Clicky

Ron Bleac

The Zombie Survival Thread

1. use already owned guns to raid wal-mart for provisions and extra guns and ammo
  2. repeat at local gun stores
  3. drive to Galveston
  4. hijack a nuclear or crude oil fueled cargo ship
  5. live on the ocean till zombies no longer exist and pirate all needed to survive via smaller boat raiding parties / refuel at sea-based oil well.

1. use already owned guns to raid wal-mart for provisions and extra guns and ammo
  2. repeat at local gun stores
  3. drive to Galveston
  4. hijack a nuclear or crude oil fueled cargo ship
  5. live on the ocean till zombies no longer exist and pirate all needed to survive via smaller boat raiding parties / refuel at sea-based oil well.

Who says Zombies can't swim.. mmm ? I know this is a tactic used BUT... has anyone seen a zombie drown?

I've been watching the video, by the way, that Pat posted. Mad Cow does not transfer to humans when "infected" meat is eaten, as they said in the video. You can contract something called vCJD by eating the spinal cord or brain of an infected animal, but at a low risk. No cases of vCJD have been reported in the U.S., despite the claims that mad cow was "rampant" many years ago. Mad Cow also, as I understood it, came from English farmers feeding their cows the remains of dead cows ground up in regular feed.

They can't exactly climb the hull of a ship, though. I say we go Fallout 2 and get an oil rig.

thats my theory behind the floating island tactic. (oil rig or cargo ship)

That even if they COULD swim, or walk underwater, I dont think they would be physically able to climb the hull of the ship in the middle of the ocean.

Give me a 12 guage shotgun with both slugs and buckshot.

A 9mm pistol with hollow point rounds.

And a machette.

The oil rig idea is a good one except for one thing; food supply.

In theory, if you could transport a large amount of dirt ontop of the oil rig, you could establish a small garden, BUT for that you'd need a large transport chopper. Given the liklihood that fuel for the chopper is NOT going to be readily available, you will want to consider ways to make it steam powered for the sake of a reknewable fuel supply, while you use up the last of the fossil fuel. Thus the chopper, when making supply runs, can grab wood as well for the sake of its own fuel. An ineffecient method yes, but at least it's reknewable. The chopper though is a great choice for transport, better than a ship becuase of its speed, the fact it can go inland, the fact it is air and thus avoids all the zombies. Though its size, when compared to a larger ship, is a downside. As well, ships cannot effectively dock with oil rigs can they? I always thought ships that close to an oil rig were considered dangerous for the rig.

If you need ground travel, get something with a low center of gravity, alot of power and a very strong body; a humvee is one of the best choices IMO but old cadillacs from the 70s or earlier are another great choice. But again, you are going to need to consider how to address the dwindling fuel supply.

Becuase remember.. an oil rig ISNT a refinery. Now if you had access to an oil rig AND a refinery? Well you will pretty much be the center of a growing post apocalyptic empire as you control one of the best sources of energy.

I was actually going to post that. Haha.

Give me a 12 guage shotgun with both slugs and buckshot.

A 9mm pistol with hollow point rounds.

And a machette.

The oil rig idea is a good one except for one thing; food supply.

In theory, if you could transport a large amount of dirt ontop of the oil rig, you could establish a small garden, BUT for that you'd need a large transport chopper. Given the liklihood that fuel for the chopper is NOT going to be readily available, you will want to consider ways to make it steam powered for the sake of a reknewable fuel supply, while you use up the last of the fossil fuel. Thus the chopper, when making supply runs, can grab wood as well for the sake of its own fuel. An ineffecient method yes, but at least it's reknewable. The chopper though is a great choice for transport, better than a ship becuase of its speed, the fact it can go inland, the fact it is air and thus avoids all the zombies. Though its size, when compared to a larger ship, is a downside. As well, ships cannot effectively dock with oil rigs can they? I always thought ships that close to an oil rig were considered dangerous for the rig.

If you need ground travel, get something with a low center of gravity, alot of power and a very strong body; a humvee is one of the best choices IMO but old cadillacs from the 70s or earlier are another great choice. But again, you are going to need to consider how to address the dwindling fuel supply.

Becuase remember.. an oil rig ISNT a refinery. Now if you had access to an oil rig AND a refinery? Well you will pretty much be the center of a growing post apocalyptic empire as you control one of the best sources of energy.

Most older ships run on "Bunker Fuel" which is relatively close to crude oil and ships have run off crude oil for a time. Diesel boats can run off cooking oil (itll eat up engine after a time, but who cares its the apocalypse) as well, since less people own diesel its going to be in higher availability. Theres a good chance you could siphon some from gas stations for a few months longer than regular, depending on the living population taking from it. The goal with the floating island carrier / oil rig would be to use one of the ones that are visible from land, so trips can be made for supplies in smaller craft. On the cargo ship (even if left stationary beside oil rig) you have plenty of room for food production and living. Vertical gardens do not require a lot of soil, and there several non-soil ways to grow plants.

What about a dam? Access to possible fishing and still connected to ground travel, but you also have that bottleneck that you need.

The bottleneck works both ways, Id prefer not to be stuck on a strip of cement with only 2 entrances/ exits that can get clogged by a horde of zombies.

My land option would be to fortify a prison. Most have castle-like walls as well as razer-wire fences around them. Plenty of space to grow food or livestock. Armory, Infirmary, and various other necessities are available. Most are off by themselves so you should have plenty of opportunities to leave for resupplies. If you DO get over run because someone left the big giant steel door open then you can funnel them all into the cell block area, lock it down (if you are keeping generators fueled) and have a zombie turkey shoot from the guard walk-ways. You can also manufacture escape plans (dropping ladder over wall or some shit) since it would take a "you're Ffffed anyway" amount of zombies to actually surround a prison with impunity.

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/colony/

This show taught me a few things.. for example how to purify water with a tesla coil. If anyone feels the desire to watch this, as it's pretty interesting for only 2 seasons, despite obvious moments of it being slightly staged. Season one I found more interesting as the 'survivors' were engineers, contractors, doctors, etc. as opposed to models and teachers.

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/colony/

This show taught me a few things.. for example how to purify water with a tesla coil. If anyone feels the desire to watch this, as it's pretty interesting for only 2 seasons, despite obvious moments of it being slightly staged. Season one I found more interesting as the 'survivors' were engineers, contractors, doctors, etc. as opposed to models and teachers.

wood gas-ifier FOR LIFE

You cant assume that will have any effect on them. They walk with mising chunks of body, without much blood, rigor mortis not really setting in ect. Aside from the unique elemental hazards of the areas (avalanches, getting frozen in spot if staying still too long (zombies tend to just stand around if they have eaten recently and theres no food in sight), unable to navigate sand and snow ect. I dont think the temperature will throw them off by itself

Zombies dont really decompose past a certain point. At least (obviously) in theory. Their 'life' is the existence of animated tissue that wouldnt normally function for a multitude of reasons.

I suppose it would really depend on the cause of zombification. If its classic zombies then its some sort of magical force that re-animates the dead and stops their bodies from rotting further and so temperature would not really effect.

If disease / infection that can essentially be parasites or something that pushes the body to basic function past norm / still kinda magic but "infection / diseased" based then the temperature could have more effect.

Theres a few kind of zombies, classic night of the living dead style and the more recent 28 days later "Rage virus" style where they retain more muscle function because they arent really 'dead' just infected. Or the happy middle "The Walking Dead" style where corpses re-animate from a magic airborne infection that only effects you on death. Everyone is infected while alive.

I did not read your post in its entirety. Barring some sort of bullshit magical zombie or 28 Days Later style shit, everything dead decomposes, period. In fact, even a brainless automaton would be bound to get cuts and scrapes which would likely become infected due to lack of hygiene and eventually rot. It's just a matter of waiting out your enemy.

As Disembodied pointed out.. not all zombies are presented as dead things.

Infact, realisticly speaking, were some kind of 'zombie apocalypse' to occur, it would likely be a more 'rage' type disease.

We have diseases now that, even if temporary, can strip humans of their sentience. Ever had a really serious fever or other very serious head-cold? You can be left conscious, but incoherent and unaware. Aggressive impulses, a drive to satisfy natural needs (like the need to feed), are all VERY easily influenced since at their root, they are all chemical reactions in the brain, and any illness that has left you conscious but catatonic has already Ffffed your brain over.

A very I am Legend sort of infection really, just strip it of the physical changes since those kind of changes arent really possible, not on a time scale as presented in that setting.

This kind of "zombie" is still alive; just stripped to basic need for sustenance and its unbridled rage. YES, killing this kind would be DAMNED easy since they would in essence just be humans and not some magical zombie. But I really do think this is the "worst" that could happen when thinking of a zombie scenario.