Clicky

Shizzerk

Airsoft

Aside from actual firearms I play around with fake ones too! In all seriousness I enjoy playing Airsoft, for those who don't know what it is, think of paint ball but with guns that are 1 to 1 replicas of the real thing (not referring to the cheap garbage ones). Unlike paintball guns most Airsoft guns run off a battery, a gearbox and use plastic BBs instead of paint balls. Some run off gas, but those tend to be expensive and more for individuals who want a more realistic experience since they have some kick (not as much as the real thing obviously) and the magazine size tends to be realistic to the real gun. The 'hopper' is essentially the magazine, out of ammo, change mags, like the real thing. Airsoft is more military simulation than what you'd see in paint ball, you'll see people run in squads and use real tactical maneuvers to clear buildings, towns and even take out hostile armor. Some of the things are quite impressive, the community in NC would actually hire a Special Forces trainer to teach people tactical maneuvers and things like that. In fact a lot of guys who play are current military or Vets

ANYWAYS, I used to do this regularly, I was a squad leader on one of the largest teams on the east coast, Task Force 16, before I had to stop playing due to work :( It wasn't the most super tactical team, but they got stuff done and had fun while doing it. Its where I learned a lot of leadership skills and how to maneuver troops in combat. It was quite fun. I loved doing ambushes and room clearing really would get your heart pumping because it was intense. I'm actually planning to go to a pretty big game in NC later this year.

P2110098.jpg

P8230030.jpg

Heres a few pics of my two main guns that I use. Thats an old picture of my M4, in this pic the battery is wired and in the PEQ box. When I had it like that it was very front heavy with the metal rails and barrel. It wasn't very well balanced at all. Currently I rewired it to have a LiPo battery in the buffer tube. This not only took the weight off the front, but it also made it significantly lighter and easier to maneuver with. It makes the gun look much more realistic. It has a replica piston operated system, and that's a Noveske replica flash hider too (which actually has purpose on this gun than looking snazzy). This flash hider can make my gun sound louder which, surprisingly enough, is a good thing. It's intimidating, creates a distraction and catches people off guard. When I don't want to be loud I can turn it off. It actually has a blow back system as well, doesn't give recoil, it just looks cool and makes people go oooooh. I put a lot of work into this gun, I actually bought it to pimp it out as much as I could.

The UMP is my baby. possibly the easiest Airsoft gun I've used, it's light and you can do everything with it. I have a whole list of guns though, I have an M16 DMR, M14, AK-74, Gas Scar-L, Glock and a "grenade launcher" pistol (its more of a big ass intimidating shotgun pistol). I can post pictures of others if anyone is actually interested.

Before I actually committed to joining the National Guard, I looked at playing Airsoft, but I could never really get a grasp of it (young, dumb and in school). I did obtain a Classic Army M4A1 and M203. It just sits around as a manual of arms tool and has a similar battery setup. If I ever had the free time and the money to get some gear (I would want to kit out with something realistic) then I would consider it.

It's actually a Classic Army. I'm not much of a fan of TMs, nice guns but fragile imo. Plastic bodies and from what I hear some of the internals are plastic too. Only TM I own is my Glock and I got that on clearance due to the lawsuit from Glock about trade marks. I mostly use G&Gs.

A few of the high end companies are making 'low end' guns. G&G has their combat machine line and its pretty much an injection mold plastic body with their high end internals. They are actually really nice and the plastic is strong, will probably not break as easily as most other guns. They are pretty inexpensive too, about the same price as Echo1

Edited by Shizzerk

I run a G&G SOC16, which is visually the Springfield Armory Socom 16.  Everything about it is beautiful and it outshoots people whith "custom" guns in both speed and accuracy. It is also an amazingly quiet gearbox. The biggest downside to it is that is uses proprietary magazines unlike the TM and all of its clones.

My secondary AEG is the Ares TAR-21. THe TAR-21 came out after the CTAR and they fixed the issues. Compared to my M14 it is slower firing, louder, and less accurate. However it is ages easier to use in close quarters and more comfortable to hold over time. It is also easier to use in limited capacity games, as I have a full set of mid-caps for it and can get more for $8 bucks a pop. My M14 only has 4 mags: two 440 round Hi-Caps and two 120 Round mid-caps. At $32 a mag, the all metal magazines aren't cheap.

My only pistol is a KJW Mk.1, which is a bull barrel Ruger Mk.II. It is very accurate and hits like a truck, but I have never been able to use it in a game. Finding a holster for it is near impossible, magazines are expensive, the mag release is on the heel, and most importantly... It shoots at about 430 FPS. Sadly the trigger pull is monsterous, which would make it hard to use accurately in a scenario anyways. Great for target practice, amusing Zrazor and Rygads as it can shoot fireballs, AND FOR TEACHING ZRAZOR HOW TO DISASSEMBLE HIS DAD'S REAL RUGER STANDARD. Otherwise I am looking to sell it and get something more practical for a sidearm, even though I'd probably never use one.

THe past operation I did was Codename: Thunder. It was my second time doing it, the first being two years prior. I skipped the middle year as it was at a different venue I didn't like.

When not running with the squad I joined, which was lead by this great older guy (at least mid 60's) who trades gear with his buddy in the UK and was outfitted with full DPM, surplus radio, and an L85A2, I joint the APC driver "Borris", who I had a history with from my first Thunder.

Two years back, Borris and "Natasha", his APC, had a top gunner (Borris's son) and I took a position gunning out the back door which scared the shit out of people who thought they had gotten away from the slow turning gun.

This year though, Borris' son didn't make it, so I took position as his top gun. I tried to borrow a proper support weapon for the task, but ended up using my M14 with the hi-caps. Compared to using the giant, auto-feeding 5000 boxes that belt-fed models use it was a chore, but at one point we had a 3rd who would refil and wind my mags for me.

The accuracy of my M14 was amazing and we shredded enemies in a display of proper commander-driver-gunner communications. THe smaller size of my rifle made it work in the turret's shielding and the narrow front allowed me to poke it out of the barrel slit. The best part is when we were flanking an enemy assault on a stronghold and Borris shouted "ENEMY" when I asked where, he shouted back "EVERYWHERE". I looked down and saw about 14+ guys crouching behind a fallen tree under the cover of a distant smoke grenade, trying to hid from the APC. I manage to swing my rifle down and pour fire on them, swiveling the turret as we drove by. The two stragglers I didn't wipe out were taken care of by my loader, who poked out the back door with his AK.

Two years prior, my M14 also took out the enemy who brought the Minigun. I sniped him through a window of a small shack as he was arming up. THere was a set of pings as I hit his air tank followed by a loud. "MOTHER FfffER... Hit!". It made me giggle. :v

This year Codename Thunder is in a new location that I have never played and is set for August 10-11. As I do not know my job status I won't be signing up for a bit.

Lastly, for those curious, Natasha is a scratch built BA-64 Replica. She was built on an old Willy's chassis and is trailered to the event, but is fully operational.

l.jpg

BorisRoadweb.jpg

Also, Zrazor, G&G also makes their "Plastic" series. It is a step up from their Combat Machine line and you can get an M4 looking thing for $140. No excuse for crappy CYMA.