Clicky

Ron Bleac

A Bridge Too Far

bridgetoofarmovieposter.jpg

A BRIDGE TOO FAR

A Bridge Too Far is an epic war film released in 1977 based on the 1974 book "A Bridge Too Far," the film outlines the story of several characters on both the Axis and Allied side of Operation Market Garden, and tells the story of British and American paratroopers, contrasted against the defense operations of the German Wehrmacht at Arnhem. The film is based on true events, and is primarily a re-enactment than a work of fiction. How "real" the movie is up to the viewer himself, and I suggest anyone who watches this movie to research a good bit about how Market Garden basically went down. It's a story of not only heroism and bravery, but a story of chivalry as well. German officers, unlike in many other movies, are portrayed as the person they were. It's a ball bustingly human story about the men who fought at Arnhem and elsewhere during the operation, and it also blatantly exposes the inadequacies of the Allied preparation before and during Market Garden. The movie was basically shunned in the US and the UK due to exactly that. However, some years later, it was recognized as one of the greatest classics of that time period, and I do agree. It's a great movie, and everyone should watch it. Even if some things may be considered inaccurate, I find it a great portrayal of not only the operation itself and the challenges related to it, but it is also an extremely good portrayal of the courageous and tenacious resistance German forces put up even if they were without support in many places. Fact of the matter was, they had to. And they did, quite well in fact! Market Garden was a massive failure for Allied forces, and it's indeed portrayed as that. One of the most impressive facts about the production of the movie is that none of the airborne scenes are CGI or special effects, most, if not all the planes and paradrops in the movie were organized by active-duty British paratroopers. It's also astonishingly well equipped with equipment and armor from the time period.

A couple of selected clips to catch your interest.

British paratroopers land around Arnhem.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3mhUKm3JZM&feature=related

The first German attack on British held Arnhem Bridge.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiiUJ4sDuX0&feature=related

The German Wehrmacht at Arnhem ask British paratroopers to consider surrender.

[media

]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Li65P_3lvM&feature=related

Best clips I could find without exposing too much of the story!

I recommend you pick the movie up and watch it. It's quite long and enjoyable, so do grab a good while before you begin. You will enjoy it, promise.