Clicky

Corsi Mousehold

So what exactly is an Alpha Squad?

An individual, during the course of their enlistment will doubtless hear of Invictus, or Insidiae, or Antesignani. No, these are not ways of preparing Italian seafood, but rather the Terra's elite combat units, the Alpha Squads. New Numerii are curious as to what is going on when someone says that Insidiae is finalizing their new gear, or that Invictus just came back from a deployment. They didn't learn of these strange weapons in Schola and it creates a large interest as to how they can get this gear and what can they do with it. So lets answer these common questions.

What is an Alpha Squad?

This question should be rephrased to 'What are the Alpha Squads?' And contrary to popular belief there are not just three. There are actually four Alpha Squads. They are called Invictus, Antesignani, Insidiae, and The Apostles. The first three are Terra squads while the Apostles are an Astra squad. These persons are the elite fighters of Terra and Astra. They are the people that shine in combat and kill efficiently. An Alpha squad is also a group that prides itself in fair play to achieve their goals. They work hard to be a role model and set the example for the rest of the group. These are the people that want to tirelessly stand on the line in the defense of Titan and really do have a love for combat.

What does it take to become a member of an Alpha Squad?

This is actually a lot more complex than you can imagine. If you want to work hard and dedicate yourself to improving the overall appearance of the Ordo, then yes you have the start of what it takes. It also takes a great degree of time and skill. You want to be able to push yourself to the limit and effectively kill. So practice here and there when you can and taking part of offensive maneuvers against opposing militaries with the rest of the group really works to hone that skill and create a better ... you. The Squad commanders will see this. And your approaches of wishing candidacy are thus looked at a bit more readily. Also there is a sense of humility. You may hear the occasional banter about how this person kicked in the face of such and such a group. But in the end when you ask a person about what their squad does and how it functions, you'll hear a lot about brotherhood and teamwork. It's that sense and thought process that makes the difference.

What are the differences between the squads?

What do the different squads do?

Well, each of the four has a separate role to play. Where as all the squads can work well individually, when working as a team, they work even better. The general roles are as follows:

Invictus: Frontline shock-trooper. They mainly use an SMG and gear to get up close and personal, assaulting the defense line and rushing in head first. They try and break a hole into a defense and secure a position with the use of close combat force tactics. They strike fear into the enemy and break their spirit by relentlessly pushing forward and eliminating those around them.

Antesignani: Falsely thought of as being strictly an Armored division and heavy weapons, Antesignani's true role is that of Long Range Fire Support. Yes, Ante is the one that uses the tanks more often than anyone but it's the way we use them. With an LMG as our primary weapon, we engage at range making sure to only remove enemy targets and firing over the shoulders of our Invictus brothers. As an Armored division, they take several roles. Ranged support as well as a spearhead on offense and a stable defense post on defense.

Insidiae: Infiltration. While Invictus and Antesignani are duking it out with the enemy, Insidiae is moving quickly and swiftly in cover to secure other positions. They try and get to different positions and spread out on the line only to pull everyone in their squad to a weakness in the defense and exploit it using their SMG's and demolitions to cover their tracks and make sure the weak point in the defense stays exactly where it is.

Apostles: Simply put they are thought of as just the skilled pilots of the Ordo. But remembering that not everywhere there will be Aireal combat, they have a secondary purpose. They are equipped with weapons that are meant to assist the other three ground squads. When the ground troops are assisted by the Apostles, no one survives the assault. Their weaponry includes a modular weapon that can fire as a long range support weapon, an SMG, and even as a shotgun and M203. It's the most versatile weapon of the squads though like a Swiss Army knife, the actual tool is better in the long run. In the air, they are feared. They command the most dangerous crafts in the Ordo and bring on a pain that cannot be fathomed. They fly in hard and fast, bombing strategic locales on the map and shooting down everything else.

in short, Invictus gets sent out quickly followed by the rest. With all of the squads engaging together, they are the definition of devastation.

If I get into an Alpha Squad, what are the requirements?

Dedication. Humility. Skill. Prowess ... All of these and more. For Invictus you have to want to take matters somewhat recklessly. For Antesignani, you have to want to be controlled and calm under heavy fire. For Insidiae, you have to want to be tactical and sneaky. For The Apostles you have to want to fly.

Professionalism off the field, deadliness on the field.

The Alpha squads, like the Ordo, are not independent. They are the elite but not the elitists. If you ask an Alpha squad member for help, you will get it with a smile. We are always looking to help people. And we really enjoy it to be honest.

So what does it take to be an Alpha squad member? A desire to help people.

Corsi: Apostles: Simply put they are thought of as just the skilled pilots of the Ordo. But remembering that not everywhere there will be Aireal combat, they have a secondary purpose. They are equipped with weapons that are meant to assist the other three ground squads. When the ground troops are assisted by the Apostles, no one survives the assault. Their weaponry includes a modular weapon that can fire as a long range support weapon, an SMG, and even as a shotgun and M203. It's the most versatile weapon of the squads though like a Swiss Army knife, the actual tool is better in the long run. In the air, they are feared. They command the most dangerous crafts in the Ordo and bring on a pain that cannot be fathomed. They fly in hard and fast, bombing strategic locales on the map and shooting down everything else.

Correction - The Apostles first and foremost responsibility and mandate is as an INSTRUCTOR to teach and train Ordo ASTRA Cadets in the art of aerial SL combat in order to Rule the Skies and defend and protect our brothers and sisters on the ground.

Let no one lose sight of this - all else is subsidiary.

Detox Exonar

Keep 'em Flyin'

Invictus: Frontline shock-trooper. They mainly use an SMG and gear to get up close and personal, assaulting the defense line and rushing in head first. They try and break a hole into a defense and secure a position with the use of close combat force tactics. They strike fear into the enemy and break their spirit by relentlessly pushing forward and eliminating those around them.

In short, Invictus gets sent out quickly followed by the rest. With all of the squads engaging together, they are the definition of devastation.

If you don't mind Corsi, I'd like to take this chance to elaborate further on Invictus's combat niche.

Invictus, above all else, is geared to be a rapid response team. We take pride in our ability to be able to receive word of a threat, either to Ordo or one of her allies, and be geared up and deploying in under 60 seconds. While they may seem to charge in with reckless abandon, there's more to it than that. It's more of a high risk, high reward combat style. Invictus members thrive in the bedlam of heated battle. Constant awareness of one's surroundings in a combat environment is a must for any Invictus marine. Being able to gauge the order in which a series of attacks will come, and quickly responding in whatever manner most efficiently eliminates those threats is a must. Also, of all of Terra's Alpha Contubernium forces, Invictus is also the most closely tied to Astra. We must rely on them when using our drop pods to hit far behind enemy lines, in the few sims that allow them.

Good post though, Corsi. With all the new blood coming in, it was a much needed one.

To any of that new blood, as Corsi mentioned, I'm happy to answer any further questions regarding Invictus. Our CO is Keller Teichmann, and our XOs are Teron Gray and zanndor Aeon. I'm sure they'd be more than willing to respond to inquiries as well.

I would like to say something as well... I am new and have not yet been inducted into an alpha squad, however, I have talked to a few other new members, and want to put it out there, that while being accepted into an alpha squad is an honor, you want to join an alpha squad based on your own combat style. There's more than enough groups to fit your combat style, no matter what it is. However, you don't want to join up in an alpha squad just to be in an alpha squad.

Actually Detox ... They are now an Alpha Squad. They are the instructors too yes, but the Apostles are now the elite squad of Astra. Why do you think all the Apostles got the Alpha Contubernium merit?

Corsi - I really don't care if ASTRA was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor - Alpha squad or not - the point is the APOSTLE's primary responsibility is to be a teacher and mentor to our cadets and unless you are an APOSTLE you might want to abstain from trying to define or re-define what our primary role and objective is.

Detox Exonar

Keep em Flyin'

Apostles pretty much are the OG Alpha. They've been around since the time when Terra just had the Legions. [ Levitas = <3 ] But yes. Being as I was an apostle at one point, during that time Apostles were simply the Alpha squad of Astra. They had no prior responsibilities other than being epic. You could just as easily be bumped out of that spot, as you had gotten in. Now-a-days They are indeed an Alpha squad, and the Imperial Flight trainers. So, Thus. The Apostles have always been an 'Alpha' Squad. They're just not the same as they were when we had Sukasa Rydell around. Elitism.

[2:55] Sosarin Demar: Well the Apostles are a special bag. Shortbus special. They do not conform to Terra's depiction of the Alpha Squad -- a group that excels in a special form of combat, be it armor or droppods or crossbows. They were originally created by Sukasa Rydell as a group of people who would be recognized as "Aces". Officers would recognize peeps for their combat excellence. In hindsight it seemed more like an ego boost for Sukasa, but that's a whole dramatic tale in and of itself. When Sukasa went AWOL for months we opted to try and make it work. However, officers couldn't witness every battle or every person. It was hard to judge people. It essentially was a cool kids club that served no unique function whatsoever. After I became Legates, I gave the Apostles the purpose to instruct. So, they were veteran/ace pilots who had a task at hand. The group was given meaning in this way. However, the Apostles suffer in that they do not get special gear (at least for the longest time) and they do the same thing as

[2:55] Sosarin Demar: the rest of their compatriots. So, it's not like a Terra Alpha Squad. It's also very small, encompassing anywhere between 5-7 instructors.

[2:57] Sosarin Demar: We tried to make Terminus, the Dropship Squadon experiment (and remnant of Navis in a way), Alpha Squad status. To try and switch that ideal over to them. They would fly a special ship on top of their other airplane toys. But, dividing Astra into more than one unit at such a scale was undoable due to insufficient oversight and personnel. This caused confusion, obviously.

[2:58] Sosarin Demar: These days we're trying to inject a sense of combat into the Apostles to make them feel more than just like airplane Schola. They are on a league of their own, though. In Schola, Cadets go through exercises. In flight training, Cadets have to improve and eventually excel the standard. There's a level one must operate at with a good eye and sense of things that make it a unique flavin's from others schools such as Schola and Armatura.

[3:01] Sosarin Demar: At any rate it's an interesting history. One that I find interesting, at any rate. An obscure one at that.

[3:28] Corsi Mousehold: You sir .... Thank you for that.

[3:28] Sosarin Demar: No problems.

[3:28] Corsi Mousehold: Post that.

[3:29] Sosarin Demar: Fyne. ;.;

Alpha squad or not - the point is the APOSTLE's primary responsibility is to be a teacher and mentor to our cadets

I would hazard that this is the responsibility of all Alpha Squads, but we in the Apostles take it one step further by offering a team able to train the newest inductees to the Astra division.

We teach literally, but we need to teach figuratively, too. We teach by right action and good conduct. We uphold the very highest standards of the Ordo Imperialis, but we're not jackasses about it; we're the ones who have the time to dedicate to furthering ourselves and others in the group, we're the ones who set the standard for others to aspire to. The members of the Alpha squads are at the top of their respective games, each an invaluable asset to the group.

Without being combat effective, or courteous, or upholding the rules and regulations laid out in the best interests of the group, to the best of our ability... what right do we have to teach? We have to be all those things and more to rightfully deserve our place at the very top of the best military on the battlefields of the Grid.

The whole uproar about the Apostles and their alpha status is understandable. It's been a long time since they've been recignized or conducted themselves in an Alpha squad Capacity. Like before I joined Ordo over a year ago long time.

The point of the Alpha squad merit being awarded was brought up by Corsi:

Actually Detox ... They are now an Alpha Squad. They are the instructors too yes, but the Apostles are now the elite squad of Astra. Why do you think all the Apostles got the Alpha Contubernium merit?

Blaze has been an Apostle since 01JUN09, yet she JUST received her Alpha squad merit on 23MAY10.

Link For referance: http://forums.ordoimperialis.com/index.php?/topic/8164-ordo-promotions-23may10/page__view__findpost__p__61364

In an orginizational Sense, they've been scattered amongs the 3 flights and never really having their own unit that they themselves are unique to, as the case is for the Terra Alpha units. They're assigned to one of the regular 3 flights, report to their flight leaders who are in command of their regular flights (some Apostles are flight leaders as well) and fall under the command of the Regular squadron command tree. Getting into the Apostles is also not that different from getting into the IEA. From my understanding, if you're E3, Have a month in Astra, and want to be an Apostle, you were tested to see if you were compitant enough to teach the material. If you were, and you completed training, you became an Apostle.

Referance: http://forums.ordoimperialis.com/index.php?/topic/5978-astra-meeting-112809/page__view__findpost__p__47287

Timestamp 17:15

Being considered an Ace Pilot (Ace Pilot merit) was not a requirement. Example: Heavy666 Boden.

Referance: http://forums.ordoimperialis.com/index.php?/topic/7095-weekly-discussion-astra-02222010/page__view__findpost__p__55765

Date of Post: 10MAR10

1: Have you talked to Your flight leader, Heavy, about any of this yet?
You Mentioned the Astra Apostles. Your Flight leader is also an Apostle.

Heavy had been a Flight leader and an Apostle for quite a while. He received the Ace Pilot merit 13MAR10

Referance: http://forums.ordoimperialis.com/index.php?/topic/7314-ordo-meeting-13mar10/page__view__findpost__p__55999

Bottom of the Meeting log, promotions Section.

The whole time I've been in Astra, The Apostles have been a Training Cadre. Much like the Magisters are to Schola, except they're in the pilot seat across from the new pilot and are combating with them on a 1 on 1 and group basis. Thus Generally have more stick time than the rest of us.

The past year that I've been in Astra, the Closest thing that I have personally seen that reflects an Alpha squad in the modern Sense was the Dropship Squadron: Terminus.

They had Separate Forums, Aircraft, unit, command tree, Training, logo, mentality, and even a unit specific weapon in the works. The end of Summer came about and activity and membership dropped, then the unit was dissolved and reconstituted with the Fighter Squadron into the Tactical Squadron. So that probably adds to the confusion as well. But the point being, It was a non-alpha squad that looked and operated like an Alpha squad, while the Real Alpha Squad looked and operated like Schola/Armatura.

I've heard rumors that there is some progress being made to try and fix this confusion and get the Apostles geared more towards Combat again. On top of that, they're setting themselves towards being more in tune to the current model of alpha squads. Unfortunantly, information has been really scarce about that, but I do hope that they manage to improve their image as an Alpha squad so there is no confusion as to it's legitimacy or function.

I am rather disturbed by this previous post. I feel that it is an effort to shine light upon the attempt that was Terminus. I find that admirable. However, I find the execution of the post seems to demean the image of the Apostles. I am not fond of this.

Awarding the Apostle the Alpha Cont. merit so late was a mishap. It was an, "Oh, we should have handed it out to these guys some time ago." A "my bad" on my part. As for every Apostle Instructor being required to have the Ace Pilot merit to be an "ace"? Well, I guess another mishap. I honestly don't care about ace pilot merits. I haven't recommended someone for one in many months and don't plan on doing so for a long, long time.

A long time ago I approached Aryte on this topic of whether or not the Apostles were an Alpha Squad. I asked him what constituted one. He inquired, "is it made of elite people?" I said yes. When Terminus came along, I leaned the title to them in an effort to match the paradigm of the Terra Alpha Squads. It didn't work out. So, the title goes back to the Apostles.

The Apostles are our Alpha Squad at the present. The king has spoken.

One more food for thought. Just because Terra has more Alpha Squads then we do doesn't mean ours has to be the same as theirs. Astra operates differently because it has to.

I feel it would be best that we swept this Apostle discussion under the mat. We've all shared our two Applebees coupons on the matter. This is about Alpha Squads in general and not just the Apostles.

If people want to continue this debate, then erect another thread.

Okay, after calming down a bit from the sheer level of pissed off that post Wolfshaman made I've decided to post some more coherent thoughts on the matter. Then I'll shaddup.

The problem isn't whether or not the Apostles meet the definition of Alpha Squad. My beef is that I want the Apostles to be special. I want them to feel special. Why? Because they are special. They do something that no one else quite does. It's quite easy to equate them to "Airplane Schola", or something like the "IEA", but when you consider the fact that it encompasses people who are required to fly well, teach well, and monitor well -- it operates on a whole new level.

In Schola for instance, people are initially put through combat exercises. They are not necessarily required to excel at them. In flight instruction, the Apostle instructor is required to teach and excel every flight cadet that coems their way. A flight cadet has to exceed a standard and not merely jump through the ropes. An Apostle Instructor is a breed all their own.

While not every Apostle Instructor may have initially been awarded the Ace Pilot merit, they are individuals chosen and trained because they were capable of the job at the time. They've proven themselves worthy beyond mere rewards. I have a bad habit of thinking of rewards as secondary, so my apologies there. If they don't have the Ace Pilot Merit yet, well then by gods tell me and we'll fix it. When I said I "didn't care" about Ace Pilot Merits, I meant it in this regard.

The Apostles may be spread out amongst the various flights in the Tactical Squadron, but they can potentially operate as their own entity as well. That is why I have an Apostle Commander. The prior Apostle Commander, Heather McKay, did not take advantage of this. She did things well, but her responsibilities in Curia and real life restrained her from paying sole attention on the Apostles. However, my role as superior above Heather also makes me share some of the blame.

With Kryo Recreant in command, I hope to see more autonomy among the Apostles. I want to see them integrated among the flights because we don't have enough people to have them be entirely separate. Hopefully someday soon, but not today.

Astra is a different creature and operates differently from Terra. And so, the Apostles as our Alpha Squad is defined differently as well. If we can mirror their practices and definitions, great. If not, then let's be unique. I see nothing wrong with being unique, either.

Edit:

One more thing. Astra peeps -- everytime you post something that makes Astra look confusing, chaotic, or shitty -- that reflects on you. So yeah. Times have been rough, but start thinking about what you want to say, where you want to say it, and who is going to be listening.

Apostles were never ORIGINALLY an alpha squad, and that is the primary point there. At no point was there much of an announcement to make it so, either. But hey, best of luck in that arena either way. If I recall the Ace Pilot merit also preceded the Alpha Contubernium, and thus the paradigm was formed. Makes one wonder if Astra can now acquire Ace Pilot as well as Alpha Contubernium, what merit is similar to Ace Pilot that Terra can acquire?

Either way, many of the responses given in regards to definitions occurred because the thread poster is not someone who has been around at the inception of the alpha squads, nor Astra Apostles, and is attempting to voice their definition of such.

When I initially made this post, I had hoped that the four squads would have embraced the idea and really taken the opportunity to elaborate on their individual contribution to the whole. I have seen that from Garion and am very happy that he has done so. Beyond that however there is a bit of a conflict as to what The Apostles are doing and how they are seen. Sosarin is absolutely correct in his statements on how people posting to this thread are seen. And I hope that his words are taken to heart.

To that end, I will again encourage the last two squads to post something here to elaborate and add to the topic. Those being Antesignani and Insidiae.

As a final note, please for the sake of those coming into the Ordo and seeing this thread for the first time, do not speak contrarily or out of anger to those that have posted before you. Speak from the heart and add to this collective good.

I created the Apostles based upon the need to have an elite fighting air unit (early 2008, late 2007-- pre forums).

Sukasa Rydell was one of the originals; ask 'em! So yes, the Apostles were intended to be an elite air unit. An alpha unit. It only made sense to have the best pilots teaching the other pilots, y'know?

Part instructor, part fighter ace. It became more instructor based for a while, but the 50/50 shift is here.

Long ago you had to have an Ace Pin to be an Apostle. Or hell, it may have been you received the Ace Pin upon joining the Apostles.

Insidiae: Infiltration. While Invictus and Antesignani are duking it out with the enemy, Insidiae is moving quickly and swiftly in cover to secure other positions. They try and get to different positions and spread out on the line only to pull everyone in their squad to a weakness in the defense and exploit it using their SMG's and demolitions to cover their tracks and make sure the weak point in the defense stays exactly where it is.

Whenever somebody asks what we do, I'm going to just copypaste this. It's the best summary of what we do I've seen yet.

Overall I think the document is very well-composed and conveys the purpose and spirit of alpha squads and what they're all about quite well.

To those squabbling about whether or not the Apostles count, I'm confused as to why you'd object to receiving positive press. :blank:

The only thing I'd add is that alpha squads place a heavy emphasis not only upon excellence in combat, but also upon teamwork. Squads are intended to be cohesive units capable of working together effectively and wouldn't accomplish much without that.

I created the Apostles based upon the need to have an elite fighting air unit (early 2008, late 2007-- pre forums).

Sukasa Rydell was one of the originals; ask 'em! So yes, the Apostles were intended to be an elite air unit. An alpha unit. It only made sense to have the best pilots teaching the other pilots, y'know?

Part instructor, part fighter ace. It became more instructor based for a while, but the 50/50 shift is here.

Long ago you had to have an Ace Pin to be an Apostle. Or hell, it may have been you received the Ace Pin upon joining the Apostles.

Could always ask me, too! ;D

intusapostle.png