Clicky

Jayce Iredell

Computer Support: Questions Help & More

I had some BSOD issues a few years ago I couldn't figure out, my hardware steps consisted of borrowing a few pieces of equipment or throwing in old pieces from previous computers to isolate the issue.

Memory (switched them around, took some out, put em in one at a time, tried new ones and so on)

Video Card (just switched to the onboard one and pulled the card, also tried an old card I had)

Messed with just about everything plugged in, unplugged, tested, plugged in one at a time, tested, and so on

CPU (I was unable to test this as I did not have extra one of the same type, after a few weeks I just went out and purchased a CPU & Board combo)

Board (Replaced with CPU)

All in all I figured it was my motherboard maybe my proccessor, but I highly suspect it was my board, not because it was an ASUS, though I would love to have more to stick it to them, but because minor issues continued until I replaced just about every card and stick I had. Your board can easily screw up all your other equipment threw even the smallest issues.

If you have data you want to save, cheapest way is to pull your hard drive, go grab an external kit for $20 and copy the information you want to a DVD or another drive.. or several drives, however you like to do it. I'm personally a data junkie (not to imply it's junk, or disorganized >:| ) and have two copies of all my irreplaceable stuff in two different locations.

First things though, Memory... Easy to replace (or borrow), easy to test and determine if it's the issue.

Edited by Xoza Tyron

I had some BSOD issues a few years ago I couldn't figure out, my hardware steps consisted of borrowing a few pieces of equipment or throwing in old pieces from previous computers to isolate the issue.

Memory (switched them around, took some out, put em in one at a time, tried new ones and so on)

Video Card (just switched to the onboard one and pulled the card, also tried an old card I had)

Messed with just about everything plugged in, unplugged, tested, plugged in one at a time, tested, and so on

CPU (I was unable to test this as I did not have extra one of the same type, after a few weeks I just went out and purchased a CPU & Board combo)

Board (Replaced with CPU)

All in all I figured it was my motherboard maybe my proccessor, but I highly suspect it was my board, not because it was an ASUS, though I would love to have more to stick it to them, but because minor issues continued until I replaced just about every card and stick I had. Your board can easily screw up all your other equipment threw even the smallest issues.

If you have data you want to save, cheapest way is to pull your hard drive, go grab an external kit for $20 and copy the information you want to a DVD or another drive.. or several drives, however you like to do it. I'm personally a data junkie (not to imply it's junk, or disorganized >:| ) and have two copies of all my irreplaceable stuff in two different locations.

First things though, Memory... Easy to replace (or borrow), easy to test and determine if it's the issue.

The issue I have is apparently specific to Gigabyte motherboards, they added this system where it backs up the bios onto a file on the root hard drive which would allow for the bios to reboot itself without issue, problem is the computer black screens before it even completes this stage, which from what I've read around the internet is a very common issue with GA motherboards (Which GA advertise is one of their most unique and best features), false advertisement imo, hopefully I can use that to my advantage to grab a new, temp, board.

Try starting it without the battery, or if there's a jumper, set it to reset mode and start it. Can you get into the BIOS settings at all? Tried unplugging all the drives? Maybe it will get somewhere if there's no where to put the BIOS image?

Edited by Xoza Tyron

Try starting it without the battery, or if there's a jumper, set it to reset mode and start it. Can you get into the BIOS settings at all? Tried unplugging all the drives? Maybe it will get somewhere if there's no where to put the BIOS image?

Can you start it without the battery? I always thought that would cause more problems then anything.

Can you start it without the battery? I always thought that would cause more problems then anything.

Think of it like an alarm clock.. When theres no battery, it's fine if it's plugged in. But if it loses power it resets to it's default. It just resets the bios settings is all. Perfectly fine as long as you don't /need/ to have bios settings a specific way

So my latest mouse is on the way out. It has begun to start randomly locking up, then my computer makes the "device connected" sound and it starts working again.

So here is why I am looking for help.

This mouse has been used to the point where they feet have essentially been ground down to be flush with the body. My mouse before this, a Microsoft Comfort 3000, was used to the point that the plastic finish began wearing off and buttons stopped working. I am not abusive to my mice, they just get used a lot.

I need to know what mice can take this kind of use and not be dead in about 6 months. For those of you who don't remember my "new" keyboard, after my Mitsumi of 12 years had an encounter with a defective glass attempting to hold water, I replaced it with an IBM Model M. I like things that are built like tanks and made to last.

Here are the criteria that I'd nee in a mouse...

-Wired

-USB

-Durable

-3 Button minimum (I don't need/want 8000 buttons though)

-Full-sized

A while back I was looking at some of these...

Microsoft Sidewinder Series

Cyborg R.A.T. Series

Some of the more simple Razers?

Thoughts?

My Razer Diamondback Gen 1 (They're at Gen 2 or 3 now) lasted me a solid 2 to 2.5 years without any faults whatsoever. I dragged that thing down to the bare bones, wore the paint off, and even that rubberized finish they used to put on the sides had been melted into firm plastic from all of the abuse it took. It was like $60-70 when I bought it.

Finally had to get rid of it around October. The teeth that worked the tiny gear for the Mousewheel finally broke off and left me with a spinning disc embedded into my mouse. My only complaint was that it felt a little small for the amount of buttons it had (It had 8.) but then again I have gargantuan Man-Hands for my size.

Guest Afevis

Nothing Razer, things break down like a mofo (might just be my comp). Would recommend something hardmetal.

My Deathadder's been working fine for a year now :x