Clicky

Aryte

"Why is Aryte only allowed to OK attacks?" June 22, 2009

The question was proposed to me (or rather, referenced to me down the grapevine): "Why is Aryte the only one allowed to OK attacks?" I assume this is a curiosity shared by at least more than one person, so I figured it'd be worth touching on for clarity.

Let me begin by clearing up a common misconception: however it is true that it is necessary for me to approve all assaults, it is not necessary for me to be present to lead or even be present/online for an assault. Officers have had the capability to pre-plan attacks for a very, very long time. The privilege is utilized . . actually a lot more than most would realize. This can be seen in the weekly alpha-unit specific raids, such as the Antesegnani attacks that Gulliver Carpool plans.

But, to the base of the question: why only me? There are several reasons.

1. Control and accountability: if every assault must be sanctioned, every assault is known of and has a degree of control over it, allowing for an effective routine of policy provision. This allows that the Ordo is consistent in its quality and goals in assault-- to be respectful, provide the opportunity for fun, while projecting an air of dominance on the field.

2. Supervision of judgment: as the public face and direct supervisor of the Ordo, all actions of the Ordo directly reflect upon me. As such, it only makes valid sense that I have a hand in ensuring the most vivid example of our group--combat--is supervised. The Ordo has always been a dictatorship, with a monolithic control. I run the Ordo democratically in the sense of policy, not because I have to.

3. Professionalism: haphazard application of military might is chaotic and, however it may grant amusement for the participants at the time, runs the risk of poorly representing the group and its ideals. The Ordo has a high retention rate because of the strict element of control and professionalism, not because we pew-pew things.

4. Tactical and strategic advantage: half the battle is planning to win. Although I do have a great deal of trust for my officers and battlefield commanders, the Ordo maintains a significant advantage by choosing our battles.

I've had a few individuals point to the Merczateers and go "well, they let some of their under officers lead attacks. It works for them!" Well yes, that's true. The Merczateers do allow for some officers to organize combat, dependent upon the rating of the groups involved-- IE: high value targets can only be attacked by generals, whereas low value targets can be attacked by junior officers, etc. Again, I stress . . Ordo officers can do the very same with forethought! Perhaps this power simply has not been explored enough. If a "high value vs. low value" target list would assist officers, I can draft one up.

It was suggested that the Ordo "could be viewed as weak" because of the assumed policies on assaults that we use. Straight from the New Jessie War Journal, I quote:

The Merczateers alone probably have more active members than most any other group or combination of groups put together

3. Professionalism: haphazard application of military might is chaotic and, however it may grant amusement for the participants at the time, runs the risk of poorly representing the group and its ideals. The Ordo has a high retention rate because of the strict element of control and professionalism, not because we pew-pew things.

Case in point, Vanguard's policy dictated that officers could not only lead attacks at their whim, they could merely "approve" attacks, in a scenario that usually went like this.

Sh

Zrazor that makes absoultely no sense...

How can you not be banned from Sparta??

I used to go to Sparta and do things like carpet-bomb with fleet ships, strafe infantry with planes, fire rocket volleys right into their base, etc. and not get banned.

This says to me that Bruno has absolutely no real principles and bans people based purely on personal vendettas rather than anything they actually do.

Also there was this one time I went to Second Chance drunk as a motherfucker at 2 AM and attempted to perform diplomacy with one of his generals in an attempt to create an anti-IS alliance, which made perfect sense to me at the time, since Christoph listed me as a "Sovereign Regime figurehead," a position reserved exclusively for Vanguard high officers and Kommand. I attempted these relations for about ten minutes before Garion dragged me out of there. It was hysterical.