Clicky

Desereck Creeggan

Computer's Screwed

So, today I thought it was a fantabuloustic idea to uninstall Nortan 360. I had been dealing with the ~6 hour popups for two years and the last one just snapped me, so I performed a full uninstall. Everything's going great. Nice raging T-storm outside.

Lightning strikes, power goes out. No big deal. Computer and modem/router reboot. Try to connect to the internet: Error 102 (net::ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED)

Try to connect to 192.168.0.1, same error. Try to connect to 192.168.1.1, error. Unplug from router/modem and then try. Same error (wtf). Use friend's laptop to get on internet (proving it /was/ my machine with the problem) and search for solution. Tried everything, same error.

Try to system restore, error on c drive. Check for errors, failed to open c drive. Ffff.

Do different restore using reinstallation of Windows 7+ all program files moved to c:\backup. Start. 10 minutes later, lightning strikes again, knocks power out.

Mother Ffffer.

Reboot computer.

LPJCB is missing

ctrl alt delete to restart

Loop.

I'm about to have a nervous breakdown. My computer is my baby.

See if you can convince your friend to lend you his laptop and a USB stick, and see if you can download a redist of Linux Mint. Put it onto the USB as a mobile OS, use that to boot up, back up as much as you can and start downloading an OS image to make a disk out of. Mint - if your internet connection is fine it can download some basic drivers, but odds are you won't be able to hop on SL or anything.

It's time consuming, but it's safe.

If you can't even get that far, however, simply pack it up and take it to a computer hardware store - you may need a BIOS flash or reset, and that's not somethin' I'd recommend you do on your own.

I had this happen to me a while back. As it turned out with MY problem though, it led me to purchasing a new motherboard and power supply.

(Also one of the reasons why I keep a copy of Windows XP or some nonsense on my backup drive, in case my C drive shits the bed. Can you get to the boot device menu and see if it'll boot from a backup drive / Disk Drive?)

I had this storm issue happen to an old pc except it didn't turn back on a day after the thunder storm. Turned out the CD-ROM Motherboard, Hard drive and Power supply were dead. If its having issues hardware wise your hardware is probably fried/ or currently dying from the storm.

This is why I hate thunderstorms. And Usually am not online during them because I turn off my pc and unplug everything to prevent the risk of that.

I also tried to system restore my current pc once because it had a stupid fake virus scanner virus install itself and it kept blocking everything and the restore was stuck for hours so i had to force reset. and ended up Ffffing up my OS had to take out my HD hook it to another pc and grab what files i could to put on my external. Then format reinstalled Windows 7 on my hard drive and put my crap back on.

Everything hardware is fine. I have everything on a surge protector (thank god, if I also lost my GTX460 I'd be murdering some Symantec people right about now). I can get to the boot drive (F10) and I found some old ass XP boot disks I burned back in 2004, but the recovery stops when it asks me to reinsert Disk 1.

It's all software related, essentially my OS uninstalled itself and I have no way to install a new OS. With every OS being out of my price range, no way in hell I'm getting a new OS any time soon unless I can somehow find my Unbuntu disk I got years and years ago.

Everything I had on my computer is deleted and/or corrupted.

Which win7 flavor did you have and do you have a valid license key for it ?

I have access to official MS iso's but not every flavor.

I have never heard of LPJCB though but it sounds like Norton might have nailed your network card initially.

On the lightning strike note, I have my pc behind an UPS for that same reason. But we do not have our power/phone lines above ground like a large part of the US >.>

That said, a direct lightning strike will fry everything no matter what kind of surge protection you have, it will arc through everything. Most damage comes from the field generated by the bolt.

^ This.

On a side note, maybe LPJCB is like the Win7 version of NTLDR? because I remember when this happened to my PC back then, this was nearly the exact problem I had. It would attempt to boot, but then go to a black screen saying "NTLDR is missing. Press Ctrl-Alt-Delete to restart."

Long-story-short, I had to buy a new Motherboard, Processor, and Power Supply. (PS and Processor were for compatability reasons. My MB doesn't accept anything below Pentium 4.)

EDIT: After a little bit of digging on google, which proved to be of NO help at all, i've come to the conclusion that LPJCB might be the Loader for Windows 7. But this guess is solely based off of the fact that the same message appears when WIndows XP's loader dies / fails, as the same message will appear, instead with "NTLDR."

Either that, or it's what Inoue said, and it tore your Network card alive on the first strike, and then killed the rest on the Double-Tap.

I had a torrented version of Win7 Ultimate, although I do have a valid key for vista on the sticker on the back of my computer (which is why I torrented win7).

My friend says he has a Vista disk, though he wants to install it on his computer first... which doesn't have a hard drive ... before letting me use it. So I have no clue if/when I could get my hands on it to re-torrent Win7.

I can still get to the F10 boot menu, but now if I let it run it goes to Gateway recovery because of my multiple attempts to restore using my WinXP disks instead of going to LPJCB.

The only good thing about this is that my 560GB drive will be empty now.

If getting a boot disk that actually works doesn't help, I am extremely Ffffed. No way I'm going to be able to afford a new processor or MB (my PSU should be fine).

Yea what Krow said, you can also try going to a computer store and ask for a copy of the media without a license. Just say you had a computer crash and the media is nowhere to be found.

I'm assuming you have an OEM sticker.

Also ... i keep losing track of this topic >.> Just send me an IM if you want me to put up an iso somewhere. Last resort would be to ask someone to ship you a cd by mail.

Okay, so I managed to install Windows XP on my computer from a disk I found at work. Problem is my internet connection doesn't work, and neither does a bunch of other junk like my video card. Gateway is trying to get me to pay $99 to restore my computer back to Vista, Qwest/Century Link keeps referring me to Gateway because of some driver issues and I'm still treading water.

I do have an OEM sticker for Vista Home Premium, but I doubt I could go to a store and ask for a disk without having to pay for the entire thing again. Looking at google most people are saying I need drivers (even though I supposedly installed them all from the disk). Pulling up the Gateway website for my computer (Gateway FX4710) doesn't show any driver downloads.

It looks like what I need is the ethernet driver for the internet, since all of my "other devices" under Device Manager shows up as yellow ?. Sound card also doesn't work lol.

The most promising thing I've seen is http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=8&sqi=2&ved=0CF8QFjAH&url=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2FGateway-FX4710-Drivers-Recovery-Restore-DISC-7-XP-Vista-%2F250749791952&ei=2jpmToCIE9CHsAL9_vj4DA&usg=AFQjCNGclLETVHAVgn5RkY_WB9ZBOD9A1g

Just download those at work onto a usb stick.

Open up your computer, check the brand/model of the motherboard, check the website for that for ethernet drivers.

Good chance its realtek or intel.

Once you have those you can just download the rest of the drivers from the comfort of your own home.

I looked at what official iso's i can get for vista but thats only business and enterprise.

If you have one of those computer shops ran by students, you can probably get a copy of a vista cd there. Never hurts to ask.

Also, i'm pretty sure MS *demands* manufacturers to supply either an OEM disk or some other kind of recovery method on CD/DVD when they sell a machine to someone >.>

I had money to blow and I walked into BestBuy. Wanted the best desktop I could buy without having to assemble anything and the FX4710 was the best thing they had. For being from 2008, it's still a powerhouse computer.

Left my computer torrenting Windows 7 last night, was at 60% when I left for work. Hopefully I'll be running back up to 100% this weekend.