Clicky

Tsume Xiao

"New" Laptop - Program Suggestions Wanted (Updated)

Well a large part of that space is probably taken up by the image of the operating system drive itself(At least it should have it there, if not you should be able to create it in the tool), the rest of the space is used by smaller tools and some of the space is definitely kept open for additional backups that the user would do for various files that are selected.

But in general speaking, no recovery tool is 100% proof. What I do is divide the HDD into two partitions. One for the system files plus area for them to expand and the other for personal files so if something breaks, I can just format my OS partition, reinstall the windows with ease and leave my personal files on the other partition untouched.

But otherwise, the tools themselves should be the same as on the recovery disk. The only difference would be the OS image and HP's own data storage/backup exchanged for your own, since if the HDD fails completely, I have my doubts the HP tools could get it back be it a disk or large chunk of your hard drive. But of course this is my opinion and general process.

Also, if I can just make discs, does that mean I don't need the partition? That block from HP's site helps answer why it is there, but not why it is about 1/4 of my HDD space.

You don't need the partition if you have alternate restoration media. You can either burn the HP provided media, download MS-official install ISOs from DigitalRiver (MS's online distribution partner, links here: http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-digital-river/ ), or both. Personally, I have no use for OEM supplied installs, as I like creating everything from scratch.

What you could do, however, is get your system created to a state where you are happy, create a system image (read: a snapshot saved to external media such as a large USB pendrive, or external HDD), and then use that for future restorations if you wanted to prevent from having to reconfigure from scratch. The benefit here is you can both eliminate the 53 GiB partition, have the OS-reinstall disc, and have OEM reinstall media, if you'd like.

To answer your question directly: No, if you have the OEM reinstall discs you create, or Windows reinstall media for your license type, you do not need the partition. I'd actually recommend making the discs, or downloading the official Win7Pro ISO now, as in the not-entirely-unlikely event your HDD decides to begin clicking, then commit seppuku, your 53 GiB recovery partition would not help you in that case (since the recovery media is on the HDD itself).

As an aside, I really am wondering why on earth they are taking up 53 GiB... that image you linked does not seem to explain why it is needed... Windows seems to be able to do all of those features on its own (Shadow copies, Startup repair, etc.)--save the recovery disc creation.