Clicky

Jason WInslet

Driver UPDATE!

Here's a tip, if you're able to read this post, you'll be able to read the following:

Open Start menu (I'm assuming you're on Windows 7.)

Type, in the "Search programs and files..." textbox, msinfo32.exe

Press Enter.

Your system information should now be on your screen. If it isn't, stop reading this guide; you're not on Windows 7. hurpadurp.

Navigate to the "Components" section of this new window; click it to open a drop down.

Click "Display."

On the right hand side, you will see "Item" and "Value." The first row below "Item" will say "Name"; your-GPU-is-here.

Usually this will be prefixed with either ATI or Nvidia. For example, here is mine: Name ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series.

Then go to Google and type in the name of the manufactuer (ATI), followed by the name of the card (Radeon HD) followed by the set of numbers (5800.)

If you shop around for a new computer, know that laptops just aren't made for gaming. And you get what you pay for. I built my computer by buying all the parts. I payed a fraction of what a company like alienware would have charged, and I got a cooler case than they offer.

The core issue with a laptop is that you can't upgrade it easily. And there is no way to upgrade the graphics card on one.

If you shop around for a new computer, know that laptops just aren't made for gaming. <snip>

Actually, it should be -most- laptops aren't made for gaming. There are gaming laptops, just look for the "High Performance" or "Media" laptops, as they often will have good video cards (mine has an nVidia GeForce GT230M and can run SL at high, around 20-30 FPS).

The core issue with a laptop is that you can't upgrade it easily. And there is no way to upgrade the graphics card on one.

This, is most often the case. There are some where you can upgrade the graphics card, but otherwise, you're upgrading the hard drive or RAM (You may be able to get a new graphics card by getting a new mainboard, but that's it).

Allow me to illustrate just how bad of an idea it is to buy a labtop, with the intent of keeping it upgraded in the future.

8NzVA_zps3d9048da.jpg

Okay, that's a big image! Let's get a better idea of what we're looking at.

identify_zpse88edc16.png

Please note that to upgrade laptops, you gotta take it apart. If you want to replace fundamental parts (HDD, the monitor, CD/DVD drive, GPU (although these are optional, in most cases)) you have to take it apart completely. You also have to make sure you're properly handling the laptop; static shock can kill electronics. By the way, I know, RAM is fundamental; it's just a lot easier to change than those listed above.

Now, go find a tower-PC. Make the front (the side that has the CD-Drive,) point towards you. On the left hand side, you can find screws on the back of the computer (this wording is weird, it's kinda hard to explain...)

Unscrew these screws (usually two or three.) Now, you can easily slide the side off; now you're looking at the inside of your computer, where you can easily adjust core components with little-to-no hassle.

--

tl;dr Do not try to work on your laptop. Buy a tower-PC.

<snip> Please note that to upgrade laptops, you gotta take it apart. If you want to replace fundamental parts (HDD, the monitor, CD/DVD drive, GPU (although these are optional, in most cases)) you have to take it apart completely. You also have to make sure you're properly handling the laptop; static shock can kill electronics. By the way, I know, RAM is fundamental; it's just a lot easier to change than those listed above.<snip>

Actually, the newer laptops make it easier to remove the HDD, RAM, Optical Drive and Wireless cards. In some cases, you just need to remove one or two doors, unscrew 2-4 screws, and in some cases, disconnect something to gain access to another (Like mine, remove the HDD to gain access to the wireless/bluetooth combined module). In most cases, you'll need to replace the mainboard to upgrade the GPU.

And my current and previous laptop, I can remove a door to gain access to the HDD and RAM (my previous laptop is from '05, current from '10).

However, to replace or clean, either be prepared to remove a shitton of screws (10-26+) and have time on your hands, or hire someone to do that for you (and pay about $50).