Clicky

Xoza

Cataclysm Scenario: What's your plan?

We've all seen the movies, television shows and games based around certain types of disasters, natural or man made. We've seen them happen on any level or type, in any place, at any time. Some of us have even prepared for them in the past or helped clean them up. So i'm sure we've all speculated what you would do if you were part of it, you certainly wouldn't be one of those extra's that get taken out of the picture in the first few minutes, you'd be that main character. As part of a personal interest and a Critical Thinking project for class, I'm curious as to you would have planned for such things.

When I was younger kept track of some conspiracy theory and analysed it, though I'm not much into it anymore I remain vigilant and observant as I believe to a degree it stems from some kind of truth or warning to us. That aside, this is not a '2012 OMG end of the world discussion'. I'd just like to see what the every day individual would have planned, if anything.

The level of these scenarios do not change the position of the earth but may alter the livable environment or structure of society.

Scenario's

1. Anomaly: Nearby, a scientific anomaly devastates and destroy's a large portion of the planet or continent leaving it desolate and uninhabitable, during which an EMP effect engulfed the planet rendering most electronic devices useless. You live close enough to feel and be part of the effect but it did not effect you directly.
  2. Government: Your government or effecting governing world has collapsed in on itself and splintered. Border wars and skirmishes begin to break out and basic law begins to break down.
  3. Time: Through whatever means, you've traveled hundreds of years through time. The area you find yourself in is heavily overgrown.
  4. Virus: A virus takes hold of the population slowly killing off higher brain functions often later killing the host or turning them into rabid animals, this virus however has no effect on children under the age of 14 or animals, but can be carried by animals and can only be transferred by blood.
  5. War: An invader of any type attacks your country or group of countries simultaneously with devastating weapons. You're area has not yet been hit with a weapon of mass destruction but you hear occupation is taking place quickly. This invader is dedicated and relentless to whatever goal they may have.
  6. Weather: Most of the livable planet quickly becomes too hot, or too cold for whatever reason and causes major flooding and unpredictable weather changes across the globe.

What's your plan? How would you survive or approch the situation?

If you formed or joined a colony or community to help yourself survive the scenario, what could you contribute?

Anomaly: I would use the weapons I own to survive in the nearby woods or surrounding areas. I imagine this being a sort of radio-logical anomaly, similar to Chernobyl or Fukushima.

Government: Again, I would use the weapons I own for survival. Live as a loner and just go from place to place, avoid confrontation, just scavenge basic needs even if I have to drop someone to get it, since there are no laws. Welcome to Anarchy.

Time: There would probably not be any man made structures, or if there are, they're over-grown to a point that it looks worse than Machu-Picchu, I'd have to say that just living like a caveman, all hunter-gatherer style is probably the best route. Anywhere is inhabitable, I assume.

Virus: Again, I would use the weapons I own for survival. Kill everything that's infected, and anyone that isn't can go Ffff themselves. They're just more of a risk to drag me down. I imagine I might take the same plans as my Government plan.

War: Again, I would use the weapons I own for survival. Be all Red-Dawn and shout WOLVERINES!, or just live inna woods and use the same plan as Goverment/Virus.

Weather: If too hot, I'd have to live near somewhere with water. Water can easily be turned into a power generator. Electric generators can be converted into means of cooling. All of this however would require that I am near somewhere that has a small town or city to access parts to scavenge. If too cold, I'd simply wrap up in blankets and clothes and try to hunt what animals are still alive. If none, well, I guess I'm eating snowcones. Yum.

Overall: I cannot imagine myself ever working with a community or colony unless there is substantial benefit from ever joining one. I'm capable enough to fend for myself and survive alone, and I won't let anyone else take priority away from my own survival. You don't need friends when you got #swag.

1. Anomaly: Arm up with Five-seveN, Kimber, M44 with respective ammunition for each. Pack plenty of socks and underwear, three sets ACUs, two pair boots, Victorinox multitool, leatherman multitool, dagger, ka-bar, p38, canned ham, baked beans, carrots, green beans, 9x19mm and 7.62x39mm ammunition to use as de facto money. Trek out of range of effected zone.
  2. Government: Arm up with Five-seveN, Kimber, M44 with respective ammunition for each. Pack plenty of socks and underwear, three sets ACUs, two pair boots, Victorinox multitool, leatherman multitool, dagger, ka-bar, p38, canned ham, baked beans, carrots, green beans, 9x19mm and 7.62x39mm ammunition to use as de facto money. Move at dawn to early morning and late evening to dusk through buildings foraging for supplies and shelter; daylight hours: conduct surveillance and move around hostile engagements; night time hours: rest as much as possible in ditches, caves, rock formations, tunnels, animal carcasses, or human body piles in the last resort if available and moving when necessary. Avoid large cities and towns. If picking up fellow survivors is possible and practical, teach limited knowledge of warfare (remember, I was Artillery) and continue on. If not practical, incapacitate or kill on site (loot bodies).
  3. Time: Find weapon. If one can not be found, make one. If one can not be made, use bare hands and feet. Find shelter, build fire, forage for food, rest. Lather, Rinse, Repeat until normalcy and understanding of what happened comes about. Try to make way to former cities for weapons, ammunition, food and supplies. Avoid 'people' as much as possible.
  4. Virus: Arm up with Five-seveN, Kimber, M44 with respective ammunition for each. Pack plenty of socks and underwear, three sets ACUs, two pair boots, Victorinox multitool, leatherman multitool, dagger, ka-bar, p38, canned ham, baked beans, carrots, green beans, 9x19mm and 7.62x39mm ammunition to use as de facto money. Kill all the things. Heavily non-perishable food diet. Scrounge for supplies and find vehicular transport to large but isolated hospital, killing things as I make my way. If symptoms appear apparent, apply .45 caliber bullet through bottom of skull. If unsuccessful, try again.
  5. War: See Scenario: 2. Government.
  6. Weather: Both cases: Arm up with Five-seveN, Kimber, M44 with respective ammunition for each. Pack plenty of socks and underwear, three sets ACUs, two pair boots, Victorinox multitool, leatherman multitool, dagger, ka-bar, p38, canned ham, baked beans, carrots, green beans, 9x19mm and 7.62x39mm ammunition to use as de facto money. Too Hot: Move to mountains, close to a moving body of water, forage, survive. Too cold: move to small city or town and scrounge for basic supplies; clothes, blankets, wood, petroleum products, foam, ammunition, canned foods. Fellow Survivors: Avoid, terminate if encountered outside of mercantile business.

Time: Find some sort of weapon while scrounging for basic necessities (Food, CLEAN water, shelter). Use temporary shelters and find any evidence of civilization.

Weather: Find where the weather isn't too hot or cold, evacuate there.

Government: Carry sidearm concealed. If possible, continue to live normally. Else, see below.

All other scenarios: Arm up with m77 and sidearm (only weapons I have). Bring plenty of bullets. Evacuate to Government Camp (Mt. Hood) or nearest mountainous town. If not possible, evacuate to a remote hospital that is staffed, help with defense there (Hippocratic oath).

Anomaly: Drown, sea level rise from melting ice caps.

Government: Die from nuclear attack on local AFB or drown because they missed and blew up the dykes.

Time: Drown, sea level rise from 100 years of global warming. Either that or hope that neko's have become real and spend the rest of my days in a cuddle pile :P

Virus: Join the army, help exterminate infected.

War: see Gov.

Weather: See anomaly.

The whole solo survivor is kinda silly, way to help save the human race. You need like 100 genetically different people to be able to successfully repopulate. Forgot the exact numbers but some guy did the math once.

If you *are* the sole survivor .. well .. have fun ? Not sure with what ..

But yea, weapons are not really generally available here, just things like crossbows and normal bows in sport shops. air rifles are not really powerful enough and are too slow to stand up to more then 1 threat. Not even big cutting knifes unless its kitchen stuff.

War? Repeat the actions of my grandfather and great grand father even if it kills me. Go underground, Ffff over the occupation by sabotaging ways of travel, munition depots and such. I am very proficient in technology and making explosives. I don't own a gun myself. I know where to get them easily though.

Defend my country and people till my death. The greatest honor.

Groep%20G%20medaille.JPG

Groep%20G%20Brussel%201945.JPG

Anomaly: Mostly just float around the Zone killing bandits and trying to find a guy named Strelok.

Government: Arrive at City 17, find a crowbar, kill anything that gets in my way, and solve a series of increasingly difficult puzzles until I've reached the Citadel and killed Dr. Breen.

Time: Just play my ocarina to get back to whatever time I was previously in.

Virus: Fight my way from safe room to safe room until I get to a helicopter and just run off and leave my companions to be mangled by a Tank.

War: Defend Burger Town.

Weather: idk no game ever covered this one. D:

Guest Ruin Nefarious

1. Anomaly: Join whatever shadowy organization G-Man represents.

2. Government: Join the Union.

3. Time: Join the Imperial Guard.

4. Virus: Join Umbrella.

5. War: Join the Enclave.

6. Weather: Join the . . Planeteers.

feature_image_1b.jpg

Edited by Ruin Nefarious

BUT HOW WILL YOU GET TO ARIZONA IN TIME? Aryte may have already been on the move for survival and with no way to communicate in most scenarios how will you track him down? It will be hard to find him even if in a government organization with no easy way to communicate rosters and movement orders while essentially at war with the rest of the nation to reforge territories.

PLAN MORE KELLER YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON IT IN A FICTIONAL SCENARIO YOU MOST LIKELY WONT SEE IN YOUR LIFETIME.

1. Anomaly: Probably be killed by a nearby band of marauders as I attempt to make my way to the Amish in Penn; they'd know what the Ffff to do, probably, as they don't use a lot of advanced tech anyways...
  2. Government: Enlist in a nearby warring faction.
  3. Time: Probably starve or eat toxic wildlife on accident.
  4. Virus: Kill myself. I wouldn't want to kill my friends and family after they become infected.
  5. War: Turncoat or go into hiding. It's hard to choose.
  6. Weather: Considering I'm more in the Northern hemisphere and I'm inland, I'd probably freeze to death.

We all can't be heroes.