Clicky

Larry Furlough

Help me find a new Hard Drive :o

6 members have voted

1. 1. What type?

• Hard Disk
    • Solid State
    • Hybrid

I have this trend of shattering my hard disks by either dropping my laptop or dropping something on it at least... once a year, and it's that time of year again. The laptop itself runs great, but with a shattered drive in it, the disk can't really be read that fast, which slows down everything I do.

So, I'm planning on replacing it and wanted your guys's opinion as to what kind of drive I should get; Solid State, Hard Disk, or Hybrid. If you have a specific make and model you'd like to suggest, too, that'd be appreciated. :D

Also, price is of no concern. 

Thanks guys. :D

Do you use a lot of space or game?

Do you have/use an external HD? If you do, go with the SSD and cram the bigger stuff on the external, if not, something to think about.

I hear games torture SSDs, makes sense but I don't own one so I don't have experience with the thought. If I had one though I wouldn't us it for games, probably use the external idea. I don't game on my laptop, so I've never tried playing the current larger games on an external. If you do, make sure it's plugged into your fastest port.

I would suggest an SSD and then have an extra external drive for your random data.

For instance: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167140

Generally more drop proof than general HDDs. And changing to hybrid will not change anything since it still has moving parts which will be damaged just like that. As for gaming, well I have Corsair Force 3 as the OS drive and a separate one where I install most of my stuff. But of course if 200GBs is enough then you will not need an external one. Or look towards one of Samsung's latest releases of SSDs that go up to a TB.

by the way, anyone ever noticed how unnecessarily overpriced Best Buy is?

Yes, but there are a few things they have a good/fair deal on, usually stuff they don't seem to have much leeway in pricing. I got my G430 from them, $10 less than online and logitech's price.