Clicky

Aryte

Think before you build!

Most of you who're building know the expectation of "it may not be used." The Ordo appreciates you for trying, but there's no guarantee! We have very specific standards.

The biggest problem: people building stuff that has no place. It's simple, but it's important to think "how will this benefit, what could the group use?"

When you design something, and I look at it, I will ask you probably 3-5 questions.

These are questions anyone who is part of the Munitorum COuncil (the oversight group who looks over Munitorum projects) are likely going to ask you. SO bear in mind this, when you present a weapon.

1. What do you expect it to do (How does it work, in your mind)

2. How can we (if at all) reduce prims on this?

3. Who will be using it?

4. What ROLE in combat will it fulfill?

5. What sort of texturing do you want to see on it?

4. What ROLE in combat will it fulfill?

What most people don't know is that for every one thing I make that becomes Ordo-issue, I've experimented with 5 other things that just have no place in our arsenal. Most of my issued gear has been at the specific request of a division or squad... the rest often doesn't make it past the concept phase for one reason or another.

So the main question to ask yourself is, "why do we NEED it?" If there's not an immediate good answer to that, then there's a good chance it might not clear the other rules and become Ordo issue. This doesn't mean your gear sucks, or that your time is wasted, but there just might not be a good place for it among the issued gear. Don't be too disappointed, it happens.

What most people don't know is that for every one thing I make that becomes Ordo-issue, I've experimented with 5 other things that just have no place in our arsenal. Most of my issued gear has been at the specific request of a division or squad... the rest often doesn't make it past the concept phase for one reason or another.

So the main question to ask yourself is, "why do we NEED it?" If there's not an immediate good answer to that, then there's a good chance it might not clear the other rules and become Ordo issue. This doesn't mean your gear sucks, or that your time is wasted, but there just might not be a good place for it among the issued gear. Don't be too disappointed, it happens.

aye... i remember when i first started building for the ordo long ago... as far as im aware it was only the handheld flak cannon and the mine that managed to be issued out of several other things... a good way to help get a project that you are working on into ordo is to ask about it first... along with writing up the pointers that agares posted earlier... it may not fully guarantee that your project will be made into an ordo issue piece of equipment... but it helps it a lot...

Aye. For instance... we don't need many more standard issue rifles or shotguns (for the general use of the Ordo populace, I mean). Though, I'm pretty sure Navis would love to have more ships that fulfill their newer mandate. You'd -really- want to talk with who ever heads up development or the squad that you're developing for, as well, before trying to submit something.

Uh, Frumentarii needs... spinny tonfa/sword death blades of awesome.

For the high ranking officers, you know.

In a pair.

With custome animations and ao.

...Just saying.

Another thing i feel is important to note, is that any builds we use for new gear are going to have to be a significant improvement in terms of efficiency. i.e. alot less prims, smaller textures, very efficient scripting.

There is no point in wasting all your time on a 100+ prim gun for Ordo when it won't get issued. You would be better off spending your time learning to sculpt.

Sculpting is difficult to begin with, but once you get your head round it; the world is your oyster. All it takes is practice and patience.

But that said; i do agree with the other posts about RELEVANCE...

Ask yourself "Why do we need this new item, and am I the best person for the job?" for example some of the things i've made for Ordo are:

• The Pilum- because our existing RPG was very out-dated and buggy.

• The base and sim build- because we needed something more entertaining than a slope with a wall at the top.

• The prototype attachment plane- this was needed to provide Astra with a plane that would function when the sim phys-locked. It's also notable that my plane never got issued, and the Nemesis was used instead. (which in my eyes is far better than my plane ever was).