Clicky

Sosarin Demar

The Anime-Fag Thread

I was going to throw obscure shit in here just to be an elitist dickbag...

Please by all means feel free to throw in obscure stuff, too. That would be really helpful for most of us who are actually interested in this thread.

Elfen Lied. Shit is fucked up. The first seven minutes of the first episode are like the most violent thing ever.

Haha, I'm kinda with Cyphre and her reaction.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's worthy to list it. But, the thing that bugs me about it is that it's essentially a slasher anime that tries to get really deep, when in actuality it seems like it's just posing and has no depth.

Kinda like Evangelion. *Gasp*

But that's just me.

Amazing opening music, though.

26851111356844.jpg

SEE? FREDDY. FUCKING. MERCURY. :love:

What else? Uhhh. Azumanga Daioh and Lucky Star for the sake of having-to-list-those.

If the concept of "Dragon Ball Z Tennis" sounds stupid enough for you to want to watch it, there's Prince of Tennis.

Spiral is this old-ish detective-ish show that doesn't end worth a shit because it's based on a manga that was still going (lawl common theme)...but it's really awesome.

R.O.D - the TV is pretty good, tho' the original R.O.D OAV was better. And how can you not love the name "READ OR DIE"?

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni if you like fucked-up stuff. I haven't watched all of it yet myself, because I'm lazy.

Along the lines of "Awesome but I haven't finished it yet", Mushishi.

Yeah uh. That's a fair bit of watching for anyone.

Oh and GREAT TEACHER ONIZUKA because I love GTO.

Start with the original series "Mobile Suit Gundam".

If you don't like the full out war of it, then switch to G Gundam or Gundam wing. However, I don't find those to be as awesome.

The original Mobile Suit Gundam is indeed a very classic series. It's also pretty old.

I was a personal fan of the GunCannon and RX-71 Gundams. Also mainly because i got hooked into the series from the old PS2 game "Mobile Suit Gundam: Federation vs. Zeon" and the RX-71 was basically the one badass gundam next to anything Char is piloting.

Also, side note: Anyone notice a slight similarity between Char and Cobra Commander..?

>_>

Never was fond of the original Mobile Suit Gundam series. Couldn't get past the...I guess you could call it the 70s-ness of it all.

There are a lot of spinoff series set in the MSG timeline I do like though. 0083: Stardust Memory is one of my favorites.

...How did I end up seriously discussing anime here? :cry:

Someone find me some decent anime with Neko's !

Outlanders (1986) [There be Dragons ...]

In the midst of a violent invasion of Earth by unknown alien forces, photojournalist Wakatsuki Tetsuya comes across a scantily-clad alien woman, cutting a swath of death through the Terran ranks with her sword. After a chaotic struggle, Tetsuya is knocked unconscious, only to awaken aboard her starship. To his surprise, she turns out to be Kahm, the invaders' princess - and she has picked Tetsuya for a starring role in her upcoming wedding. As the groom....

(from ANN)

I think there's a Neko in there, somewhere. A one shot OVA thing.

As for it being decent ... well, I remember it being "okay", but it's been so long that I honestly dont' know.

Here's a yahoo question thread where someone asked that and a bunch of people spout out suggestions:

/>http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080721081219AAGwzkD

Never was fond of the original Mobile Suit Gundam series. Couldn't get past the...I guess you could call it the 70s-ness of it all.

...How did I end up seriously discussing anime here? :cry:

Yeah, some series are "classics", but they don't age well. I recently re-watched Super Dimensional Fortress Macross (from 1982 no less) and ... it really didn't age well in storytelling. Old animation I can forgive, but cheesy storytelling I can't overlook. Took me over a month to finish it, too. That really says something.

Anyway, 'tis good you're still at the party. Please continue to share you input on the subject, particularly what you consider non-anime's. Because good anime's are non-anime's according to Zrazor dictum -- so please share your non-anime's that-look-like-anime's-but-are-good-so-they're-non-anime's.

Yeah, some series are "classics", but they don't age well. I recently re-watched Super Dimensional Fortress Macross (from 1982 no less) and ... it really didn't age well in storytelling. Old animation I can forgive, but cheesy storytelling I can't overlook. Took me over a month to finish it, too. That really says something.

Anyway, 'tis good you're still at the party. Please continue to share you input on the subject, particularly what you consider non-anime's. Because good anime's are non-anime's according to Zrazor dictum -- so please share your non-anime's that-look-like-anime's-but-are-good-so-they're-non-anime's.

FAMILY GUY :awesome:

many of Leiji Matsumoto's animes are pretty awesome as well like Captain Harlock, Space Battleship Yamato , and Galaxy Express 999. I recommend giving them a watch as well

if your a fan of street fighter check out the animes and not the crummy american cartoon (though if you want to laugh of the poor quality of the cartoon you can check it out)

I also been watching Zillion on youtube which is pretty neat as well.

Steamboy a pretty good one as well and recommended if you <3 steampunk.

Jin-roh a pretty decent anime based off the panzercop manga.

Silent mobius is another interesting anime mixing cyberpunk with war against demons. Reminds me alot of the game illusion city.

the sky crawler movie i really enjoyed as well especially love the designs of the aircraft. very WWII feeling there.

also if crazy dirty harry like cops are your thing check out Mad Bull 34 as well.

Please by all means feel free to throw in obscure stuff, too. That would be really helpful for most of us who are actually interested in this thread.

Haha, I'm kinda with Cyphre and her reaction.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's worthy to list it. But, the thing that bugs me about it is that it's essentially a slasher anime that tries to get really deep, when in actuality it seems like it's just posing and has no depth.

Kinda like Evangelion. *Gasp*

But that's just me.

Amazing opening music, though.

I think the message is entirely how you interprete the story. I've personally watched it through about 6 times now.

And yes, great opening music..Its on my ipod :D

Trinity Blood [Check It Out]

Synopsis:

The background is in the distant future after the destruction brought about by Armageddon. The war between the vampires and the humans continue to persist. In order to protect the humans from the vampires, Vatican has to rely on other allies to counter the situation. The protagonist, a priest called Peter Abel Nightroad, travels through the countries as a representative for the Vaticans. However, he is also part of "Ax", a special operations group controlled by the Cardinal Catherina. His encounter with a young girl called Esther will determine the struggle and survival between the human race and the vampires.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__4PiVKMuAQ

(Opening. It's loud, will need to turn your volume down.)

It's kind of like Trigun (when observing the protagonist -- an old, powerful dude with a sense for good who pretends he's naive) meets Hellsing (human org. fighting the vampires). I hate comparing animoo to others in this way, but it's day four of broken A/C with temperature climbing back up to the mid-nineties, so I'm too groggy to write something thoughtful. Lol!

So yes, it's a vampire animoo. Despite not being too hot for the whole vampire thing, I rather enjoyed it and I enjoyed its gothic fantasy aesthetic. There's political intrigue abound and you get to discover some surprises about the vampires of this universe. Not all of them are bad peeps and they just want to live among the rest of the humans like fellow sentient beings. It's one of those, "let's find a common ground" kinda deals between blood suckers and their weaker, human cattle-parts (erm, counterparts).

The more I think about it the more parallels I find between this show and Trigun. The protagonist is much less annoying, thankfully.

Anyway, check it out!

Here is a few recommendations if your into super robot stuff or space

Genesis of Aquarion:this is a b it weird of the robot but it is a pretty interesting 2007 anime. pretty much a race of sub humans from 1200 years ago rises from the earth and declares war on humanity and harvest them. a military faction finds a weapon created by this race and uses highly trained pilots to pilot 3 fighters to merge into 3 different robot types. it feels like evanagalion (only not as much WTF)and getter robo. Fundimation uploaded all 26 episodes subbed and english dub on youtube if you want to watch them.

Strain: Strategic Armored Infantry: This one reminds me a bit of zone of the enders in term of mecha designs. STRAIN is a story of two factions at war with eachother. one uses drones and the other uses mecha known as STRAINs controlled by a pilot and a artificially created brain. it is 13 episodes long and I enjoyed it. I recommend giving it a check plus this one is a recent anime made in 2006.

Getter Robo series: this series have various animes ones from the 70s all the way up to 2006 as of recent. getter robo is a super robot anime ( except shin getter robo) Which has various enemies, mecha, and other things. though I would recommend out of the series Getter Robo Armageddon (Change!! Getter Robo in japan) since that came out in 1998 and i really enjoy the story in that one more.

Gakuen Mokushiroku: High School Of The Dead

Synopsis:

The world is over taken with a very deadly disease that turns humans into zombies. In Japan, several students of Fujimi High School, and the school nurse, band together to survive the present apocalypse. The story follows Takashi Komuro, one of the students who survived in the initial outbreak.

I haven't really watched it so I don't know if it's good or not. It looks like Japanese Animoo meets Left 4 Dead. So, I find that lulzy, having such a thing take place in a Japanese High School and all. Didn't see that coming. No sir.

You can watch it at Animeseason.com