Clicky

Tsume Xiao

Colt... Seriously? This is your SCAR/HK416 Response?

Partially correct: Previous attempts at using 'field magazines' with such prototypes as the SR-47 (using the same gas system as every other armalite) has forgone the notion that AK's from different countries are not built to the same speciifcations. In current conditions, for instance, the Iraqi fielded Tabuk definitely contains no Russian parts, and no other AK magazine would necessarily fit the same pattern rifle; whether by fitment in the mag-well, a mag seating properly, or being able to cycle the next round due to magazine height. At best, being able to swap the upper and subsequent mag-well for special cases would simply provide the ability to chamber a different cartridge, magazines entirely dependent upon the user.

Of course, that isn't really that big of a deal considering what can be done with AR upper receivers in the world. A wide array of munitions also fit relatively well through the same mag-well.

Yep. Every review or detail i've read about some of the AK variants say that SOME can use the original AK magazines with some minor work to the mag well. (The Romanian SAR1 and SAR2 can adapt to standard AK47 / AK74 mags with some minor machinework, but the SAR3 is tough due to using 5.56 instead of the usual 7.62x39 or 5.45 that the others use.) Also there have been some issues when purchasing said rifles from other countries because the magazines they come with are either utter pieces of shit, or they aren't the right mags. (I can attest to this, my old SAR3 came stock with those cheesy plastic AK mags that are colored to match the wood parts, and they'd break and jam up like no tomorrow. We eventually threw them away and spent the extra cash for the traditional steel ones.)

I'm talking specifically Romanian models here though, since (IMO) these have shown to be the most "True to Original" AK models i've seen out there that can be purchased in a Gun Shop.

I remember seeing this video on Youtube (Probably removed...) where this guy went into the mountains of Afghanistan to this immense market of weapons. It was basically a mountainside Black Market of firearms. And i actually saw the guy step into a shop, and there was a man at an Old-fashioned Forge and Anvil, smithing AK47 parts by hand. (Not riveting or tiny stuff, i mean he was forging side-plates out of a block of steel.) So i can understand how some of the Mid-eastern stuff wouldn't fit standard AK mags, being that some of the gear floating out there could be literally HAND-MADE.

Most Kalashnikov and AK Variant magazines for 5.45 are compatible with each other's weapons because the Magazines are pretty much identical from weapon to weapon. Only the color/material varies

Traditional AK-47 / AKM Magazine

akm_mag.jpg

AK-74 Magazines in 3 generations

5.45_AK_magazines.jpg

It's crap like this that is incompatible with most AK models.

mak47h20.jpg

Tapco_AK_Magazine.jpg

Basically any of these Tacticool Magazines that were made for the Knockoff American Clones of the weapon, a lot of Chinese Magazines are of uber shit quality and are often incompatible. And sometimes there are weapons that the magazine is entirley different shape, As seen in some AK "look alikes". Like the Czechoslovak VZ.58 Which is infact quite a bit larger. Or the Hungarian mag pictured above the tacticool one,

Most Kalashnikov and AK Variant magazines for 5.45 are compatible with each other's weapons because the Magazines are pretty much identical from weapon to weapon. Only the color/material varies

Traditional AK-47 / AKM Magazine

akm_mag.jpg

AK-74 Magazines in 3 generations

5.45_AK_magazines.jpg

It's crap like this that is incompatible with most AK models.

mak47h20.jpg

Tapco_AK_Magazine.jpg

Basically any of these Tacticool Magazines that were made for the Knockoff American Clones of the weapon, a lot of Chinese Magazines are of uber shit quality and are often incompatible. And sometimes there are weapons that the magazine is entirley different shape, As seen in some AK "look alikes". Like the Czechoslovak VZ.58 Which is infact quite a bit larger. Or the Hungarian mag pictured above the tacticool one,

Yeah, our Romanian SAR3 came with those wood-colored AK-74 mags, and as it turned out, they had massive feeding issues because they weren't the proper size. (That, and they were plastic and older than shit.)

Bakelite, actually, but definitely shit. No, there is no real compatibility between different countries of manufacture, regardless of the given weapon. In fact you're more likely to have compatible magazines between the various rifles using STANAG magazines (armalite and L85, among others) because at least they are mostly built to identical specifications 'across the pond'. AK-type rifles in the U.S. are mostly Romanian as far as I've seen due to availabilty and not being Chinese.

Well Guys, As I live in a country where the only people allowed to have anything bigger then a .38 is the cops (unless you happen to be a crim - which I am not) I find this thread very interesting..

Maybe I should try and talk myself into moving out of Australia and over the pond..

What does piss me off is when some idiot goes troppo and kills 13 people with (what where then) freely available firearms, they ban publicly held weapons. If some idiot decides to blow up an aircraft, why not ban aircraft..

Where I live, another human (who should be beaten with a large piece of construction machinery) plowed his car into a bus queue and killed seven including two children, and yet the motor car has not been banned.!!!

Why is it that those who are responsable with firearms, respect the law, respect everyone else and use firearms for mainly sport or relaxation, are the ones who miss out..?

Like understanding females, I believe that question is unanswerable..

Well Guys, As I live in a country where the only people allowed to have anything bigger then a .38 is the cops (unless you happen to be a crim - which I am not) I find this thread very interesting..

Maybe I should try and talk myself into moving out of Australia and over the pond..

What does piss me off is when some idiot goes troppo and kills 13 people with (what where then) freely available firearms, they ban publicly held weapons. If some idiot decides to blow up an aircraft, why not ban aircraft..

Where I live, another human (who should be beaten with a large piece of construction machinery) plowed his car into a bus queue and killed seven including two children, and yet the motor car has not been banned.!!!

Why is it that those who are responsable with firearms, respect the law, respect everyone else and use firearms for mainly sport or relaxation, are the ones who miss out..?

Like understanding females, I believe that question is unanswerable..

Maybe that's because Australia doesn't actually have all that much gun crime, and that the motor vehicle and airplane have extremely important uses outside of recreation or other fluff?

Seriously, that's pretty fucking stupid reasoning. Even considering the fact that firearms aren't actually that hard to aquire in Australia. All you have to do is get a licence which you can aquire in a few hours and a small fee, and you can pick up a manual action rifle pretty easily from a gun store. (And really, why would you want anything other than a bolt-action for target shooting?)

Maybe that's because Australia doesn't actually have all that much gun crime, and that the motor vehicle and airplane have extremely important uses outside of recreation or other fluff?

Seriously, that's pretty fucking stupid reasoning. Even considering the fact that firearms aren't actually that hard to aquire in Australia. All you have to do is get a licence which you can aquire in a few hours and a small fee, and you can pick up a manual action rifle pretty easily from a gun store. (And really, why would you want anything other than a bolt-action for target shooting?)

Maybe it is, but gun crime in this country is as rampant as ever, and getting worse !! No we may not have as much as the USA or other countries, but the fact remains that our gun laws only prevent the honest users from owning..

Getting a permit is no longer that easy and the cost can be huge. Now we have to join a registered gun club and attend for several weeks before we can even apply. Then you have the safety courses (which I believe are a good thing) a then the security checks, then you have to comply with Gun safes and installing extra security in the building the weapons are to be stored in etc etc etc.

All this costs money. Every time we deal with a government office you pay for it. The security check costs $340 AUD which is about the same in American dollars. My reasoning for sighting Cars and Aircraft was to show just how fixated governments can be. Why not create an environment that encouraged safe and legal use rather then simply making it so hard to attain a permit that most give up.. I dont play golf or build model train sets, I like to shoot and I drive Rally cars, and why would we in Australia only require bolt action weapons..?

Ever taken a shot at a Large Male Red Roo.? This is an animal that stands around 6ft to 8 ft tall. Is solid muscle and has the ability to tear a person in two, a good single shot from a bolt action may put it down, but usually it does not. We don't need full auto, but semi would be nice!!

Ever taken a shot at a Large Male Red Roo.? This is an animal that stands around 6ft to 8 ft tall. Is solid muscle and has the ability to tear a person in two, a good single shot from a bolt action may put it down, but usually it does not. We don't need full auto, but semi would be nice!!

Why are you shooting Kangaroo's. :<

On A side note, Lets try to keep this thread on topic.

The 6.5 grendel, along the same lines of the 6.8SPC are definitely great new cartridges that have every favorable aspect over the current 5.56 in use. Effective range, penetration, 'stopping power', and other factors are indicative of the science behind them. With regard to munitions, there has always been an evolution of different types deployed over the generations for various purposes. The problem of course is that they lack any sort of benchmark, or any means of comparison to other cartridges of similar size. Also across those many years, new manufacturing methods are developed, as well as new materials employed (or screwed with, as with the eco-friendly copper-only types). If I recall, the only noticeable difference with the two aforementioned cartridges are some minor range statistics, as well as the ballistics after striking an object to a minor extent.

If there was ever to be a new cartridge deployed, something like those would definitely be at the top of the list. However, all throughout history of weapons adoption programs, the change to a different caliber has never been considered due to logistics and cost.

Food? I heard 'Roo is pretty good eating, if a little tough.

As far as on (or less slightly askew of) topic; Have you seen/heard of the Grendel 6.5mm? Thoughts/opinions on the 6.5 round?

Roos actually make good hambugers.

Boy, you ain't lived until you've spent an afternoon obliterating cinderblocks with an SKS or a sporterized AK.

Bolt actions for me are more fun than a fully automatic rifle. Then again I hate my DPMS Sporticle 556.

Pew

pew

pew

pew

pew

pew

Jam

wtf? *safety. pull charging handle till it lock all the way back. looks into rifle*

ffffffffffffff

finds a round still in the chamber with a live round stuck and pointing into the mag

few minutes later and clear the rifle of the jam

sets rifle down

goes back to k98k

Sounds like a case of cheap mags causing feeding issues, Hunter. Buy some nicer magazines and make sure you keep your innards nice and clean. DPMS makes fine ARs, but any AR is going to be high-maintenance because that's just the nature of the beast.

Exactly I should have bought a m-14 for as much as I spent on the rifle.

Hey, if you really hate that gun that much I'll take it off your hands. :awesome:

Ok should cost you about $800... Only used it a couple of times and upgraded it with a guad rail :D btw im keeping the eotech sight. Only thing I hate about is how much I have to clean it every time I use it. My dads m-14 takes less time to clean and is easier to clean in the first place.

1276720971.hunterabrams_quadrail.jpg

Just kidding. Im not selling it. to much red tape and I use it for home defence.