Clicky

Deadmon

Battlefield 4

Honestly, I don't like this new trend of the industry to bring out a "new" version every year.

BF2 was released in 2005. BF3 came in late 2011. In between you had smaller games targeting different niches and trying new features and game modes and such, but none of them had the massive amount of content and lively hood that BF2 had.

BF3 brought all this together, new engines, all new maps, even more new game modes, now attachment system, new vehicles, new game dynamics etc. In other words, something actually worthy of a new game.

Then look at Call of Duty. New one comes out every year, the old ones mostly stop being played. New Content/parts of the game actually changed? Close to nothing. Same guts, different face.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who wouldn't mind getting more play out of their money either, especially considering if you buy the expansions like I did.

I guess 2 years isn't so bad, but these still aren't sports games where things actually benefit from being changed each year.

Yeah, there's probably a whole 3 servers available / regularly occupied.

And let me knife people in the front again. :l

Im really torn on this, as a "fully trained soldier wearing body armor" you should be able to take (armor brunt obviously) or at least divert a knife slash into a non-lethal blow from the front.

On the other hand, it sucks when you land it and they end up not dieing from it :[

http://battlefield.com/battlefield-4

Quoting from the EA Community Manager on Reddit (sauce)

Seeing a lot of questions about the BF4 beta announce and thought that'd I make a thread where you can find official, definitive information and help to address some concerns that I'm seeing.
  • The beta will be in Fall of 2013. We don't have a BF4 release date yet but, of course, it will be after the beta.
  • We will continue to support BF3. DICE and EA are dedicated to continuing our support for Battlefield 3. Just as we've continued to support and maintain Bad Company 2, we intend to continue providing the best Battlefield 3 experience we can well into the future and past the release of End Game and Battlefield 4.
  • There are several teams at DICE. Starting work on Battlefield 4 does not mean that we will be abandoning Battlefield 3 or working any less hard to bring you the best expansions we can.
  • Your feedback absolutely matters. We will continue to use it to improve BF3 and to make Battlefield 4 even better from day one.
  • Official details regarding BF4 will always be on Battlefield.com/battlefield-4. We expect there to be a lot of rumours and speculation - don't fall for it! ;)

Let me know if you guys have other concerns. Obviously, at this point there are some things that we don't know or that we're keeping under wraps.

Today's a busy day so it may take me some time to get back to you - thanks for your patience!

• Ian

EDIT: Additional points of clarification

• There will be other ways to get into the beta aside from MoH Warfighter. At this time, however, it is the only way to guarantee entry.
  • We've been seeing a lot of concerns about the pacing of release (i.e. "only" two years after BF3). I think it's worth noting that DICE has released a Battlefield game every two years or sooner AND Mirror's Edge at least every two years. I truly believe that we're in one of the best positions to be creating our next title - Frostbite 2 has matured, we've been gathering fan feedback like crazy, Battlefield 3 continues to expand with features which we can learn from, and we've got more data about how people play than ever.

EDIT: Additional clarification

Things that we recognize that there is a serious desire for, including but not exclusive to:

• A better VOIP solution
  • Battle Recorder
  • Spectator Mode
  • More robust eSports support

Business models change, they are still producing great quality stuff. Their tech is always evolving or boundaries being pushed. Yes EA is making them a more money focused branch but they arent degrading quality.

Theres a chance that BF4 may be the first to do so, but all we know right now is that we can expect it in about a year maybe longer and that it is going to be modern still. While I give them a furrowed brow for the still modern part, I still have high hopes that BF4 will bring something new to the table. Since stagnation isnt really a trait they have, and is the real issue with CoD. If CoD were releasing a new game every year but there was innovation it wouldnt be so much a problem. Its the "lets see how long we can get away with using this engine weve used since the 90s" attitude that is sickening.

Posting things as they are revealed. It unfortunately looks like a prettier BF3. Rumors that Frostbite 3.0 is being run, with noticibly improved destruction.

>http://youtu.be/ZD9fWUUeL00

Low quality leaked short trailer

phase4.png?resize=670%2C335

Unisex soldiers. MP possible.

construction_1p_1920x1080.jpg

crashsite_1920x1080.jpg

close_1920x1080.jpg

Edited by Deadmon

Battlefield-4-sea-battle.jpg

naval combat added? in SP that would be no shock. In MP tha would be epic.

They released 3 videos for "Land" "Sea" and "Air" which they are playing up a ton, its looking like sea may indeed be in MP?

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WZgo0KnEwA&feature=share&list=PLLpjKzWIuEfl4CwBX3gf0RZsdFW1AHKJh

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z4jxkkrrKM&feature=share&list=PLLpjKzWIuEfl4CwBX3gf0RZsdFW1AHKJh

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAOpn_gmKkw&feature=share&list=PLLpjKzWIuEfl4CwBX3gf0RZsdFW1AHKJh

just short CG teasers to play up the 3 aspects. A lot of effort if Sea were just SP

Edited by Deadmon

DICE is trying to deliver what they planned for Battlefield 3 with Battlefield 4.

A more cinematic, realistic and immersive experience of the battlefield. The game looks beautiful with Frostbite 3 engine and THOSE sounds... Am i the only one who LOVES the new gun sounds?

The Campaign will be slightly better it seems, the maps will definitely be bigger and as Dis mentioned, Unisex soldiers for MP can be a great addition to the game.

Hell i'm looking forward to it.

Hopefully Battlefield 4 will be more 'realistic' in gameplay then BF3.

BF 3 went through SO MUCH 'balance' that it's slightly arcadeish right now... Hope they don't make the same mistake trying to please EVERYONE's wishes.

Edited by Chris Peckham

>http://youtu.be/U8HVQXkeU8U

4:50 shows off secondary optics on weapons like in warfighter (in this case a 2'o clock ironsight)

4:50 just before that, a destroyed gas tank of some sort blows a hole in the side of a building (destruction upgrade)

6:00 flexing graphics engine nuts with a bunch of birds and pretty destroyed buildings

6:44 squad commands for SP IE more tactical experience?

6:55 small scale destruction showcase (shotgun wood wall then 40mm cement wall)

6:30 squad controls confirmed

9:19 oooooohhhhh preetttyyyy

11:40 Hey lots of destruction while this heli shoots at me

12:35 interactive scripted moments?

13:53 Ffffin civilians

14:19 amateur surgeon

15:05 ironic song/action sequence time

16:21 hello phone? this is spec ops (reveals china and russia are primary antagonists?)

end: Terrible terrible bf theme noise.

Essentially confirms its going to be a prettier BF3 in terms of visual style, theme, ect (I think I even saw some re-used hostile models). On the plus side it looks like they are adding a lot more than just refined graphics. Destruction, gameplay functions, potential addition of sea to MP, cool optics and animations from warfighter. 

Edited by Deadmon

Yeah. It's like Battlefield 3 and MohW best features blending. I dunno if that was sarcastic but it's Battlefield theme, it can't sound bad no matter what they do XD (I personally prefer the heavyish bassed BF3 theme personally.)

This is more like Battlefield 3.5 then Battlefield 4 but still a game to look forward to.

Battlefield had better gameplay but MohW had more potential (If only they actual put the effort at making it) but hopefully Battlefield 4 will give us what BF3 'lacks' and bring back the good features of MoHW.

Edited by Chris Peckham

I love the dual sight thing, that will be soooo handy in multiplayer. It's definitely "Battlefield 3.5" but it looks pretty fantastic so far, doesn't stop me wanting a 2142... 2 though. :[

All the Battlefield theme sounds in the past have made me excited about the game, this one makes me think of those stupid "xx 360 noscope MLG xx swag" videos and Call of Duty.

Edited by Akara

based on previous naming standards itd probably be BF2143 ;p And yeah that would be amazing if they made it larger scale like these BF3-4 games.

I -loved- the dual sights in MoH:Warfighter. Small Ironsights, small red-dots, combined with ACOG or other scoped was awesome. Luckily I dont recall it being on any snipers just the ARs. We dont know much about the engine but depending on what they improve I dont wanna dub it down as 3.5 for the same reason BC and BC2 are diff games ;p 

If anything, with the addition of naval assets(presumably) and the large improvements they are seemingly making(like the complete upset with the "destruction" in BF3) I feel like BF3 was simply a publicity stunt to get people looking back at their game over CoD before BF4 was released as a real show of force :P

Either way. Clowning on CoD. lol.

Edited by Deadmon