Clicky

Aryte

Officer Coins

There's a bit of a tradition Surrounding Officer/Challenge Coins. Typically it takes place at the bar.

Someone drops their coin on the table and it's considered a challenge to the other person(s) present to produce one of their own.

So Milites Bob and Milites Joe are sitting at the table, and Bob drops his coin, It's a challenge to Joe to produce one of his own. If he cannot produce it, He buys Bob a Drink, If he does, Bob buys Joe a drink.

When you get into a group of people, Typically someone drops a coin and everyone is required to produce their own. If ya come up short, you buy a round for everyone, and Everyone buys a drink for the guy who has the highest ranking Coin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Challenge_coin

For some background.

Sounds interesting, in most cases, they could be used for notable actions that currently do not or can not warrant the reception of a merit. I would see them as a stop gap in that vein. It will be interesting to see what unofficial uses they gain in the future, and how much prestige the Imperator's Coin might garner.

That particular tradition is a LOT of fun in RL, and there is a pay off for having the coins.. as you pointed out, the buying of beer at a bar when you're the odd man out.. SL's a bit different. I think Jeff's asking what are they for in Ordo and what can they be used for here, in this context.

Just thought sharing a bit of History / tradition behind the coins would be neat factoid for people who are wondering what the coins are all about and why we adopted the use of them.

Sorry Jeff If I confused you into thinking you'd get free booze out of it. (outside of Ordocon)