Clicky

At times during the life of this organization, I have felt the need to sit down and pen a writing such as this. Perhaps my hope that it will one day make the difference between a positive fate and one less kind for someone is foolish, but the effort that I place into it is small compared to the benefit it may possibly hold for that individual. So for that reason, I shall indulge myself, and attempt to share with you one small piece of wisdom that I have learned during my time in this life. Many of you who know me see me as a relaxed spirit with an easy going attitude, and that the times I sit down invariably consist of poor jokes and stories of old. To those who see me as such, I humbly request that you continue reading, as that is not the side of me at the keyboard right now.

The one and only thing about this reality that does not change is the fact that everything changes, and in the world we all know, most change comes as a result of choice. Every detail of your life, from minor to major in magnitude, is the result of someone, somewhere along the line, making a choice. It is impossible for us to truly understand and know the full ramifications of a choice when we make it, so we must rely on our intuition, our wisdom, and our morality to guide us, and hope that the needle of the compass of destiny takes us in a direction we wish to go. Sometimes our choices are wise, and are accompanied by happiness. Other times, the path we choose brings destruction and sorrow. The choices we today see as significant may turn out to be anything but that years from now, and what may seem completely trivial could go on to affect the lives of millions of human beings for centuries to come. One choice can change the world. One choice can change everything.

Six years ago, I made a choice. At the time, it was hardly important to me, and it was one that was made entirely out of my heart held belief that treason should never be tolerated, integrity should always come first, and that a cause is better dead than corrupted by traitors. This is a belief I still hold today, and as a result of that choice, is a belief held by others. Some silly little military group on a video game barely three dozen strong without any unifying symbol other than a name, a flag, and a leader, that I had joined not a month into my Second Life to have a place to build and friends, was in the grasp of a struggle for power. The leader of that group had given his unconditional love and support to someone he cared about, treating them dearly, had repaid his kindness with lies, deceit, treachery, and insurrection. Not satisfied to shatter his heart, that individual then attempted to usurp control of the cause that leader treasured in a coup. That in and of itself was wrong on the most fundamental of levels to me, and my friendship with that leader made it personal. I was in a position to act, and so I did. As I previously stated, a cause is better off dead than seized through treason, so through clever manipulation, I circumvented the traitor and the officers they had gathered behind them, putting forward a fresh-faced lieutenant with bright eyes and a light heart. Though he had no experience and was completely untested, to me, he was the best shot we had.

Today, as a result of that choice, and many, many others by many, many people, we find ourselves here. The once mighty superpower that we fractured off of is a mere shadow of itself, barely able to muster a tenth of our numerical might. In terms of technology, we lead not only our community, but are a strong force in the civilian weapons market as well. Our accomplishments in Second Life are impressive, even more so when measured against our humble begins, but that is not what's truly important (at least to me), and is not why I write this. This group, and the results of its actions, have brought together untold amounts of friends, crossing the paths of souls and soul mates who would have never otherwise met. That choice has made me a happy man in that aspect. There is not a single one of you reading this I would not support, that I would not stand beside. Many of you feel the same way I do about the friends you have found here. What we have is not a mere "military," and it is not a mere "group." Some would use the term family to describe what we have, but I myself feel even that term is not significant enough.

This group is something special, something you will find nowhere else that you look. Sadly, this is something that many have taken for granted when making choices of their own, only to realize it later after causing irreparable damage to themselves and others. When you read this message, be you E-1, I-1, or anyone in between, I ask you to stop and fully consider your life, and the role the people who make up the Ordo have in it. Don't just brush it aside. Stop and think for a few minutes. Consider the memories you have made here, the bonds you have formed, and the experiences you will never forget. Think about the last time a group of random lone wolves attacked and our group rushed to the line, dividing up into teams to guard the objectives like we've done in training multiple times. Think about how much fun it is to sit and banter in Teamspeak, talking about other games, TV shows, and what's happening in everyone's life. Think about that ONE battle (every single one of us has one) that was just so incredible, that despite how bad the lag and spam and everything else was, it only added to the charm of the fight. Maybe it was against AN. Maybe it was against Chaos. Maybe it was against 2142. For me, it could be Crucify This, Operation Aegis, Operation Fluffy Kittens, any of the recent AN battles... Second Life combat is unlike anything else in any other game. Furries, fleet ships, ion cannons, Brazilians, and anything and everything else you can think off, can all be found here, and only here. And no matter how much you may try to deny it, it doesn't get any better anywhere else than the Ordo, no matter how many ranks or titles or shiny toys you may be offered elsewhere.

Never forget this. Never forget any of it. Remember it the next time someone says something you don't like, or does something that irritates you, or dangles promises of power and prestige in front of you. The road to get into Ordo is much easier to walk if you only have to walk it once. Friendships are easier to make if they haven't been broken before, and that's a piece of advice you should carry with you even when you unplug the computer and go out into the real world. We never know the full implications of a choice when we make it. We can't. The only thing we can do is make that choice based on objective thought, logic, reason, experience, and the simple sense of what's right and wrong. If you make your decisions with wisdom, patience, and insight, more often than not, you'll come out on top. I know I have.

This has been a rather lengthy discourse on a thought of mine, so I shall bring it to a close. I thank you for taking the time to view it, and hope that to at least someone who reads this, it will make a positive difference to their life. I have asked you to read and remember much, and I fully recognize that this can be difficult, if not impossible, in a time of great stress. So if that is too much to keep in mind from now on, and if you take absolutely nothing else from away from what I have said, I implore you to take this:

One choice can change the world. One choice can change everything.

Well spoken Ethan,

While the foundation of Ordo may be the combat; It is Friendship that is the bricks and mortar that make it's walls and it's pillars.

Your rank and merits are but tapestries inside it. Paintings to be admired, but not crucial to it's support.

When you let your Ego rule your actions in Ordo, you ignore the very support that makes Ordo great.

Well said, Ethan.

I especially like how you also added in "apply this to real life" near the end as well.

I completely agree, If you really take in all you can in Ordo, you can learn and surpass more then most. Leadership, confidence, reaction, problem solving and a TON more can be learned here. When I play other games, I often find other groups or guilds very disorganized and it irritates me, because I want to fix it. This happens in real life as well and its helped me gain a good reputation with people.

Incredibly well written. I appreciate you taking the time to write it. Very astute and entirely true.

Life is full of difficult choices. I can tell you that history has proven to me that individuals who make the decision to run rather than weather the small storms, often find themselves begging to come back inside the house. It is rarely the "system" or the group that is the problem. It's often the individual.

Collectives are eternal. Individuals are not.

Well said Ethan, but there is something that you placed there that sounded a little weird.

Quote:Furries, fleet ships, ion cannons, Brazilians, and anything and everything else you can think off, can all be found here, and only here.

I am quite sure we also exist on other places, besides being real. :p But yeah, it was well written and can even work as a morale boost to some of our members, maybe even the ones who are new around here. Sharing experiences is always good.

Edited by Radryl Allen