Clicky

Deadmon

Eyeball health

Im about to order some PC glasses because i spend so much time infront of them and my optometrist suggested it. Does anyone use them? Any suggestions?

http://www.gunnars.com/ is what I am finding the most common, and is a brand a lot of gamers use, but Im trying to see if its my best option. I originally had thought it was a gimmick until my optometrist showed me some info stating otherwise. Their (gunnars) wording is a bit sci-fi over the top but what they claim is true, just wrapped up in fancy marketing lingo. 

I have heard some people say that those glasses simply have a 0.2 positive degree, which will make everything a bit bigger, and the colors they have, like blue and yellow, will just make things less... white and so shinny. Yeah, you might want to do some research before buying one of those.

Optometrists did the research for me like I said. For others benefit: 

The basic concepts:

• Wearing -any- glasses will allow more moisture on your eyes (which is good) because of the air flow (or lack there-of? I forget which. Point is your eyeballs are wet :P)
  • the color tint is chosen specifically to reduce gamma / flares on your eyes (like you said. And similar tones are visible on many shooting/other glasses)
  • the polarization is to prevent UV damage (something that is on any high-dollar sunglasses. Cheap sunglasses use a film/glue tint similar to car windows)
  • Other treatment of the lense prevent HEV light (High energy visible light or something like that) from damaging your eyes. HEVs have been proven to be a cause of muscle breakdown over time because of strain. (Again, most expensive sunglasses -also- have this)
  • Extremely minor magnification allows your eyes to relax at a natural distance without having to squint or scoot closer and intensify light coming into your eyes

Thats probably why Aryte's doctor gave him a small perscritption, to magnify and reduce strain. (considering he got terminator eyeball laser surgery and is 20/20)

So why am I going with Gunnar? Its a reliable name ive found while searching, it has all the stuff I am looking for, it is comperable in price to other high-dollar sunglasses. Ooakley comparable glasses are well over 100 for example. Im still searching for other similar products of good quality before I buy, hence why I asked if anyone here had some, but so far it looks like Gunnar provide a good standard. *shrugs*

Edited by Deadmon

The Problem:

You spend most of your waking hours glued to your computer screen, smart phone, tablet or TV monitor. As the hours go by, you subject your eyes to harsh, high intensity blue light and glare from your screen. Constant viewing of digital screens can create visual stress, eye fatigue, dry eyes, irritation, and even headaches, leading to an obvious conclusion – staring at a computer for long hours can take a toll on your eyes.

I was thinking it'd be something a bit more detrimental to your eye health, like myopia/hyperopia, astigmatism, or glaucoma. I'd suggest seeing if you can find a pair to tryout in some way before buying (to be absolutely sure it'll help you).

Long term damages werent listed. Strain from constantly working on PCs (via gamma brightness, straining to read text or see details ect) can worsen your vision, HEV's contribute to muscle degenration as well as UVs. Both having their own attributed effects. And yeah, part of that websites appeal is the 30 day trial period. 

Though really, if it prevented my eyes from getting dry or giving me headaches from strain I consider it a win. *shrugs* Ill probably order some soon and report back if they benefit me. 

Edited by Deadmon

Well, if you struggle to read stuff, you can always enlarger the font, that's pretty easy to do. If brightness is problem, you can also lower it. Of course, there are a ton of other problems and I don't know pretty a lot about those glasses, except what I have heard around. I'm going to wait for your test. Hopefully they do work and the yellow or blue (or some other random color they put on it) does not bother too much.

Edited by Angelin01

I picked up Gunnars not long ago myself. When I moved into a new job, I suddenly went to being in front of a computer under fluorescent lights for 10 hours a day, causing considerable eyestrain after work at my computer. They noticeably helped in preventing the usual headaches. Only downside I noticed was my eyes getting dry after a while, but that probably would've happened anyway.

Just make sure to search around and don't pay retail. I got them off ebay for like $50 when the stores were selling for $100. It's about the same price difference as buying Oakleys or other name brands from a store that sells sunglasses versus buying online.

Ordered me some crystalline gunnars (the clear ones designed for artists who work with true colors, and I already have enough trouble with colors being colorblind I dont need a tint to make it worse). They still have the same coatings for contrast and minor magnification to ease eye strain and the only difference is the hue which most of their glasses have to prevent harsh blue lights / HEVs but supposedly the crystalline still have somewhat of a pearlish tint that still benefits eyes.

I was originally skeptical till I met a friend recently who uses the Crystalline ones while he works and swears by them. So I decided to ask for them for our anniversary and will be getting them hopefully monday. Ill report back when I have actually gotten to wear em for a lengthy work and/or gaming session.

Ordered me some crystalline gunnars (the clear ones designed for artists who work with true colors, and I already have enough trouble with colors being colorblind I dont need a tint to make it worse). They still have the same coatings for contrast and minor magnification to ease eye strain and the only difference is the hue which most of their glasses have to prevent harsh blue lights / HEVs but supposedly the crystalline still have somewhat of a pearlish tint that still benefits eyes.

I was originally skeptical till I met a friend recently who uses the Crystalline ones while he works and swears by them. So I decided to ask for them for our anniversary and will be getting them hopefully monday. Ill report back when I have actually gotten to wear em for a lengthy work and/or gaming session.

huehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehueh

TL;DR almost 2 weeks of heavy use is "They work."

My particular frames are a tad heavy, but they are one one of the bigger frame sets. Luckily I wear a headset and it counters a good bit of the weight. Other than a minor issue with my particular frames, the lenses work as advertised. Im sure there is a cheaper alternative somewhere but at least the claims they make are legit.

I know that I'm fairly new, but if anyone has any questions at all about different glasses or contacts I work at an optometrist's office and assist with a lot of things. I am by no means a doctor, but I may very well have answers for general questions about lenses, procedures, contact lens care and the like. Let me know if anyone needs any help with anything!