Clicky

Aryte

Base Commanding and You

'Ello lads!

And .. ladettes?

Anywho: something to pick your brains over. The following scenario seems to occur more often then not.

Mercury: "I say! I'd quite like a new OIC, the old one is AFK!"

Mercury sends a request to the twenty people on base . . . .

DECLARING DISCENS JOHN AS OIC!

Meanwhile Decurion Joe, Optio Manuel, and Legates Sam are sitting in the base sipping mai-tais.

It is preferable, under every circumstance, that the highest possible rank holds base command. It's a serious job! I understand most folks are busy-- when you get rank (me included) you avoid OIC because it's like GHfdssfds MORE TO DO AHHH~

Solution! Take OIC, appoint an SOG to handle the busy work. The moment a problem arises: you're in command and can take care of it.

Although Discense John is a badass for stepping up, Decurion Joe, Optio Manuel, and Legates Sam need to be holding down the fort so Discens John doesn't get reamed for making a mistake.

Thank you.

I like what your saying, although i think if you do it when your a lower rank you tend to get more experience in commanding positions, and learn through mistakes on what your doing. I am only E-3 and have had OIC loads of times now, and even though im low rank i don't make many mistakes with it anymore, whereas if a E-5 did it for the first time once he got that rank and screwed up, it looks a lot worse and is probably more embarrassing. Also with SOG your contantly having to get approval from the OIC to do anything, so if they are OIC and gone AFK, your kind of screwed. So i think being OIC at a lower rank, although it may land you in rough spots, is a great way of earning command experience for when you reach higher ranks, rather than getting high up and screwing up with OIC, which looks worse as higher ranks are seen as role models.

Following a chain of command and making sure officers are involved with defenses provides a number of advantages to defense and base management. Officers are well equipped, though often busy, to handle procedural issues, drama, etc. This is not to say NCOs and other personnel are not, but it's part of the expectations and system, that officers are front line organizers and base managers.

I often will hear people ask for volunteers to take this position. This is absolutely the wrong way to handle it.

Finding a replacement for the position should begin by looking at who is on base and sorting the list of people by highest rank to lowest rank. You go down the list from there, see if they can take the position for 30 minutes, and if they can't, move to the next person in the line.

Officers > Praetorians > NCOs

Officers and other people of higher rank are often busy with other matters, this is true and it has been addressed above and in other documents in the past. Therefore, when you advertise over coms or over ventrilo for a replacement, you are not going to get their attention. I often find myself in another channel in ventrilo when the advertisement is made and I should have been asked before an E-3 took it instead.

I don't think E-3 through E-1 is a valid option at all. I would check to find people off base who can take the reigns for a while first. Why? As it has been said, they are new to the group despite what their previous experiences may be. They may have been completely qualified as a Merczateer or as an Alliance Navy member to take this position of command, but in the Ordo they are new and they have much to learn still. This is why we don't have an Enlisted In Command position, it's NCOIC/OIC and SoG.

I have also seen people simply hit transfer and leave or others suggest that they do so. Big mistake, folks, that's not how you handle it. If you knew that something may come up to distract you and you would have to leave immediately, you should have assigned an SoG (who could have taken up NCOIC/OIC after you left) or you shouldn't take the position.

I know that from this point forward, I am going to make better use of the SoG when I am in command of the base. I will also make sure they are aware of what their authority is in that position if I don't respond quick enough to a request of theirs. It'd be good practice if everyone does the same, and also heeds Trevor's article about the position as well: http://forums.ordoim...he-oic-and-sog/

*** as an addendum that I forgot to mention, the NCOIC/OIC should also be aware of who enters the base, so if someone of higher rank than yourself shows up, you should ask them as soon as they are settled in whether they wish to take the position. The major exclusion is Aryte, of course, he'll make it known whether he wishes to assume that role or not.

Edited by Nrom Normandy

I don't think E-3 through E-1 is a valid option at all. I would check to find people off base who can take the reigns for a while first. Why? As it has been said, they are new to the group despite what their previous experiences may be. They may have been completely qualified as a Merczateer or as an Alliance Navy member to take this position of command, but in the Ordo they are new and they have much to learn still. This is why we don't have an Enlisted In Command position, it's NCOIC/OIC and SoG.

Im E-3 and have been in the Ordo nearly 2 months now, i know how things run pretty well. I have had OIC quite a few times now and have never made any big mistakes, so i dont think theirs much of an issue with E-3's doing it. E-1 to E-2 maybe so as them ranks are normally earned very fast and the member is usally very inexperienced. But a a quote from the handbook:

[E-3] Sesquiplicarius [Equivalent to: Corporal]

- Maintains limited authority, based upon their assignment and situation.

I think E-3's should be allowed OIC as they are fairly experienced members, but anyone lower i think is to low for OIC.

I think E-3's should be allowed OIC as they are fairly experienced members, but anyone lower i think is to low for OIC.

With all due respect, I disagree. The average fresh E-3 is hardly equipped and experienced to handle officer in command of defense. I am an exception and you might be too, but when faced with a situation that isn't an everyday occurence (say a griefer), it's much more likely that a low-level enlisted may not handle the situation correctly -- and that can lead to some disasters.

All very valid points. Officers should be taking command when able.

But keep in mind, when able.

Please don't walk up to an officer, or chime in over comms and say "Hey, Triplicarius John! Why arent you OIC?" That's massively disrespectful. In most cases, if an officer isn't in command, it's because they know they would not be able to adequately hold the position. If you think an officer may be unaware that a Squigglysaurus is the OIC, send them an Instant Message asking if they could take it.

Another point I'd like to bring up is, if Sesquiplicarius Joe is NCOIC, and Decurion Sam is active enough to criticize, then Decurion Sam is also active enough to BE the NCOIC, and as well he should.

Edited by Trinity Heckroth