Clicky

Agares Tretiak

Essay Series

I am starting a series of short essays I've written or will be writing, to cover some of the philosophy behind the Ordo Imperialis. I undertook this project after a brief discussion with the Imperator. With all our new members, this will provide a better idea of the rationale behind how this organization operates and thinks, at least in an ideal manner. To older members, it can reinforce and perhaps hopefully provide voice and insight to the things we see and wish to express about the Ordo Imperialis.

I welcome any and all comments or discussion regarding the essays or even suggestions for future topics I can cover in an essay for us to read. The first three are closely tied, being on the subjects of Leadership, Service, and Duty (all of which are very central tenets of our organization).

For those of you who may be new to the Ordo Imperialis, a brief introduction is in order. I am the commander of the Praetorian Guard, the Ordo's elite combat unit and also the Imperator's personal bodyguards and heralds. This also means I serve as the titular second in command of the Ordo Imperialis. I've been a member of the Ordo Imperialis for something like 5 years now, though I've honestly lost count of the exact number of months it's been. You will primarily see me on Titan on my days off from work, though with wrapping up a recent move, you might see me around more frequently (much to my relief). I'm always glad to assist Ordo members with concerns or questions (so that you may not have to bother the extremely busy Imperator, Lord Vesperia).

Leadership: An Essay on the Philosophical Practice of Leading Others

Agares Tretiak

Lord Praefectus of the Praetorian Guard

Leadership is an act of service. Service to an ideal, to ethical standards, to a person or group of people. When one dons the mantle of a leader, they must be prepared to take responsibility for not only their own mistakes, but the errors that those they lead might make. They must be prepared to sacrifice time, personal perspective, and even a portion of their private life in order to be effective and respected. Their service is meant to elevate the lot of not themselves, but those they lead in war, in peace, and in preparing for both. Within the Ordo Imperialis, a leader serves in two primary capacities: The first, by taking on a position of authority and leading his subordinates responsibly; the second in serving the interests and vision of the Imperator by providing the desired results.

The Ordo's leadership is and must be prepared to uphold the strictest sense of duty and ethical standards in order to serve as a guiding beacon to the rest of its membership. The concept of being beyond reproach must apply to the reputation and demeanor of each and every officer, in all their dealings with their subordinates. Any leader must be prepared to excuse themselves from a situation where their impartiality is in question or risk besmirching the basis of their authority and in turn, the respect and trust of their subordinates.This leads to the maintenance of a rational 'distance' between a leader and those he leads and it is not a mark of someone who is disconnected from those they lead, but an officer who understands the clear line between personable leadership and responsibility and becoming embroiled in the divisive nature of personal friendships and relations that can decay their position and reduce the effective word of their position. To permit one's personal feelings to cloud their sense of responsibility and become too familiar with their subordinates is to invite disaster and an end to their ability to execute their office effectively.

Those who specifically will lead the Ordo into battle must be prepared to quash dissenting or rebellious actions, even by friends and cohorts whom they may greatly respect, in order to maintain overall command and control of the situation. It does not do to play favorites or turn a blind eye to the actions of a friend, if you must lead not just your friends, but individuals who are not your friends in an unassailable and steadfast way. This also prevents the establishment of dreaded cliques and factions that may serve to undermine unity of purpose and action and permit the officer corps to act in an amiable and respectful manner to each other, as they have purposely removed themselves from any question of bias and uneven treatment. This grants an officer greater authority and more respect as they become an arbitrator of discipline and a mediator of disputes, leading with an unquestionable manner of leadership and professionalism.

It is the goal of all who serve as officers and leaders to attain these qualities and maintain them in not just themselves, but their peers and even subordinates. The vigilance and reinforcing efforts to maintain authority and respect improve the cohesion of the greater part of the Ordo's leadership caste and in turn improve unity and at the very least, perception of unity among the rank and file. It does not matter if one is a Praetorian or an Officer, they both serve as leaders and should in turn, serve to reinforce the other's position of authority and command in a complimentary and effective manner, as all serve our Lord, the noble Imperator and his vision. Both groups have a sworn duty to uphold the Ordo and its ideals, and playing in a factional manner is detrimental to that very oath of service, especially if it comes from anyone who is in a position of leadership.