Clicky

MikeMurdock McMillan

MechWarrior Online

Not super interested in this one but I got beta access. I probably wont even download it because of how it looks like its being set up (IE Pay to win, instead of Pay for impatience)

If you guys end up giving it good reviews I may sample it at least.

It occurs to me that maybe you've never actually played a Mechwarrior game. If you had, you'd know that there really isn't a way to "pay to win." As far as I can tell, you'll be able to buy mechs with real money. Having access to more mechs does not make you skilled, and the Mechwarrior series is a fundamentally just a game of skill.

Ive played plenty of mechwarrior, though I dont claim to be a huge fan. And your assessment of no "pay to win" isnt exactly on point. Especially since previous mechwarriors didnt exactly work on this platform with free and pay setups.

Pay To Win - generally a free to play game with in-store options purchased with only real life $ that have improved stats / abilities. While these items are improved a skilled free player can still overcome them, its just added bonuses you must purchase with real $.

Pay to Progress - A free to play game that all items are available to both free and paying players. Paying players just have the added bonus of not having to work for their unlocks or equipment, which if acquired freely could take substantial time.

A free player could very well still win in competition, but games that set are set up to give paying players an edge are "pay to win"

Look at PS2, a free to play game that is more "pay to progress" since the only $ only implants are resource and xp gains. Everything else is available to free players.

Or... as you yourself said...

Man, I was afraid that MWO was going to go this way.

But seriously, Ffff MWO if they want to pull that kind of bullshit, I'll keep playing MW Living Legends, the Crysis mod.

Open Beta released pushed for stability reasons. MWO will not be selling a Steel Batallion style controller, and Steel Batallion mechs have more toggles than controls for MWO. If you want a more battletech esque version which will work, you can go with a SaiTek flight stick and throttle control, although throttle and joystick support is limited at this juncture and won't be up to par with say MW2/MW4's joystick inputs which were both perfected to an art.

been playing mwo all weekend, they still need more balance, but so far it doesnt feel pay2win, I've jusy bought a hunchie on free currency and I've been taking down atlases and awesomes that have been paid for with real money (you can tell by the snazzie paint jobs)

definately worth a peek if you get the chance

Necroing this thread real quick if a moderator would be so kind.

Does anyone here play MechWarrior Online at all? The developers dumped the publisher and PGI has been doing some fairly good work in the last few months, making good progress on features promised from launch. Community warfare (group warfare) has been added in the latest patch and though it's still in early beta, it seems like good fun.