Clicky

Carrious Darbyshire

An Observation

A few things to note.

Raids could be more frequent, and raid leaders could be more willing to lead. If it can be made fun, then more people would be on it.

I made a fourth check box on the tactica board to encourage more raids to go out. Should try it some time.

How about that squad competition a couple of months back that caused raid counts to be in double digits per day?

Bitching only gets more bitching. If you have an issue, address it properly. Mud slinging is no bueno.

Finally, think before you act or speak. The wrong gesture, or wrong word can leave you on the outside looking in.

If you want to learn raid leadership traits, participate in ART/lead one team. I will walk you through it. And then I'll buddy up with you during your first few raids. I do not have a lot of time, but I am more than willing to give every drop I have to help!

I am unable to make ART and many training opportunities due to timezone, but hope to fix this when I move back to the States, because I do want to lead raids.

Edited by Disraeli Calderwood

I would love to see multiple raids out at the same time, even if it's like two raids at a time (attack two places at the same time). Wouldn't be the first time anyone has done that, and I have had to split up a raid team to go to three different places when I was leading raids in a previous military (we literally had that many).

However, we don't always have the people on, nor the numbers on to go do these raids, and sometimes, I'm hard-pressed to find an officer that is on SL at the time a raid team is wanting to go out (I'm not necessarily leading it, but I have noticed this growing trend). Now, it's probably finals, but after finals, we should see more officers around, right (with exception to some that are on the quarter system and not the semester system)?

Ok first off, lets keep the tempers down a little .. no reason to get all worked up.

While the point made is valid, I have to agree with Tsume that the wording could have been chosen a bit better .. but I can feel where the frustrations are coming from.

But I'm not going to add to the conversation as enough people already are. But, as usual, I am going to hand out some advice when I spot unhappy people :-)

Here's something that goes for everyone, if you are frustrated by something PLEASE don't just sit there and let if fester .. talk to an officer .. or multiple if you feel like the first one you talked to didn't do anything with your frustration.. Even Aryte has an open door policy when it comes to internal problems, I know I nagged him a *lot* when I felt something was wrong. If you don't things will just start to stack up and you'll end up doing things that you'll probably regret at a later point in time. There are already enough people who can contest to that.

On a side note, between my E-1 and NCO time, over the course of like a year .. and a half .. or two ... or so .. probably.. I only managed to catch like 1 or 2 outgoing raids *total* while spending most of my time on Ordo land..

So if you think you're not getting enough raids .. don't get a time machine and move to Europe. :plot:

When I've got uni projects out the way, I'll be leading as many as I can manage with my time frame.

Though I do agree that when an oppurtunity has arisen to lead a raid, and there were plenty of able bodied people to lead it I've seen how people just shrug it off to someone who does them on a regular basis.

Imo, some kind of reward should be given to those that do the raids regulary.

EDIT: If need be, I'll get to a point to start training ART myself during the GMT hours/timezones, that way the excuse "Its not in my time zone" isn't good enough to miss ART. Though I guess this is something to discuss with Aryte in detail before I really push forward with it.

As long as I am online, or accessible... All of the below can be followed by "Let me know, I'll support you, help out, or I'll find someone who can."

• If you want to lead a raid to any target (besides Imperator level)...
  • You're OIC and want to go on a raid and can't find someone to take OIC for you...
  • If you're unsure of your raid leading abilities...

Just let us know!

I know I haven't been around for a bit but i'll put in my two cents. I completely agree with Carrious. There are 120 hours monday through friday collectively. If you cannot take one hour a day or something to lead a raid or join one then there's something wrong. Even if your a builder or scripter and whatnot. Come on. You can sacrifice two hours out of your week to do some fighting for the Ordo. When you are given a position of authority it is your responsibility to lead by example. Regardless of division. In my book there is no such thing as a noncombatant NCO/Officer. And if you cannot for some odd reason at least train a soldier or group of soldiers.

Yes, I do agree. If you cannot for some reason be on Titan or on secondlife because of real life. Like myself. I am not able to be on second life which pains me greatly. But I will not hold a position that someone else can fill. If you are unable. Step down.

Name some times on the weekend and I'll make it work for you! I'll sacrifice my upcoming Diablo 3 time. LOL.

I have created a calendar showing my available times in SL Time. It is in my profile under Location, and also here:

/>http://dl.dropbox.com/u/863795/Disraeli_Available_Times.pdf

So whenever during those times, I am very grateful for some ART for the Timezone Impaired so's I can lead some pain unto the infidels.

With six years of experience under my belt, I whole heartedly reject your perspective and would say worry of failure is a prime reason why someone shouldn't lead raids. If you are scared of losing, you will lose. If you refuse to accept anything less than excellence, choose your targets, reserve difficult assaults to the folks with the authority to lead, use the practices we enforce and use all of your resources, the probability of coming home with a loss is pretty slim. If you come home with a loss, you are certainly responsible. Welcome to being adult and accountable. But if you can demonstrate to me you used your resources and did everything you were supposed to do: no problem. If you half assed it and the quality of your raid was shit: yeah, I'll be mad.

We do have such things:

We have two merits, dominatum and dominatum primus, in addition to the Imperial Warlord title, which in turn has items associated with it.

perhaps some lesser things for those who do not dedicate themselves to raiding every day, but still consistently in a noticeable manner? people to take the pressure off rather than take over completely

shouldnt have to be rewarded for fulfilling a requirement of position. Also, i believe there are already offensive and defensive rewards in place.

obviously the internal feel good success of leading raids inst enough to spur people on to do it, while these people *should* be leading raids there is something holding them back. People do stuff when it in someway benefits them. ether consciously or unconsciously, with a material (gear) or immaterial (attention, honour, reputation, respect) reward. If there is too much risk or work for how the person values the real (or imagined) rewards, the person wont do them.

I hate leading raids because every target, every establishment is full of insufferable jackasses who get kicks out of shitting on everything good in this world. None the less I try to lead them because the idea of sticking something sharp and serrated into the bloated breasts of some Ffffed up hyperfurry with a fetish for eating excrement makes me feel really good, even if it's on the internet.

When it comes to leading combat operations, I've very much gone the go home and be a family man route. I have fine people like Carrious do my work for me while I smoke expensive tobacco behind a mahogany desk somewhere in South America. Meanwhile, he's out turning Charlie into dust with the rest of A-3. What do I do? I watch Hockey on TV and complain about language studies, then ramble on about cavalry charges.

Jk.

I prefer cold steel to gunfights, guttural clashes of metal against bone. The bullet is a mad thing - the bayonet knows what war's about. It's all on the internet, but I raid because I have promised to get at least one close combat kill a day to satisfy my tribe with a skull fit for drinking from when the war gods finally ascend from the underworld.

Guest Ruin Nefarious

@ Disraeli (and Morh by proxy): I can do Friday night, or (painfully) Saturday morning. Only issue with Saturday morning would be probably light participation.