Clicky

Mark Karlfeldt

What's going on in my state right now

Currently, my state of Queensland in Australia is experiencing the worst floods it has had since its history began being recorded. Several towns have been inundated in water, at least 11 dead and many more reported missing, with thousands being evacuated from their homes.

Mackay_flood_aerial_1.jpg

Where I live, it has been raining almost non-stop for about a week now, and while it won't flood where I live, the Brisbane City dam, Wivenhoe, is overflowing, and tomorrow, they're going to open the floodgate leading to the Brisbane River in order to help relieve it. This means that the water level will rise and flood along the bank, and the government is quickly trying to evacuate civilians from the areas expected to be affected. A lot of our famous landmarks lie along the river bank, whether or not they'll survive is anyone's guess.

Yesterday I was informed that a friend of mine was among the dead so far accounted for. I'm still pretty shit-feeling over the news. But the flooding in Brisbane could mean that many of my friends' homes and businesses could be destroyed. We've volunteered to let a friend stay where we live while the floods are ongoing, but it's unknown when it's going to stop. In all likelihood, too, internet services could be taken down, if not power as well, which means if I suddenly disappear you'll know why.

Update

I'll be heading into the city today to help the evacuation efforts. My favourite bar is going to be flooded and they need help moving thousands of dollars worth of grog.

Update 2

They've closed off all roads leading into the city. I can't get there to help. The floods have spread to the north of New South Wales, the state south of us. Over 2000 people are stranded. All the news stations are covering it 24/7.

/>http://news.ninemsn.com.au/livestreaming/newsroom/?player=silverlight ( requires Silverlight to watch )

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFSa2DoH3nk

Update 3

I went out (and got totally soaked) to get photos of the nearby "creek" after the rains.

S8DxM.jpg

What used to be a small trickling creek is now a torrential river.

W9f2O.jpg

There used to be a bridge going across the creek here. If you look hard you can see where the river is flowing (two feet) over the top of it.

Edited by Mark Karlfeldt

I'm with Ron. My condolences for the loss of your friend.

I know how floods are. I was born in Orlando, Florida and moved all over the state until settling in the more southern parts (Just before moving to Colorado). Lived through about 5 or so Hurricanes, in which the names have evaded me. Most produced flooding, a few tore peoples' houses apart (Tore apart the screen enclosure of my back patio and turned my old POS Pool into a Frog Pavilion), and i do recall having a tornado touch down not 30 feet from my house. Only an F-1 or F-2, but scary as hell.

But yeah...that blows man. I'm sorry.

The flood is in its third (or fourth?) day now. The water level is still rising, and is expected to peak at 5.5m in Brisbane, at tomorrow at 1PM. This means at least 2000 more buildings will be flooded.

I went to see the river itself today. It has swallowed a lot of places which I used to frequent. Most of the roads are blocked off, so I had to park and walk a few hundred metres to see. South Bank, which used to be an upper-class business district and my favourite hangout, is submerged. My father's workplace has water filling the first floor, basement and carpark. It will be two weeks just to pump the water out, and months to clean up and replace everything that has been lost. I saw boats along with their pontoons ripped up, and corpses of horses, cows and dogs were floating downriver. I don't think I'll ever forget that image in my lifetime.

The death toll is currently at 13, but with the amount of sewage in the water, already places are reporting outbreaks of E. Coli, Cholera, etc. People in affected areas are being advised to boil their water before they drink it. The death count will most certainly rise as disease spreads. At least 70 are still reported missing.

The estimated damage report is at 11bn dollars. It could kill our economical output by several percent for the rest of 2011.

My internet connection is interrupted frequently. Tomorrow I leave for several days on a trip to Sydney. I'm not sure what will remain when I return.

At times I just want to sit and cry. It's hard not to think about what's going on only a few kilometres away, or how many of my friends have had their entire homes lost.

167964_483213985282_621365282_6434459_4818118_n.jpg

Edited by Mark Karlfeldt