Clicky

CaptainSharkFin

PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS

PUBGLogoHeader.jpg

WHAT IS IT?

Playerunknown's Battlegrounds might make some of you skeptical but I wouldn't be posting a topic if I wasn't enjoying the game. It's a battle royale-style shooter in the same vein as H1Z1 King of the Hill where the goal is to be the last person standing against up to 99 other players, 49 other duo teams, or 24 other squad teams. You air-drop onto an island that's 8x8km large and, when you land, you scramble to pick up whatever weapons and equipment you're able to come across. You not only have to contend against other players, but you also have to outrun a blue circle, represented by an electric field that gradually closes in to a specific, randomized position on the map, as well as completely random "red zones" that are completely carpet bombed.

The game itself costs US$29.99 or your regional equivalent. It has matchmaking set up for two variations of each of the three modes - Solo, which is you up against 99 other players; Duo, which is yourself and a buddy against 49 other duo teams; and Squad, which is you and three other team-mates against 24 other teams. The variations are the First Person Perspective modes which are currently going through beta but are currently active for each of the three game types. The game also features Custom servers, too.

There's some character customization, which is where some controversy needs to be addressed - the game does have microtransactions in the form of loot crates that you have to buy keys for (a la Counterstrike: Global Offensive), plus you can buy random crates and clothing items on the Steam Marketplace. It affects appearance, and then it further affects your visibility in-game.

I've been playing this game off-and-on for the past few months and recently started playing it a bit more, considering I have more free time while I'm in between jobs. While the game's intensely fun alone, I would like to see about getting a squad (4 people) together that would either like to try the game out, or play it steadily with me. I'm playing this game with the intention to stream each session.