Clicky

CaptainSharkFin

The one where Kurama is an idiot

I love that the Ordo is a community about being able to swap between games to play with everyone else (or as many people as you can) so I don't think anyone minds when someone gives up on one game to play another.

But I really just sat down and thought to myself: Shit, I really need to stop promising that I'll do things for these chapters.

What I mean by this is that I have a brief, but easily exploitable, history (a bad one, at that) of getting things rolling in terms of the Ordo roleplaying on one game, only to then quit that game entirely. Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn and Star Wars: The Old Republic are both victims of this, and quite honestly I'm worried that Elder Scrolls Online is going to be added to that list. I don't want it to, but I'm finding it increasingly difficult to put forth the effort when, despite trying my best to generate some interest in it, I almost never get the amount of support and assistance I try to accumulate -- after updating the original post, frequently advertising in-game, even posting off-site to try and get some recruitment going.

This actually goes beyond just the vocal support of the command group of a chapter, though. This extends to the rest of a game's chapter. From experience, ideas can only go so far if nobody else contributes to their creation and application.

My goal in the Ordo has been, since before we left Second Life as a platform, to create and develop a universal roleplaying segment of the community. I've passed off ideas, some of which I'd put into motion (Hell, when we were still a military community on Second Life, my OCA -- Officer's Candidacy Application -- was essentially one big document detailing an idea for a roleplaying division of the Ordo...which never came to pass, because we left Second Life). The command element of the TOR chapter can probably vouch for the effort I can put into forming an idea behind the group's roleplaying capabilities -- admittedly, the problem with that game was just simply that I was so burnt out that I didn't even want it occupying space on my hard-drive, anymore. Playing it straight for about three to four months can cause that, for me.

So I'm trying to do the same for Elder Scrolls Online -- getting it started, developing it. Actively pursuing it -- and then WildStar comes out on June 1st.

Hnngh.

It might not be as good a game, but it definitely offers more opportunity for me to be able to actually get a roleplaying group set up and active on it. It already has a few advantages over Elder Scrolls Online -- servers, housing, warplots; I think chat bubbles? Seemingly better social features, all around (I'll have to play the open beta this weekend to get a good idea on that). Things that I wish were in ESO from the beginning.

So I'm at an impasse. I want to keep playing Elder Scrolls Online, but I'm genuinely excited for WildStar. I'm anticipating a wealth of opportunities to take advantage of in that game, and because of it I might actually want to consider ending my subscription to ESO -- so that'll basically end my involvement and attempts at trying to get roleplaying kicked off on ESO (which, I'm sure, will disappoint quite a few people).

To be quite honest I know that you had brought people into the TOR element for the RP purpose of things and some of them are still with us today as we dive into that portion of our own chapter and get the ball on the track that it needs to be. I believe that WildStar will be on a PvP/PvE server 9 Not sure which one at the moment ) however if it is to have a roleplay element I was already thinking of taking that on. So if you really want to continue to develop a storyline that is fine and you are welcome to work with me on it IF it is approved by the CO of the chapter. Otherwise that choice is up to you as to what you will do.

Not having played Wildstar but having RP'd with Kavia and having read Kurama's RP drafts, Kavia would be a better choice to write any lore behind a Wildstar guild as she is a much more experienced writer

Edited by Faardor

I think with ESO what you are running into, is that people want to focus on leveling right now. Once people are mainly in the vet ranks and looking for  "More" to do, they will probably be open for RP as another route of entertainment.  Having mainly played on RP servers and such through most of my gaming past, trying to organize big RP at the launch of a game, or when an expansion comes out will result in low interest as people will be working through content.

I think you are going to likely run into that with the launch of Wildstar as well.  

^ until people are done with their character development, very few people want to RP while they level. In terms of environment, ESO has -much- more of an accommodating player base for RP purposes in my mind than wildstar. Elder Scrolls has a rich and long standing lore, with many people who play it more interested in that aspect than the mechanics of an MMO. On the flipside, most of the interest in wildstar is solely based on the mechanics and fun experiences the game itself provides. Yes, there is also a very interesting lore in wildstar, but I think the overall % of population looking for RP will be lower than ESO.

^ Hence why I said IF command wants it. Also again I agree with FeatherHorse. It is way too early to be doing that with ESO or WildStar. If I were to do it I would work on the background sure but I wouldn't start getting into it or even trying to get people into it until 50% of the guild or more were at end game level. That is also just talking Guild wise. I mean you are going to have people that go through content faster than most but having something down in your mind and on your HD that is planned with command is not something that can't be thought out or worked on.