Clicky

Desereck Creeggan

Troubleshooting

So my computer took a shitter approximately November 2011. Since then I haven't really figured out how to fix it. My Ethernet driver shows a Code 10 or Device Cannot Start error essentially meaning it shorted and is D.E.A.D. Can't remove the port since it's connected directly to the motherboard.

I stumbled across a network card by chance and tried to plug it in, it's a Cogent EM110 TX PCI fast Ethernet card. Only issue is that it seems to be several... decades out of date, with Cogent being absorbed into Adaptec. I tried installing an Adaptec universal driver software onto a USB then transferring it, but got presented with an Win 7 incompatibility issue. Tried running in compatibility mode to no avail.

Any suggestions? Should I just trash my Mobo or attempt to try another network card?

Boot from a linux live cd, if it works in there its windows, if it doesn't work in there its hardware >.>

That way you can test 'will formatting help' without actually formatting. Just don't install the live linux to HD :P

Also those things have an off button in the bios, occasionally windows will still see it but then it wont worky.