Clicky

CaptainSharkFin

So I have a rifle concept...

ThoramSAR-2.png

This is as close to a "final" model as I can get, with the magazine included. The rifle butt was improved vastly, and the actual casing over the barrel has been shortened. Also, the red dot sight and the area it was mounted on was lowered to be more in line with the end point.

If I was able to, I could put textures on it to make it look better.

One thing I would suggest is to apply bevelling to the edges, like around the grip and along the top of the rifle. While they generally are pretty sharp / noticeable edges in reality, it doesn't look totally natural. And a razor-sharp edged grip would be incredibly uncomfortable to hold. ;[

One thing I would suggest is to apply bevelling to the edges, like around the grip and along the top of the rifle. While they generally are pretty sharp / noticeable edges in reality, it doesn't look totally natural. And a razor-sharp edged grip would be incredibly uncomfortable to hold. ;[

That's beveling? Thank you!

ThoramSAR-3.png

The whole model was modified with beveling. I'll need to go back in there and change some things around.

Since I'm proud of this work, I thought I would provide periodical updates whenever I change something major.

As you can (probably) see here, the design is much shorter than it was intended. I took out the cartridge for the sake of adding it in as a sculpt if, and when, I decide to upload this weapon onto SL. The underails have also gone through a major redesign - and they don't even look like underails, anymore.

All right. I've restarted the project, and it's already looking a whole lot better because, as I've learned, it's easier to fix things when they're their own objects and prims. I've edited the casing over the barrel, the handle and the forward grip, and I'm now working on the rifle stock - each as their own objects, which was the largest mistake I made when I was editing the original draft (I edited them all as a single object, which made it flipping difficult.) All of this has been done in the span of one hour, since now I know what I'm doing and how to do it.

ThoramAFCS.png

I've reworked it to be a lot slimmer, and a bit more compact to look more aesthetically pleasing. The "palm grip" as I called it behind the trigger was taken out entirely to allow the rifle to be more compact, and the magazine easier to place.

All I need to figure out is this: Basically, I've made the face where the barrel goes through completely hollow, so that I can fit a twelve-vertices circle inside. After I do that, how can I fill in the spots between the edges surrounding the circle? Or should I look into making the "barrel" square and just stretched out?

Well you could ask a certain other sharky that makes these things.

Keller doesn't use Blender, and I don't know if all 3D Modeling programs are universal in design.

In edit mode, tap A twice to select all the vertecies, then tap CTRL+N to flip all the normals outside. Should fix a handful of issues you're having. Secondly, tap ALT+J while you still have all the vertecies selected, this will force all of them, at least the nearest groups, to be Quads, which are easier to model with than triangles.

Your topology is looking really highpoly and in other areas, very low poly. Use a decimate modifier on parts of it to fix that. Likewise, delete those loops of vertecies that are making seams in the model, on the stock and the trigger guard(?), and join the two objects, select the end loops of vertecies (Alt+ Right click) and connect them by tapping F -> skin edge loops.