Clicky

Jayce Iredell

Computer Support: Questions Help & More

Lots of what people use in this thread and some opinions, you'll just have to price match it.

I shop at NewEgg most of the time, but if you don't mind waiting for parts (if you're in the west) and a chance they'll have to resend because it's broken or something, TigerDirect can get pretty unbeatable.

My current desktop is literally the continued upgrade of my very first computer... I still have files from 7th grade on it.. XD. I only find myself upgrading things as I need them, or as I have trouble, probably one piece every 4-6 months or so... It's getting to be less often now days though, because there really isn't much a lot of your every day computers can't handle on a pretty decent level...

Edited by Xoza Tyron

Alright. Would you mostly use it for leisure such as games, movies, browsing with 200 tabs open whilst watching a movie and playing two games at once; Or will you also use it for work with some programs that can become heavy depending on the preferences like design, rendering, filtering and whatnot?

Mmmm I'm getting an average price of about 1k, do you have any equipment already that you can use to lower the price? The very first full purchase will always be pretty high in price, but after that you shouldn't ever have to pay much more than $500 for replacement parts throughout the years. Cheapest one I could put together with some important increases, but still... cheap...

Edited by Xoza Tyron

If I were to completely rebuild my computer today... This is probably what I'd go for... Of course I have several things from it already, but that's just what I'd aim for. There are a few things I'd upgrade, but probably wont for another year or so, just because I don't really 'need' to upgrade.

When it comes to upgrading equipment, my best friend would say "Replace it or upgrade it when it breaks, or upgrade it only when you can double the capability."

Any particular reason for a wired keyboard?

I've never gone without wired equipment. I've actually never owned a full wireless keyboard, I do have a small wireless Bluetooth presentation one, I add as an extension for whatever i need it for. Wired also has better response time. The G700 is also wired, with a wireless/rechargeable option, hate having to buy batteries... or rely on them for consistency.

I have only played with it for a bit, but I was not a fan at all. Functionally I dont think its comparable to vista (which was easy to use, but failed with your resources and stability) because from my limited experience it ran well but the new "home" instead of desktop is the most terrible thing in the world.

I have only played with it for a bit, but I was not a fan at all. Functionally I dont think its comparable to vista (which was easy to use, but failed with your resources and stability) because from my limited experience it ran well but the new "home" instead of desktop is the most terrible thing in the world.

Supposedly though it's more now just a splash screen and you can click a tile to go to the desktop now...

but the new "home" instead of desktop is the most terrible thing in the world.

That isn't your desktop, only a start menu.

Have it, love it. It takes like two seconds to figure out the new start menu, and folks don't realize that you can remove and place shit on it at will (most think it'll display ALL OF YOUR SHIT ON THE ONE PAGE, it doesn't unless your a derp and let it happen/freak out and forget about this awesome new thing where you can RIGHT CLICK -> DELETE)

Might as well upgrade while there are promotions for it, such as the free media center app for pro and shit.

You will see performance gains over 7.

So far the only compatibility issue I've run into so far was with C&C Tiberian Sun where there was a bug related to the desktop composition being a bitch since it's a 16 bit app from 1999 - it took me a whole four seconds to get around it though... Soooo, it's pretty much solid.

I own Windows 8. I also was in the consumer review stage. Microsoft really did work very hard to make applications that were on Windows 7 work the same with Windows 8. During the consumer review, it was a bit hard to get things working right. However, given time, I came back to the OS on release. I had very, very few issues with compatibility or use. The new start menu? It's overly infamous. Most of the time, you do not even interact with it; if you /really/ don't want to interact with it, shortcuts+explorer+folders will work fine. That said, if you do use the Start Menu, simply type the program in that you want to run; it doesn't take forever to search for things (like Windows XP, Vista, 7) and pops things up pretty fast.

I have to say, though, there are issues with joysticks/gamepads and Planetside 2. If you don't use either or those, it's fine.

Overall, the OS is great. People who whine and cry about the start menu never gave the OS a chance; never explored the other options. The OS makes much better use of RAM, at least in my exprience.

My only true grief (and it is of varying importance) is the down-loader Microsoft supplies to download Windows 8. The down-loader only downloads one of either 32 bit or 64 bit OSes, depending on what you currently have on your computer.

I had a terrible time finding a 64-bit ISO torrent (I eventually just went to Pirate Bay -- I checked the checksums of the files and things were A-OK, exactly the same as a direct-download.)