Clicky

Rei Kuhr

Disney only makes one movie

It's really astonishing how similar the ones featured in the video are. A lot of the video showed clips of dancing in Disney movies, which lead me to the conclusion that one reason they may be similar is because of standardized dancing (which I don't know the name of the dances portrayed. Maybe one was The Waltz?)

But as the video got more into it, there were many other clips aside from dancing that were very very much the same just with different characters.

Pretty much the only animation under question there was the film 'Robin Hood' or I think it had some alternate spelling for the sake of its woodland creature angle. The others came prior, and Robin Hood never received much recognition in the first place (straight to VHS or whatever). Not really some overall grand scheme where each follows the next, just the usage of animation in smaller flicks from those prior (Jungle Book and Snow White in particular). Cinderella has quite a sordid history of when and how it was produced and entirely independant. I want to say it took something like 20 or 30 years before Cinderella finally finished production due to a variety of problems. An interesting history nonetheless.

It doesnt cover nearly all the Disney movies. And I doubt they really are as lazy as depicted. However, it is interesting how closely they recycle things between movies. Then again, I dont find it that big a deal. I mean, we've all seen these movies, and did we ever notice before?

It doesnt cover nearly all the Disney movies. And I doubt they really are as lazy as depicted. However, it is interesting how closely they recycle things between movies. Then again, I dont find it that big a deal. I mean, we've all seen these movies, and did we ever notice before?

Actually I did. When I was a Senior in high-school, my first nephew was a couple years old and my second was just a baby. So Disney movies were the norm in my house. Me, with Aspbergers something fierce, I notice details really quick in movies. I noticed the dance sequence from Robin Hood was virtually identical to the entire song and dance number from Aristocats, especially the drummers (one depicted as a Siamese Cat the other as a Slant-Eyed Rabbit). Likewise I recognized the 101 Dalmatians blunder at the end with the shot to the head on Jasper then noticed the same shot the head on Kay from Sword in the Stone.

To me it was a bit of a cop-out. I wondered why in the blue hell they would do something like that, but came to the conclusion that perhaps it was budget cuts? Or maybe it was the whole "I wonder if they'll notice?" situation.

At least Disney has discontinued that old-style of animation.

Seriously though. When one looks at how that old style of animation is done. Before flash, before CGI, before Toon Boom, when animations had to be hand drawn frame by frame by frame, some times the same frame having to be done over several times because of mistakes, it became quite common for not just Disney, but many animation studios to use templates and sequence guides to make dances, fights, and many times comical situations.

When one thinks about how much work has to go into an old style animation production like this, with time constraints, dead lines being moved out or pulled in, not to mention wrist and finger cramps =P can you really fualt them for using a tried and successful method several times over?