Clicky

Jayce Iredell

Computer Support: Questions Help & More

Around 7am my time this morning Avast informed me I had an infection and my laptop started to act strabgely. it seems to lock up, or only allow certain functions to run. I did a boot scan and that removed two trojan horses, but avast itself has 'qauaratined' other files. They are located in my drivers folder in win32. I have attempted to delete themusing avast, but my laptop has just locked up.

I knew this was coming, and I hate that its happend, but at this point I am probably not going to be around at all for the foreseeable future. It sucks to say that, but I really don't know what else to do, I'm broke, I can't seem to findwork, hell not even pouring piss out of a boot.

Is there anything ANYONE can do to help? Suggestions or advice to repair this problem?

If not then I'll see you guys around, I'll check back using my folks pc to see if you guys can come up with anything.

okay wow ...just wow lol why is it everyone just reformats when something happens, there is actually a really quick way to do a virus cleanup and it uses all freely available tools @-@ but then again I guess if there wasn't anything important on the computers reformatting is an easy fix, unless you don't have a 2nd computer to grab drivers ;P but most get lucky and it'll find the LAN drivers in the installation disc.

Takes me 30 minutes to reformat.

well yeah

minus backups, quick hdd format, quick xp disc (if you don't have one haha) windows installation (states it takes approx 39 minutes complete but with a half decent speed computer can be cut in 1/2) and drivers. Done. Usually if you ran updates you're chunking on massive times unless you download the files manually and store them for future usage.

Edited by Genesis Ronmark

So yeah here is an update with bad news:

Lastnight the last thing I did before this began was update to SP3 for xp, then after rebooting my laptop randomly SHUTS OFF.

I figured hey its overheated so maybe a break will do, that hasn't solved it, it shuts off randomly now not a few minutes after start up. Sometimes only a few seconds after turning the power on.

Sighs, guess I am offline again till I can find a solution.

ive had about 10 times virusses on mah pc, i'm known for it here, haha. i just give my pc to my uncle he fixes it for free and get it back allright :O lol

People used to do that to me too .. till i started asking money for it .. then it stopped.

okay wow ...just wow lol why is it everyone just reformats when something happens, there is actually a really quick way to do a virus cleanup and it uses all freely available tools @-@ but then again I guess if there wasn't anything important on the computers reformatting is an easy fix, unless you don't have a 2nd computer to grab drivers ;P but most get lucky and it'll find the LAN drivers in the installation disc.

Todays 'viruses' are usually more like worms and install an array of custom mallware all over the place after they disable the most common virus scanners..

As long as it doesn't install itself into the BIOS or turn your pc into a virtual one where the virus will actually run outside of windows and be totally undetectable for anything, a format is the best and safest way to go.

i got my system wiped few months ago by a trojaner wich was also repalced parts i nwindows and spreads out lil parts i nevery programm i use and lowed it down to 60 % eve nafter i got ride of the trojaner the damage he levt was such high that my pc was slowed down i formated the machien and replaced it with XP prof corp edition 64 bit stabile and perfect working and i recommand it

I'm sticking to SP2, since i've been hearing mixed and bad reviews about SP3. And SP2 hasn't been much of a problem for me at all. Most modern games can still be run on SP2, so i'll only upgrade when i have to.

But yeah, Windows XP disks are SO easy to torrent now. It's mostly just finding a product key and then having to ignore the Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications that appear when Windows boots. Which even then, there's a hack on the net that turns that off as well.

Personally, for viruses, i use AVG Free. Runs a scan for me every day at 10:00 AM and updates itself either daily or weekly to keep up with Virus evolution.

Also, with booting to redo windows, go into the CMOS settings and set it to where your PC boots to your CD / DVD ROM drive, then open the drive, shut down, insert CD, then restart (And prolly close the drive too, but mine's a desktop so it'll do that automatically). It'll instead read the bootup sequence from the CD, instead of your virused Hard Drive.

Yadda yadda.

Also, you can install drivers from the same PC as well. Just run your system in Safe Mode (With Networking, just in case), and go onto the internet and download 'em.

I had to learn all of this myself when i moved to Colorado, since my brother stayed in Florida and paying buku bucks to ship a PC halfway across the US was a bit much. Also, If UPS notices something rattle in the box, they automatically claim the right to use your package as a basketball.

My PC has some decent battle scars from this. My brother recieved my box one time and had to bang out dents in the case with a Hammer.

I wouldn't reccomend using anything but XP on a low-spec computer. Any less than 3GB of ram and you're probably not going to have great performance.

The anti-virus Cyph linked is one I've used in the past too with great results.

Failing that I usually just check the processes and symptoms on Google which usually provides steps for removing it from the registry.

I recently got a virus on my computer, which was this bad-boy here: Antivirus Soft

antivirus-soft.jpg

What it does is deny access to the internet, and it also stops all .exe that might or can remove the virus. My friend was over at the time so I borrowed his laptop and looked for a fix, which was relatively easy... at least some of it. As soon as my computer started, I went into run>msconfig and removed all the processes that were associated with the virus, (after that my computer worked like normal, but the virus was still on my computer), so then I ran BOTH malwarebytes and AVG9.0 but neither of them picked up the virus, so I deleted the infected files manually by going into run>regedit

It was a fun night, and my computer is back to normal. Turns out I had turned AVG off for some reason and forgot to turn it back on. :blank:

Desereck,

Three days ago I got the exact same virus. I used AVG anti-virus to scan and clear it, which worked, but left my Windows 7 crippled. I reinstalled Windows 7 x64 that same night, took 7 hours to get back up and running (but, might I add, was worth it). Good luck.