Clicky

Desereck Creeggan

Strategy/Survival Games

Game Selection  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Which game would you be interested in playing?

• Game #1 [ Wurm Online ]
    • Game #2 [ Haven&Hearth ]
    • Game #3 [ Entropia Universe ]
    • Game #4 [ Please Specify ]

So if there's one thing Ordo can do and do well is once we get motivated to achieve something, there's no stopping us. Several years ago, Ordo unofficially branched off into a game known as Wurm Online. At one point approximately 10 members played quite consistently for a couple of weeks and we actually made quite a large impression on the areas we touched.

There's been a couple of attempts a decent time ago to start something here. Without 90% of the responsibilities that burdened many, perhaps a game like this is feasible for an Ordo chapter.

SURVIVAL GAME #1 - [WURM ONLINE]

The original topic is here: http://forums.ordoimperialis.com/index.php/topic/15433-wurm-online/

Created by Rolf Jansson and Markus Persson (The creator of Minecraft)

OperationDirt1.jpg

This was the fate met by one of our neighbors who stole from us. His property used to be on flat land.

We were met with just a couple of issues being:

1. Titan was understaffed
  2. The majority of the game is unlocked by subscription
  3. The game is tedious/super realistic

This is what I mean by tedious:

Want to build a FENCE?

Dig a hole until you get to rock. Mine the rock until you create a cave. Continue to mine until you find an Iron Ore deposit. Find a clay patch, create some bricks (High% Fail Rate), create a forge. Place iron ore in forge, wait for it to melt. Create an anvil, create a hammer, craft nails (High% Fail Rate). Find a tree, cut the tree down. Saw the tree into logs, saw the logs into planks (High% Fail Rate). Combine planks and nails until fence is complete (Super High% Rate).

How long your fence stands without needing repairs/attention depends on the quality level ALL of your materials are collectively. Higher quality tools produces higher quality items which when assembled produce high quality results. Factor that by your current skill levels in carpentry and smithing and you have a fence that will stand for maybe 5 days without falling down.

OR you can steal all the materials and just skip to the building!

Essentially take Minecraft and make it realistic.

Unlocked features include: All skills can get past level 20, PVP, gods, huge ships, more servers, everything else you can possibly imagine. The free version is nothing compared to the perks gained by paying, but it's a time-burner nonetheless.

Since we last played this game, there has been one significant update which was just recently:

Summer Release 1.1 now live!

• Some users are experiencing client crashes or graphical issues. We are working hard to fix them, and would appreciate as many bug reports as possible.
  • All worn gear has been removed and you will have to re-equip it from your inventory
  • You open the paper doll by double-clicking the health bar. New players have a keybind on c. Old players can create a keybind in the console (F1) and type bind c TOGGLE_CHARACTER
  • To find the Quick bar or Skill Tracker, open the Main Menu and click the appropriate button.
  • There are options in the game settings if you want the old body inventory items and the old style quickbar.
  • In order to enable graphics card performance boost, you need to enable VBO Core and GLSL Core in the client settings Compatibility tab.
  • Horse equipment will be in their unaccessible inventory. We are working on a solution to retrieve it.
  • The feature list:
  • Client Performance Upgrades
  • An All-New Mystic Powers and Karma System
  • More New Creature Models
  • Re-Work of the Epic Endgames
  • Kingdom Tabards (worn on the body)
  • Cross-Server Chat
  • New Fence Types
  • Flower Beds and Flower Pots
  • Gravestones
  • New “Analyse” on Rock Ores
  • Foraging and Botanizing Overhaul
  • Modify Existing Structures
  • New In-Game Music
  • GUI: Addition of a Drag and Drop Paperdoll
  • GUI: New icons for climbing, faithful etc
  • Inventory Grouping
  • In-game Skill Tracker
  • Diagonal Roads
  • Falling Tree Animations
  • Support for new Trees and Bushes
  • Personal Goals
  • Horse Bardings

When there's a fair amount of people all working together, something that is extremely boring as a personal venture becomes enjoyable and tasks are accomplished much quicker.

SURVIVAL GAME #2 - [HAVEN & HEARTH]

Haven & Hearth is the middle-ground between Minecraft and Wurm Online. When I showed it to a friend his first reaction was: It looks like Ultima Online.

Look at that pile of bones!

post-163-0-66878300-1372111859_thumb.png

A typical screen capture of a player-built village.

While I admit I've never played Ultima, just a quick google search shows that they do indeed look familiar. A brief synopsis would be to take Wurm Online, dumb it down just a bit in both complexity and seriousness, add in permadeath and make it entirely FREE. Just like Wurm, there's a quality rating system so with everyone playing on one server competition for the best resources is quite brutal.

However, there's some unique aspects to this game, one being if another person trespasses on your property/vandalizes they leave a scent. Characters with a high enough tracking ability can trace them to their hearthfire (the green glowing campfires which show if the character is online or not). Depending on the severity of the crime (murders can be tracked!), if the hearthfire is in the open their player can be summoned and killed whether there's someone playing or not.

These aspects provide a less jack-of-all-trades outlook and more of a specialization system. Certain people will train to be miners, others will train to be hunters, and warriors are a breed all of their own.

pioneer12.jpg

Tip of advice. DO. NOT. ATTACK. ANYTHING until you have learned how the combat system works.

Taken at the time of this writing:

The server is up

There are 966 hearthlings playing.

Among these, there are 292 from United States, 142 from Russian Federation, 105 from Poland, 45 from Canada, and 34 from United Kingdom.

I'm looking for people interested in playing one or both of these games. If you have your own to submit then by all means! If we can get a healthy base started with Ordo members then we can open our doors to others. There are always new people looking to find a village to settle in! The only setback to this game is the perma-death. Two years ago when I played there were groups of elite that ran around and did nothing but KILL because their hearthfires were impossible to get to. If one of these groups so happens to stumble upon our village, we are all dead.

SURVIVAL GAME #3 - [ENTROPIA UNIVERSE]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entropia_Universe

From initial looks it seems like Entropia is about to or just released a big content update as well. If someone has more experience with this game, please feel free to fill in!

I look forward to seeing the responses!

Edited by Desereck Creeggan

Didn't we have some members that played Wurm? then eventually owned it.. before the restart? Also, Entropia could be added to this list, it's long, tedious and all that.

Edited by Xoza

I did play both those games a bit. Wurm is a big big big big time sink, and without getting the stuff from the subscription is it even bigger.

Haven & Hearth is interesting, but the early game is VERY hard, at least for me. Finding food is hard and dangerous enough, and you still have to run away from stuff that wants to kill you... I also suffered with a bit of lag on both of those, but that's probably my fault and not the servers.

Never looked at Ultima nor Entropia, might look at them a bit.

Entropia looks extremely interesting. I'm going to have to download it and check it out! I've been trying to sample both games to get the feel of them. With the new update in Wurm, I'm not sure how they may have changed things and if I recall correctly getting a subscription isn't too expensive.

I have rusty experience in Haven & Hearth that I'm brushing up on. It's got a secondary client which allows for quick wiki browsing of stats. From what I gathered in game the server is on World 6 which started only a couple of weeks ago. Today they also found out that the world had been expanded, meaning all current establishments are now clustered in one specific region. New high quality nodes can be found to create the best items.

I can train in almost everything to killing a bear (which a fox will kill you if you don't know how the combat system works). When it comes to PvP I had only experienced sparring, so learning PvP will be a fun... and most likely costly for a while... experience.

Haven you can kill people and steal all stuff and break into their cities using battering rams to Ffff shit up. :D

But if you don't have a high enough sneak skill even the lowest level trackers can find where you live and take revenge.

HnH is going to be the easiest and quickest setup. An entire town can be created in a matter of hours depending on how many people are working on it. Brick walls (Which are the strongest) will take a good amount of time to build, but several wooden palisades do the job just fine and only take several hours.

I am in the process of finding a suitable landing spot to build ground zero. Once I have it set up I will be able to share my hearthsecret (which you use at the trapdoor in the beginning of the game) so that you can spawn near me and I can begin training :)

I have spent most of the day exploring the Havenverse for a suitable landing spot. I found a settling spot that I believe will be very nourishing to a young village.  Every different type of "biome" you would call it is just a short distance away (I have spent a long time trying to find a spot like this previously, we got lucky!).

I also made a 15 minute basic intro to the game. For some reason the audio recorder didn't grab anything, so I threw in some Ace Combat for good measure. If the game doesn't keep you entertained the music will. Mind, you need to set the quality to 480p at least to be able to read what I am typing.

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok0hJKT1wxw

This is the founding spot I have selected:

0e7e.png

kgqg.png

I spent a majority of the day looking for it and then scouting around to make sure no large villages are nearby. It has a majority of the resources we need, including the transition from woodland to alpine forest so an extreme variety of resources are available.

If anyone wants to join me I can walk you through the installation of Ender's client and how to spawn on me. Using the main client is suicide because you can't turn off the trees/night/show hostile animal highlights.

Minor Update!

Let me just fill you in on a little secret... if you get lucky the first time, most likely you won't the second! My character had a ... well ... interesting experience trying to pluck hairs from wild cow asses. I got the first handful no problem, but the second apparently pissed off the entire herd.. so Desereck II is heading up the village efforts in the shadow of his late father.

wlu.png

While exploring the little unexplored box, I came across yet another landmark feature which only aids our village! We can get ore without worrying about digging a mine and letting people have an underground access to our village!

l0d6.png

Here's the most recent screencap so far. The round tubs are creating some leather for us so that I can make armor for those of you that don't have any. I'm going to be taking the first few pieces to make a sling so that I can start hunting and bringing a variety of food (Not just rabbit, blueberries, and chicken!).

Still looking for people willing to help in this venture. I can pretty much create the entire village, but it's going to take me twice as long without help to gather resources. I'll hook major contributors up with quality items once we get to that point.