Clicky

Aryte

[IS] The Alliance Navy: A Legacy of Finery - 29JULY09

I sent the following letter to AN HC after Jason Backer formally quit SL to pursue real-life issues.

Greetings Alliance,

Without a doubt, the loss of Jason Backer is one that is deeply impacting, not only to the Alliance, but to the community itself. Mr. Backer was one of my most valued friends and confidants: over the time that I was able to spend with him, he frequently was the cause of a many progressive movements and one of the individuals I considered among my best friends. He will be missed.

Jason Backer was important to me personally, but he was important to the Alliance even more so. Although he is gone, his idea and his dream of seeing the AN united and strong is not without merit.

Back in the day, when I was a wee fledgling commander, trying to act "cool" and "down with it" in Venuma North-- the Alliance Navy was /the/ super power on the grid. To be in the Alliance was to be part of something grand: the AN was the pinnacle of SL military combat. I respected them--you--as really the defining idea of the community. Three years later, the Alliance Navy may not be the largest of groups, but you are all still part of one of the oldest, most defining organizations that graces the grid. Without the AN, SL combat would really be a whole lot different and a lot less exciting.

You all have my utmost respect and reverence. I know the ability of the AN. I know the ability of the AN's leaders. I know the spirit of the AN, and the capability of the AN to survive. I know without a doubt in my mind that you will all do that and more: you will survive, and you will prosper, no matter the obstacle.

Stay the course. The Ordo sends its regards and its best wishes.

Long live the Alliance Navy,

Aryte Vesperia

The Ordo Imperialis

I really believe they should approach Judge Hocho to lead them back to their former greatness. If anyone can do it - Judge can, and I know this first hand as I flew under his command as a fighter pilot in the ANAD as Tracy Laszlo. I am sure there will be many that will adamantly oppose this idea because Judge was hated and respected with equal furvor. Judge was a military man in RL and so was I - so I perhaps have a deeper appreciation for what he can do. The question is - would he entertain the thought to even going back to the AN if he was sought after? I don't know - but I am sure he is keeping his ear to the flame and is totally aware of what is going on news wise with AN at this time. Should be interesting to watch how this all plays out. Biz/Jim/Nanou/Luca/Judge - possibilities are interesting as hell.

And yes - Jason was a true friend to us all - a great guy. His spirit really shined through that SL AV of his - nothing could hide his soul.

He will be missed for sure !

Detox

Judge would be great for keeping members up and possibly moving forwards for the group, but he would likely break a few ties and cause some problems based on opinion of others, which would hinder their ability to defend when numbers are low, and would open them up to the grief'y sorts that are against any type of organized alliance.

Yes Ky and Sera - not that I have any first hand knowledge of any prejudices Judge held for Ordo because I did not but I had already assumed Judge would not be pro alliance. Being 'old school' he would fight hard to bring back AN back to its former status on the grid. Not that it ever was my intent to consider Judge in order to break the alliance - it was not. Aryte fought so hard for this Alliance which is frankly amazing in itself and I would not want to do or say anything to impact the current status quo. Nevertheless, sometimes I long for those old days of epic combat on land and air but the bottom line is AN needs to do what is best for AN and they will choose the right course for themselves. I will just remove myself from this discussion at this time as I do not want to open any old wounds because of sensitive issues such as these.

Keep 'em flyin'

Detox

Nadav is 2ic of the ANMD at this time. Jim is 2ic of the AN.

I think Jim is a good choice. off course he can lean on his incredible experience as leader of the AN already and he is sort of on the same page as us.

Judge as Admiral would indeed result in an AN that may find itself improving but yeah, Judge is one of those old veterans that fought the Ordo but were not around to see relations improving over the course of time. We would have to start from the bottom again, and so would the AN. Judge is from the same Era as luca. The only difference is that Judge is capable of changing with his group, starting to trust people and acknowledging that relations change. Luca can't. I think if you want to bring one of the old guys back, you'd also want to consider cirius Montale.

If I may add - I always thought Luca was what was BEST for the AN and what was WORST. He was the most fearless, cunning, unbeatable warrior ever to have worn military armor - but then again - in my opinion, Luca had a bad side about him. I think it went to his head a bit. But as a young AN recruit taking my basic training from Luca - it got real old hearing him yelling at all the cadets and calling us 'fags' and anything else that came to him. I did not appreciate that side of him for sure.

And then when I became an ANAD pilot - I started to think somehow that ANAD was trying to be made impotent because the ground troops and high command had so many rules mandated against the pilots - flying too high or going past the bulwarks - never being allowed to fly and patrol the sim terrain. I would privately believe it was really because the Infantry was envious of ANAD and these new rulings were their way to hold them back - unfounded I am sure. But it was always Luca yelling at us over comm. So one day he said something to me over comm - I don't recall exactly what it was - and I just snapped off a retort over comm ; "Ah, don't get your skirts up in a ruffle". DAMN ! The wrath from hell was unleashed on me. Luca made me immediately rez to the ground and proceeded to pulverize me verbally and endlessly - geeeez - I wish I would have saved that chat log - lol.

Just thought you all might appreciate this little anecdote since it is a good time for us all to reflect on the Alliance Navy and all that it has meant to the military grid.

Detox

Keep 'em flyin'

The AN and Ordo have not always had a good standing. Quite the opposite as I can remember the AN was behind some pretty dirty work against us. For the longest time we were bitter enemies, a brief war and then a ban from combat against them which reeked of Vanguard's pulling the strings.

Either way, they're not the same organization they used to be, neither are we. Few groups can lose a leader and still go on. Despite the previous chaffing between us, we could have a stable future.

This is what we were atleast striving to do, and I know many long standing AN membership wouldn't want to see the group die after so long. There would certainy be a power vacuum if they suddenly vanished. So we will be here to support them and watch through this difficult time of transition. Its the foudnation behind the symphony, to honour and respsect one another, and if need be, shoulder eachother's burdens as friends, not necessarily allies but sharing a common standard we all strive to achieve.