc.) access.

logo2.png

Crowfall

These guys regularly release information about ongoing development, including weekly updates and some amusing videos. This is one is good for a laugh.