Clicky

Seb Yakan

Computer Issues.

So, I have an issue with my computer, I was on SL this morning, and then my screen just went black. I rebooted my computer, and I could see the start up screen and what not then it went black again. I've tried this over and over and I get the same black screen. However, I'm almost positive my computer is still starting up just fine, I can hear the normal start up tune and random programs starting up. So, I'm thinking my video card died on me, I can't get to safe mode either, because the screen goes black before I can get to choosing that option.

But, worse.. it just hit me that I have some finals that require I print some papers off and I can't access them. I really really need all your peoples smarts to help me out. If my video card is indeed dead, I may be gone for some time until I can secure the funds to buy a new one, but more importantly, I need to print the papers from my computer.

You suggestions are appreciated.

sounds like it is doing a higher resolution / refresh then your monitor can handle ..

try booting into safe mode and set your display to 800x600@60hz with 16bit color and reboot normally.

If your graphics card is broken it will be broken outside of windows as well, you'll get anything from weird colorful characters on your screen to POST errors and refusal to boot.

You can also try getting into your bios to delay the windows starting just to check if it gives you a screen. Probably by hitting 'del' like a maniac after turning the computer on.

oh yea, if its XP, and you have a 2nd computer, just type \\computername\c$ on that 2nd one and you should be able to get on its C drive unless you have firewalls and what not running.

sounds like it is doing a higher resolution / refresh then your monitor can handle ..

try booting into safe mode and set your display to 800x600@60hz with 16bit color and reboot normally.

If your graphics card is broken it will be broken outside of windows as well, you'll get anything from weird colorful characters on your screen to POST errors and refusal to boot.

You can also try getting into your bios to delay the windows starting just to check if it gives you a screen. Probably by hitting 'del' like a maniac after turning the computer on.

oh yea, if its XP, and you have a 2nd computer, just type \\computername\c$ on that 2nd one and you should be able to get on its C drive unless you have firewalls and what not running.

Hey, turns out it was my monitor, and it's pretty much dead. Thanks so much for your help! I have a secondary monitor hooked up at the moment and I was wanting to buy a bigger monitor anyways :> I'm just glad it wasn't my video card or anything. Thanks again for your help! ;D

Edited by Seb Yakan