Clicky

IronThunder77

Could use some financial/feasibility help w/ battlestation.

Hey all, I'm a bit new here and decided that asking/helping out here would help get to know some of you. So, here goes.

My current setup is on the 2nd floor of my home. I love it very much, however it is inadequate for guests/entertaining. I have a television in the basement which is currently being used for a home theater. I figure I hook up a new rig to the television, and allow myself to play games on it. I currently cannot run video/usb to the tv due to usb's poor performance when converted to cat6, or as a long wire. 

This seems simple enough, I just build a computer and hook it up. My questions are as follows:

• What parts should I be aiming for? I am familiar with hardware, but could use advise.
  • How can I remote take over with my rig upstairs to do drivers/software? I would find this easier than running up and downstairs to do quick updates.
  • How could I get my games to the new pc? I don't mind downloading again, but it's a pain at times.

Here is the proposed part list. 

CPU:  AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor  ($119.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard:  Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($58.98 @ Newegg) 
Video Card:  MSI Radeon R9 270X 2GB Video Card  ($204.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply:  EVGA 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply  ($29.99 @ Microcenter) 
Operating System:  Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($95.99 @ Adorama) 
Total: $605.91
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-22 20:10 EDT-0400)

I own a case and optical drive.
Edited by IronThunder77

I'm actually curious if that works with 3d programs .. you'd need something along the lines of NVidia shield ? (I've never tried with 3d, only 2d)

Cause computer renders, rendering renders to pic, pic gets sent over lan to other computer, pic gets displayed .. and that 60 times per second.

If you *just* want the desktop or other stuff, you can also turn on remote desktop and 'mstsc /admin /v:computerupstairs'

mstsc = MicrosoftTerminalServicesClient and actually works quite well, /admin takes over the main desktop instead of launching a second background session

I see what you mean. No, I don't plan on using this feature to stream games, but will for windows updates and driver updates where downloads/installs take a while. I want the pc to remain up to date, so a convenient way to do this is using teamviewer or mstsc /admin /v:computerupstairs. Thanks for the info!

I've decided building a second computer would not be ideal. I attempted running ~150ft of cat6 into the basement, hoping I could use hdmi-cat6 adapters, but there was no possible cable route that wouldn't require a lot of work.

This leaves me with the ps4 vs buying a new case for my pc that allows me to move it without worry. I currently use the silverstone FT02 which I am deathly afraid of dropping. I will update with my decision.