Clicky

Guest Ruin Nefarious

Card Contest (Part II)

Guest Ruin Nefarious

Hello everyone. For the most part, the selections for the card games have been completed. However, I find myself with one last card to delegate out. As such, I have been mulling a way to issue it. I have decided the best course is an open forum post, in which any interested party shall:

• Post here, for all to see, one positive lesson he or she has learned while in the Ordo. For example:
    • Something that has improved your experience;
    • Something that would help other members to know;
    • Reflections on events or fond memories within the Ordo.

[*]There is no length requirement. It can be as short as a sentence, or as long as a few paragraphs.

Selection will be done on 20APR1 based upon the overall impact of the lesson and the demonstrated thought behind it. Have fun and good luck!

:content:

Something that would help other members to know

Everyone in Ordo is here for one another. I have learned to not be scared to ask any question and be shy when talking to anyone. I learned if you part of Ordo, you matter in every way. No matter what rank you are or what position you hold in the Ordo you are important.

The Ordo Imperialis has taught me many lessons, to narrow it down to only one would be a feat in its self, however, as the Lord Imperator decrees, I shall do my best.

Lessons that I've learned vary from how to be an effective member of a team, to how to annoy someone you don't like, and be professional about it. But the most important lesson I've learned is to trust in the people around you, to have faith. It is also a lesson I'm still struggling with, but I'm doing better. There was a time when I first joined, where I felt that everyone was out to destroy me, How everyone wanted me to fail for where I came from, and who I was. But as time passed on, I started to learn that no one here is your enemy. Hell, If you think you have an enemy here, they're not even really your enemy, the usual spiel that they give you about how you're not out for you, you're out for the Ordo. To be honest, I didn't believe it when I first joined. It seemed so farfetched, so fantasy, that a place could exist where people didn't move to benefit only themselves. But as time went on, I began to realize that it wasn't just a bunch of propaganda. That this is for real. Six months and my back is clear of daggers, to many, that may not be a big deal, but with my lesson of advancement being the Vanguard, you can imagine what a bunch of savage wolves they'll turn into if you offer a shiny toy or a fancy tag. Even when Aryte speaks, I listen to everything he says, looking for loopholes he could exploit, check for lies and fallacies. That's all I did the first month or two, but hey, The guy delivers when he says he's going to. There was also a time I felt the officer staff was inadequate, Y'know, that moment where you start questioning everything irrationally because you don't have the full picture? Our current officer staff is the friendliest and the most helpful members of SL I have ever had a chance of meeting. They are dedicated and flawless in execution, if it can be done, they've already done it or tried to. The most important, is to have faith in your comrades, sure you may have a minor tiff every now or then, or perhaps they do or say or sound a way you don't like. But hell, they're just as loyal, dependable, and helpful as you want to be. But to pretty much sum this up to those who like to TLDR, I feel the most important lesson I've learned from Ordo is to have faith in others. In the Ordo, you're truly lost if you don't.

To be honest, I actually don't want the card either, I just wanted to share that with you fine folk as a valuable lesson that actually can be learned. And It's one that I hope others learn, and keep learning, for years to come.

I joined the Ordo with the least amount of experience at the time. Seriously. The day I joined the Ordo was the same exact day I joined the combat community. The first sim I stopped by was Titan - many of you who were there remember; I had a pretty incriminating name, at the time. I immediately changed my display name, got myself outfitted into something more appropriate (although I wasn't wearing anything distasteful to begin with) and applied because I liked to look of the army I was looking at. Then I went to New Jessie after buying a Titan Industries weapon. Unfortunately, about three hours later I was sent a letter of denial from the person handling my application. I shrugged it off, because I understood the reason behind it - they cited no experience. So I went military-searching to see if I could get that experience they needed.

Later that same night, though (or early morning; whatever time it was in Americaland) I was contacted by none other than Aryte Vesperia, who asked a few questions regarding my situation (Why I was in South Korea and what experience I had with the military). Once that was done, only a half-hour later I received a letter of acceptance into the Ordo Imperialis. Within the next four to five days I completed Schola. Within the month, I became a member of an elite squad. Now, almost one year after I joined the Ordo, I sit as the third in command over Evalidus as its Adjutant.

I know I was an exception to a rule that has guided the Ordo recruitment for years, but I'm proud of how far I'd come and how much I'd proven myself worthy of the opportunity. The entire time I've had in this military has been the sole reason I stay on Second Life, and I would never give it up for anything else.

We join the Ordo often with a view that it follows the path of other militaries, or others join with no experience at all, like myself. My experiences were of amazement and wonder at the efficiency and materials offered to me for what I thought to be my own benefit. Schola, Armatura, ART, Rank-exams. An endless amount of educational materials to help us all become better soldiers, leaders, administrators, problem solvers.

It took time, but there came a point when I realised that all of this is not for the benefit of myself, but all of us. The Ordo as a whole benefits from the care and nurturing of it's own enlisted. You, me and everyone. And that in turn benefits the SLMC with a healthy advesary.

Did I learn anything? I learned not to look inwards, but out. "Why am I not an officer yet?" "Why do X and Y not like me?" became "What can I do to help the officers and the Ordo?" and "How can I improve my relationship with X and Y?"

Focus not on the reward for completing a task, and certainly don't pursue something simply because it gains you rank or position. I learned that wasn't the right way. Focus on your goals, your passions in the Ordo, become the embodiment of what you want to see furthered in the Ordo and step up to the responsibilities that come with it. Leadership, accountability, respect. I also learned that now matter how dark your days are, the Ordo will never turn it's back on you, we all learn that one in time.

I am passionate about shaping the future of our enlisted core, which is why I gave Curia my every last bit of initiative, passion and drive for the Ordo Imperialis.

My fondest memory isn't getting O-1 or admittance to Curia Personnel. It's "It is with great pleasure that we are able to inform you that the application you recently submitted was deemed acceptable under review. Your specific experiences and overall conduct have proven adequate for admission into the Ordo Imperialis basic training regiment: Schola. Congratulations, and thank you for applying!"

All our stories started there.

The Ordo Imperialis, during my three years here, has taught me a great many things. Both intentionally and unintentionally; direct and indirect. However, the most important thing I have learned is to take a calm, professional, and persistent approach towards your goals or assignments; whatever they may be. To elaborate further, I joined the Ordo with the specific objective of getting into its praetorian guard. I saw this sub-group as the pinnacle of combat achievement in second life, somewhere I could settle down now that I was separated from Black Talon, and somewhere to just shoot things in this mundane game. I did not ask for much early on but a clean slate alongside my friend Zrazor; telling Aryte that I would not leave unless he removed me himself. It paid off in the end, allowing me to show the group what I had to offer. Guard selections came around when I was an E-7, unfortunately I was not chosen for the slot... But I didn’t stop there. Eventually my persistence lead me further up the ranks to become the Optio of Antesignani. The first official guard trials came around about a year and a half later. At this point I stepped into the fire and came out on top alongside the other fortunate selected. I guess the moral of this story, as old as it is, remains true. When you strive to achieve, and at first you don't succeed, try try again.

One of the biggest lessons I have learned in my time in the Ordo is rather simple. We don't need fancy high tech equipment to overcome. Even using light weapons and a little effort, I've seen lines holding against equal numbers using heavier weapons.

Keeping this in mind, I find little more comforting than the knowledge that even forty thousand years into the future when humanity (anthropomorphicity?) is under assault from all sides, that an ancient SKS and a cold steel bayonet is still fully capable of effectively killing Chaos Marines. This in itself should be plenty enough proof that with a little skill and effort, a soldier using a low capacity semi automatic rifle is fully capable of overcoming a foe using a heavy automatic weapon.

Sure, using an automatic weapon can be an asset at times, especially when room clearing. However, it's not a requirement to win.

Keep in mind however, this is not a rant against automatic weapons. This is geared more towards the apparent magnetic pull towards using heavier weapons at the slightest sign of difficulty. Some of you may be going "I can't change. I've been using spamcannons my enitre Second Life." This is incorrect. When I started SL combat on this grid, one of my most common complaints was along the lines of "This weapon shoots too accurately." Referring to little or no spread. That was a little over one year ago now. Several months ago, I picked up a nice rifle. The ACN M80/10. A rifle based off an SKS. The most advanced thing about it is the rifle grenade, which in itself takes a good five seconds or so to even prepare to fire. I never take it off semi automatic, it has no spread aside from modest bullet drop. I have used little other than this rifle since I got it approved.

TL;DR: You don't need fancy equipment or technology to win, just a little skill.

Something that would help other members to know;

Doesn't How bad or how good you are at fighting.

As long as you work as a team, you will achieve victory.

Quarlling with your teammates and not following orders will Jeopardize your for victory.

Reflections on events or fond memories within the Ordo.

I remeber the time when We lead that one joint raid with the mercs to silver hawks. With effefort we worked together bashing our heads together against silver hawks. Examining our surroundings knowing what kind objective and how to past certain objects in order to complete the full victory.
/>http://forums.ordoimperialis.com/index.php?/topic/15371-29oct11-1318-1451/page__hl__%2Bsilver+%2Bhawks