Clicky

Aryte

Regarding Ratchet Exonar's Expulsion

Rumor mill time, hooah!

As apparently folks are buying into this line of "Ratchet Exonar did nothing wrong, and Aryte flipped out on him for no reason," let me paint the picture for you.

After I spent forty minutes going over intricate details as to what the Ordo is doing, how we're going to do it, and what our future will hold . . . Ratchet decided it was a good idea to raise his hand and ask a question. So far, so good.

His question? "WHY IS THIS IMPORTANT?"

So let me get this straight: you do not understand why the future of our group, its structure and design, is important? Now, I gave him the opportunity to adjust that query and asked back. "Were you paying attention, or?"

To which he replied. "Yeah, I just don't see why this is important to me."

If the group's future, its structure, and intricate design isn't important to you . . . at least have the dignity to not undercut an entire presentation I just did, by essentially trying to call it out in the middle of 44 other people. I removed him after that and spoke to him in world. To which he simply told me that I "am a dick" for ejecting him and underlined he saw nothing wrong with his action. He then told me he asked because he "didn't understand the idea behind Ordo moving out of SLMC" and was objecting to it by asking that question.

Okay, so that only underlines the fact what he did was incredibly disrespectful. The decision to leave the SLMC is long passed.

A meeting on structure of our future =/= the opportune moment to try to be a rebel and "challenge" the status quo.

Think of it this way. Let's say we're all in a classroom, and Professor Aryte is giving a lecture on the history of World War II. After I elaborate on the intricacy of some critical event in battle, I open up the classroom for questions. A bright eyed, young man raises his hand and asks. "Professor, why is this critical event, which you just explained in great detail, important to me? I object to the outcome of this battle, so I want you to answer for it, in front of these other 44 students?"

You'd get thrown out of the classroom.

If you are his friend or just generally don't see where this was a disrespectful event, well, I'm sorry. But I'm not one to let someone's social aloofness be reason to downplay spitting in my face. Question me in private if you don't like the group's path. Not in the middle of a public meeting. I don't let that fly.

You mean to tell me that asking asinine and disrespectful questions at cartoonishly inappropriate times in a way that undermines authority in a military dictatorship that you voluntarily signed up to participate in might have negative repercussions?  Madness. :lost:

Not to be in defense of Ratchet, but I wanted to mention that I did feel that the haste of the expulsion was a bit too swift.

People who don't know the history were probably thinking the same thing. "I got involved in this group, and it just seems way too serious. This is a gaming community..." Granted, there are people out there that shouldn't be involved in OI. People exactly like Ratchet, who probably wouldn't take a word of the entire meeting seriously.

The reason I am speaking out about this is that, this is exactly the kind of behavior that bred this deep introversion that I've suffered from in the past when I was new to these groups. The thought that echoed through my mind day after day: "What if I say something that I'll regret? What if I screw up? I'd better stay silent. Not express my opinions..." Even now I'm shy about pushing the fact that I've recruited someone I talk to everyday. Ah well.

All I'm trying to say is that we as a group should be careful not to create the kind of hostile atmosphere where people can't voice their concerns or opinions. Just because Ratchet behaved inappropriately expressing his opinion doesn't mean that other people who are new to the group shouldn't inquire a little more about why the group structure is so important.

That's a justifiable fear Recalibar:    The short answer is: "This wasn't Ratchet's first offence at being offensive."

The longer answer is: "Know that your voice, and the voice of every single Ordo member is equally valid regardless of rank."    

There is however a time and a place to voice your issues.  During a very elaborate meeting in front of many new troopies publicly is not one of them.  

However: One of the most critical tasks that falls upon us Guardsmen, is to a conduit for Aryte.   Not only do we preach his words, but also preach yours to him.   If you or anyone is having an issue that you want to talk about, by all means IM any of us in SL or in here in PM.    I myself check my email always at work, and can almost instantly reply to any offline issues due to SL's offline IM email system as if I was logged in.   

not to be rude but how is this important

I hate you.

All I'm trying to say is that we as a group should be careful not to create the kind of hostile atmosphere where people can't voice their concerns or opinions. Just because Ratchet behaved inappropriately expressing his opinion doesn't mean that other people who are new to the group shouldn't inquire a little more about why the group structure is so important.

You (and anyone else) is always more than welcome to object to anything I do or say. The only time I'll find fault is when it's done publicly during a formal atmosphere. I have an open door.

That's a justifiable fear Recalibar:    The short answer is: "This wasn't Ratchet's first offence at being offensive."

The longer answer is: "Know that your voice, and the voice of every single Ordo member is equally valid regardless of rank."   

^

We've all been working very hard to create something that we can all fit into and enjoy together. Though we could have just implemented it and said this is how it's going to be, we instead wanted to as much and as often as possible involve everyone.

Like every community, not everyone will be happy with any change, we must accept and tolerate these things. We've all been effected.  I've made quite a few suggestions myself to help put some of this in order and they weren't quite accepted, but I understand that my way may not be the best way or idea, so it's more to get a ball rolling. It's not about me, and what I want, so we bring it to others, get their opinion.

Everything we talk about, pertains to someone, or everyone and if you really want to get involved, it's something you should know, not only for yourself, but for anyone else who asks.

Just a general reminder: Right now, we need people to ask themselves "What can I do to make this work?" and "How can I help this function?". The changes are coming, but only if we all keep focused on the goal of a meaningful and full transition, which requires the efforts of everyone from top to bottom. It's not the dissent or an opinion is not welcome, but there's an appropriate way to approach the issue. One that doesn't get you thrown down a flight of stairs and capped in the head for treason. At least, that's what I'd do if I was allowed to...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Use.