Clicky

Tsume Xiao

Need Ideas - Custom Engarved Rifle Parts

IRL I am building an AR-15 pattern rifle completely from the pistol grip up (as opposed to just slapping two receivers together).

While looking around at some of the different parts, I found a few places that will do custom laser engraving on various pieces. One of these is the lower receiver, but I have already assembled it completely and have no desire to go through the FFL process to get the thing engraved anyways.

Another part that is commonly engraved is the dust cover. For those who don't know/aren't familiar with it, it is a rounded rectangular part that is on the right side of the upper receiver that snaps closed to keep dust from entering through the ejection port. When the first shot is fired, the cover opens under spring pressure when its latch is disengaged.

Commercially, you can get pre-engraved dust covers, but many of them have logos or phrases that I don't much care for (personal taste of what I would/wouldn't want on the side of my rifle), like the Punisher logo, "ZOMBIE HUNTER", and the rather amusing "SURPRISE COCK FAGS". Some have text/images on the inside, the outside, or both.

Here are some examples:

large_304_IMG_0101s.jpg

Anyways, recalling the results of the custom engraved 1911 grips Aryte has with the Ordo logo, and after 6 years of service in Ordo, I figured it could be neat to get one with the Ordo logo. I was trying to figure out how to lay that kind of design out, as the logo could go on one side of the latch but then I don't know what to put on the other. I also couldn't decide if it should be on the inside or the outside.

Then I got thinking on some other ideas and figured I might as well see what all you guys think and if you have any cool ideas.

For reference, here is what the dust cover looks like in the closed and open positions:

a3-ar-15-lower.jpg

l_062201250_2.jpg

The dimensions of the dust cover limits things a bit. They are about 3" long and 1" tall, and the length is divided into two halves by the latch mechanism.

Some basic rules for design ideas.

1. It can't be too obscene. This will be seen by others.

2. No military insignias. I feel that would be disrespectful to those who have actually served.

3. Nothing stupid. :/

Here are some ideas I have had.

1. Ordo logo on the inside panel closest to the pistol grip (back panel). No idea what, if anything, would look good on the other inside panel

2. "FRONT TOWARDS ENEMY" on the back inside panel like an M18 Apers mine and an arrow pointing towards the muzzle on the front inside panel like an AT4.

3. Either of the above ideas, but on the outside of the panel so they would only be visible when the ejection port is covered / dust cover is closed. The problem is it wouldn't be seen during use much.

4. Possibly do something with the Ironsight Armaments logo. Not sure on that one but an idea to have the logo on the back panel and possibly the text on the front.

5. A kosher certification symbol or the words "CERTIFIED KOSHER"

6. AR-15 bolt face logo on the back panel. Blank front panel or caliber listed on front panel

That's pretty much all I have idea wise. Let me know what you think, if you would lay them out differently, or if you have any fun ideas of your own.

Ordo Roundel or Ironsight logo on the rearward panel of the cover, displayed when in the closed position. National/State Flag of choice in the forward panel in same configuration (If US flag, or any flag that has a discernible side that is posted closest to the mast, the Field goes forward).

"E'ryday I'm Shufflin'" split between the two panels when in the open position.

Oh yeah one thing I forgot to add.

While the dust cover door itself is just held into place by a rod and one end of it is held captive by a c-clip, the other side is held in place by the end of the handguard assembly(Delta ring for a standard handguard, other parts for a free floating system). This means that changing the dust cover door requires removing and re-installing the handguard assembly, which requires special tools and a special vice insert.

This door would be expected to be in place for a long while and is not something I could just change out at will, like the grips on a 1911.

That's not a surefire muzzle brake by any chance, is it?

No. It is the new muzzle brake from Damage Industries. It is available in 1/2x28, 5/8x24 for AR's and 14-1 for AK's. It is similar to the original muzzle brake used on the Barret M468.

Right now I only need four more parts to have a functioning rifle: gas block, gas tube, handguard and bolt carrier group. The only one I am somewhat undecided on the the handguard, as I am looking between four different ones.