Clicky

Aelus

Aelus Janus; Lux Lucis Excerpt

I've never been much of a "paradise" kind of guy. I'm not a "beach person," I burn in the sun and find little interest in showing off my phospholipid bilayers in a bathing suit. I am, however, something of a rugged soldier. And if you're like me, there's no greater test than the Caelestis system's third satellite, Titan--for your body, mind and soul. You've heard about the summer months on Titan, when everything magically becomes "alive" and the skirmishes occur en masse. I'm not talking about the summer months. I'm talking about the harsh ambush season, when Titan is one cold, rugged hell waiting for you. It pushes one to the limit, truly.

I stayed in Arx Fatalis, the capital city, where it was more-so an Ordo Imperialis military city state than a civilian controlled sector. I saw the local Praetorian Guard there, some of the most interesting individuals I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. The barracks I stayed at was more like a five-star hotel than a military establishment, and I rarely found the need to lock my door at night. Every morning I would prowl the morning-shift ranks, with the intent of catalyzing fear among the enlisted. I find that it is better to be feared than to be loved.

It's cold. So very cold, it's glorious. The kind of cold that truly makes you feel alive. It gets under your skin and doesn't ever really go away, even through the layers of officer attire the cold persists. That ice in your veins, it makes your heart race. It makes you aware of every inch of yourself. Tread carefully though, for with cold comes numbness, and to be wounded without knowing on the battlefield could cost you your life--especially on Titan.

I would supervise Schola training sessions, and go on raids with the Alphas, letting the cold envelop me, embrace me. My nights were spent at the local taverns, becoming friends with the most extreme individuals.

The cold never completely leaves you. You never become complacent, or take things for granted.

You are truly alive on Titan.

I stayed four years... I wish it were longer.

So, if you're like me, and fun in the sun and surf just doesn't do anything for you, if you truly feel your best when it seems that the extremes are almost picking a fight with you, then get yourself to Titan. You may never return.