Clicky

Tsume Xiao

The Assault Pack Needs Your Help!

Assault Pack Items  

31 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of stuff should the assault pack have?

• Specialty Explosives (Mines, Special C4, Etc. Explain Idea In Post)
    • Some Kind of CQB Thing (Explain Idea In Post)
    • Ability Enhancer (Obviously Boost Pack Has The Roll. Explain Idea In Post)
    • I Have My Own Ideas! I Posted Them Below!

Ok, for those who haven't been paying attention in meetings or other types of things, there is a current project for three specialty backpacks in the works. Two of them are going as planned, but one of them, the Assault Pack, had it's functionality moved to the Boost Pack. While this originally made me :/ because the backpacks are all designed to match out armor, BDU, and Uniforms, the Boost Pack model matches the Jetpack, so its all cool.

However...

Now we have a beautiful backpack model without anything to call its own. I cant decide on anything in particular, especially not with school work building up, and other scripting for when I have some breaks. That's where you come in. I want you to

POST YOUR IDEAS

on what the assault pack should have in it. I provided the poll to see whats most popular, but I really want to see you guys

POST YOUR IDEAS

For reference, here is what the other backpacks have.

---Engineering Backpack---

-Armored Turrets: Builds a sit based turret. 3 Types. Anti-Aircraft. Artillery. Gatling.

-Minefield: Builds a spread of mines. Proximity based. Collision triggered. ***I personally think mines should be moved to the Assault Pack if the Assault Pack goes for specialty explosives***

-Barbed Wire: Builds a barbed wire unit. Kills on contact. Integrated HP system allows enemy to destroy.

-Tank Teeth: Builds a set of tank teeth to stop tanks and other ground vehicles. Integrated HP system allows enemy to destroy.

-Heavy Barricade: Builds a reinforced chunk of cover. Like regular barricade but larger and with a stronger bullet-stopping system. Integrated HP system allows enemy to destroy.

-Entrenching Tool (Aka Fancy Shovel): All purpose item. Attaches to right hand. Functions as melee weapon. Repairs HP systems on all previous items and tanks.

---Communication Backpack---

-Laser Designator: Integrated laser designation system for Brimstone AT-AGM's fired from the Thanatos. Allows user to designate missiles for Thanatos pilots.

-MQ-1B Predator Air Strike: Fires a AGM-114 Hellfire missile down at target. Known as the "Predator Missile" because of its launch platform.

-M777 Artillery Barrage: Signals for seven-shell bombardment to target area from remotely located M777 155mm Howitzers.

The Communications backpack is finished, so removing features from it to put in the assault pack is not an option. The only features I could see being removed for the assault pack are the mines, and that would be only one at a time in the assault pack, rather than a whole field.

So please, provide your input below so the Assault Pack can get finished and we can have these epic models to go with our armor. :3

TL;DR

Assault Pack Needs Stuff.

POST YOUR IDEAS

And seriously, read the fucking post...

*Edit* I am suggesting to Aryte that the backpack unlocks also include a non-scripted variant for wear as well. The final say is up to him.

Edited by Tsume Xiao

Move the minefield option in the Assault pack and add several options for explosives, such as destroyable or non-destroyable single thrown/place land mines (cluster or "minefield"), C4 (Different varieties as well? Don't know what to put for them), and possibly working wall or laser trip-mines.

Basically make the Assault pack a "Delay the enemy and make it a bitch to get somewhere" pack. We have to think about what we will do if explosives, such as C4 and mines, are not allowed in the simulator we are attacking. . . What will/can we put in place of the explosives to continue the "delay" role?

Edited by Zerowinged Vasiliev

I like both the idea of CQB Thing and special Explosive, Personally it doesnt matter to me since I just plan on wearing it as a regular decorative backpack anyway.

My suggestion for the backpack may sound a bit silly, but what my idea is, Is make the backpack act as a melee weapon (I'll explain so dont go Lolwut just yet), Where I'm getting this from is the old Merczateer guns, When they were active, the melee would be a rifle butt, bayonet stab, etc. But when they were slung. they could still defend themselves because the weapons could still melee, but instead they would punch, kick, etc. My idea is to simply have the backpack contain melee animations and such so that people can be retarded Kung fu assassins in the event they have their weapon holstered or not attached at all.

And Z-Wing's ideas are good too, I could think of all sorts of different explosive varieties but Im not sure many of them would make it past the theory stage.

To end all, whatever is decided, is the Assault pack still going to be released as a regular unscripted backpack aswell? I seem to remember Aryte or yourself saying that

Ability enhancer as in "Sprint". Basically a small force push that pushes you for about 5-10 seconds. This push shouldn't be retardly fast as our old port forwards but fast enough to run from one cover to another while still being able to fire a few shots. Those shots are obviously inaccurate since your moving fast. Just like what BFBC2 and Cod has.

Ability enhancer as in "Sprint". Basically a small force push that pushes you for about 5-10 seconds. This push shouldn't be retardly fast as our old port forwards but fast enough to run from one cover to another while still being able to fire a few shots. Those shots are obviously inaccurate since your moving fast. Just like what BFBC2 and Cod has.

Wouldnt be able to change weapon accuracy with that unless you rescripted the weapons themselves

I like the assault backpack idea with mines and stuff. I think if we included mines, C4 with a bigger blast radius which takes some time to set up but can lay multiple packs, maybe some anti-tank devices, maybe some sort of thing which could transfer into a small turret, e.g. if you got to the top of a big hill or roof, a deployable turret which sprays faster than normaly bullets. I think if we made it into an assault backpack idea rather than an explosive backpack idea, it would allow more flexibility with items. obviously things like this should be asked for and only allowed to be deployed when given authorisation.

My concern is similarity to that of the dodge-roll/boostp pack. However, I do see how you could do this.

Like a 10 second speed boost that is more a constant, slight speed increase rather than a sudden jolt like the dodge roll?

It could be done, but it would have to be done carefully so people didn't think it was a large dodge roll.

...a deployable turret which sprays faster than normaly bullets....

Deployable turrets are in the Engineering pack. Anything that you set-up and control or has any sort of "smart" system would fit better with the engineering pack. :o

I think if we made it into an assault backpack idea rather than an explosive backpack idea,

Well, Aside from fancier explosives, what would you want to see? That's why we are asking.

re-introduce the bouncing betty mine? Make a "Nail bomb" that shoots small kill prims in random directions? Small Cluster bomb?

The old bounding mine was simply a proximity mine that did a fancy movement before it exploded. c.c

MORE OPINIONS AND IDEA PLEASE

My concern is similarity to that of the dodge-roll/boostp pack. However, I do see how you could do this.

Like a 10 second speed boost that is more a constant, slight speed increase rather than a sudden jolt like the dodge roll?

It could be done, but it would have to be done carefully so people didn't think it was a large dodge roll.

Deployable turrets are in the Engineering pack. Anything that you set-up and control or has any sort of "smart" system would fit better with the engineering pack. :o

Well, Aside from fancier explosives, what would you want to see? That's why we are asking.

The old bounding mine was simply a proximity mine that did a fancy movement before it exploded. c.c

MORE OPINIONS AND IDEA PLEASE

I would suggest a type of "Heavy Infantry"pack. Types of grenades maybe, or a heavy Grenadier Rifle with an underslung launcher. Maybe some dirt-basic Rocket Launchers as well, like an AT-4. Just to make it into a Standard Heavy Assault Role.

My ideas are... well:

- Mines from the Engie pack.

- "Hopwire" Grenade - Cut weapon from HL2, grenade which sprung into the air prior to detonation. Basically a bouncing betty in grenade form, made for clearing rooms.

- Incendiary Grenade - Area of denial weapon, toss it in a chokepoint or medic point, watch the delayed-TPers TP into a sea of flame.

Right, i'm just going to come right out and say it... but an added C4 backpack would ruin the point of Insidiae's special HUD. So i'd suggest against putting that into a backpack. Honestly, i'd try to avoid added explosives in a backpack as it is. I still maintain that it should be the equivilent of a jump pack. Not the dodgeroller, as that launches you forward, but like a jump enhancer that will give you an extra boost on a jump. For example, rather than jumping 2m you jump 10m every time you tap page up or the e key twice or something. This would allow us to get that little bit of an extra jump but not enough to get banned everywhere. Thus allowing us to jump walls like usual. While I understand everyone thinking it is the same as the boost pack, it is quite different since this would be constructed to move solely upwards. Also since it would only be enhancing the jump rather than causing flight, it wouldn't be banned for moving forwards as well as, and mainly upwards.

Right, i'm just going to come right out and say it... but an added C4 backpack would ruin the point of Insidiae's special HUD.

Nonsense. :o

1 specialized C4 pack =/= ability to place 3 detonation packs at once.

Furthermore: Insidae HUD (which is broken by the way and needs fixing) is not something anyone can unlock. It is a special piece of gear that only insidae members have access too. The Insidae HUD does not cost you any unlock points, but does require alpha squad membership.

Also, the Assault backpack would not revolve solely on C4. It would have other things as well (if we choose to go that route).

Thinking about it, might be most useful as an 'expanded grenades/charges' pack. Add some more exotic grenades, like the aforementioned incendiary, MIRV, minicluster or bouncing betty grenades. Could also give it a few democharge options, like timed and tripwire.

Assault. If you're assaulting, you're not going to waste time trying to deploy a bloody minefield, or dallying around with a hundred and one explosive options. You're going to want options the contribute to your ability and the ability of your team-mates, to be aggressive in your engagement of enemy forces. You need something that's fast, very useful, and not going to require a lot of time to set up.

Thus, three of these four features are easily set to a hotkey, with options that can be selected prior to your

Some sort of speed enhancement "sprint" that isn't a dodge roll is a good start. Being able to charge and reach a position is rather useful and helpful in a strong offensive action.

I was thinking also possible a specialized breaching charge, that would remain in place and allow other people to follow you through the same "hole", as you breach an enemy bunker or some such. That way, you have one charge, for a team of other people. This means lest time trying to coordinate a breach, etc.

The third option that comes to mind, is to replace your normal grenade throw with a three grenade rapid fire sort of spread deal. It'd have a longer cool down between uses than our normal grenade through, but it'd let you throw three grenades in rapid succession (of the same type) at a longer distance. This would be extremely useful for anyone who routinely engages in hard assaults on well defended enemy positions.

For the final option, I'd recommend being able to set up marker smoke or the similar to "tag" captured locations or targets. Though this may seem odd, communications going "please target the bunker at the green smoke" is easier than giving a detailed explanation and location of an enemy defensive hardpoint. Especially if one is assaulting, being able to tag "hardened" targets that you can't take alone, lest you lose your momentum, is a very, very good idea, in my mind.

Anything else, especially mines, detpacks, etc, are better suited with other packs and load outs.

Really anything that makes for a dynamic attack style is preferred.

1. I really like the idea of the multi-use door breach, tho I think just sitting there forever may be a little overkill. Perhaps 5-6 use would be nice.
  2. The napalm grenade was nice, it can help funnel or create a pinch point,
  3. Landmines seem a bit too defensive, tho I agree there should be some sort of anti-armor device
  4. Perhaps a grenade that is designed to bounce off walls a few times before exploding? helps get around corners or farther into enemy lines/bunkers
  5. small fuel-air bomb grenade? would allow for larger explosives

and tho i feel tank mines are too defensive, I feel that the idea of claymores or trip-wire mines should be explored, as when you are assaulting its essential to cover yourself from multiple directions, especially your flank when you are entering structures.

Hmm. I'm having a hard time coming up with ideas, and I'm the guy who was always wanting more gear...

I'm thinking a command enabler of some sort. Something that'll let you plonk out visual aids to help attackers coordinate. Plonk out a red flag and declare it means "reassemble here" and launch some purple smoke that means "focus assault here" or something.

Not sure if that's even needed, though.

I say... Something for the schola guys maybe? Do they have some equipment they always need? Put that in there. Like a command to give someone a red or blue flag when needed, or spawns a teleport to the hub that schola guys can use. Maybe even stuff like obstacle courses or whatever?

Hmm. I'm having a hard time coming up with ideas, and I'm the guy who was always wanting more gear...

I'm thinking a command enabler of some sort. Something that'll let you plonk out visual aids to help attackers coordinate. Plonk out a red flag and declare it means "reassemble here" and launch some purple smoke that means "focus assault here" or something.

Not sure if that's even needed, though.

I had issues telling a raid team where the generators were in a raid, this is needed. . .

Some sort of marker, yes.

...why and HOW would a person trying to assault a position, utilize a fuel-air bomb? We're not capable of hauling around bloody MOABs on our backs. Not even myself. A hand grenade that utilizes something like that seems like overkill and we'd never be allowed to use it.

Tripwires and booby-traps are not offensive devices. They do allow you to narrow an enemy's viable approaches to a position, but setting them up and the like is time consuming, and is better left to someone utilizing an engineer pack.

Our grenades can already bounce around corners and the like. Simply set the timers. I almost exclusively utilize 5 second timed grenades, to great effect.

Assaults are aggressive. Not passive. You'll not be sitting around waiting for enemies to pop around a corner so you can pick them off, or to try to flank your position. You're attacking, hard, fast, relentlessly in order to dislodge or break an enemy defensive effort, or a support emplacement. Mines, tripwires, etc, should be left to engineers. AT stuff might be useful, but we already have specific, AT weaponry. More is not really needed at this time.